Goddard Says.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Goddard Says.....

Goddard urges Saints to respect him

By Tim Clarke
2 October 2012 02:44PM EST
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... spect-him/

While not at Essendon in person, Goddard was ostensibly unveiled as a Bomber on Tuesday after making the switch on the first day of the AFL's new free agency era.

His now former coach Scott Watters was not best pleased, hinting that the move was for money not football.

But Goddard, 27, told the Essendon website he was grateful to both clubs for the chance, and hoped the St Kilda fans would respect his right to move.

“I would like to thank James Hird and the Essendon Football Club for the opportunity they have presented me, and I look forward to committing everything I have to them just as I have done for St Kilda over the past 10 years,” Goddard said.

“Career decisions are always difficult and this has certainly been the case for myself.

“I’d like to thank the St Kilda Football Club for everything, especially my teammates, many of who will always be close friends away from the football field.

"While I appreciate that many St Kilda supporters will be disappointed with my decision but I hope they respect it.”

Goddard is in the United States to attend Nick Riewoldt's wedding - and will then join the Bombers at their pre-season training camp in Colorado in early November.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/a/God ... bers/10032

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard Says.....

you've got buckley's chance of that bj....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
jimmy_slats
Club Player

wouldn't it be hirds chance of that ?

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Why should I, as a supporter, respect his decision? I don't. Hope pick 13 brings us our next Rooey, Lenny or Harves. Don't wish BJ any bad luck, but I hope Essendon regret what they have done.

SS Life Member

That's some poor use of the English language there.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

True Believer says "bite me BJ........."

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Can't argue that he didn't given us his all while with us.

His efforts were superhuman on the days that really matter, neither he or Lenny could ever toss and turn at night thinking that they didn't do everything possible on those days.

Was hugely significant to me seeing an era that while we ultimately fell short, was enjoyable none the less.

No hard feelings from me, certainly not while I don't know the inner workings of it all.

Thought it interesting Jimmy Hird says he will play mainly in the midfield, moving a bit around the ground, that sounds exactly what BJ desired. He had to 'wait his turn' this year and didn't get a shot in there until pretty late in the season, and maybe what his manager referred to when he mentioned 'opportunity'

Dunno, it's all surmising isn't it, but sure helps pass the off season ;)

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Didnt give us anything for 3 seasons - Highly respect him as a football player not sure as a person though

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:Didnt give us anything for 3 seasons - Highly respect him as a football player not sure as a person though
Do you know him as a person?

i dont respect or disrespect him or his decision.

We all know it was purely for money so Essendon have purchased themselves a mercenary.

But that is not a critisism, loyalty is for fans not players who have to earn the most they can in my view.

But lets call a spade a spade. Goddard went to Essendon purely for more money therefore a mercenary with eyes on the $$$$$.

If the Esendon culture can take that, if the captain and senior players who have sweated blood for their team while it has been crap for years are cool with a mercenary coming in and getting paid more than all of them, if the player group can take seeing mates and clubmen offloaded to accommodate a bloke who is after money - good lck to them.

On the coin he is on, Goddard better perform to his GF levels every single game for the Dons or the players like Watson etc will have legitimate questions to ask.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:We all know it was purely for money so Essendon have purchased themselves a mercenary.

But that is not a critisism, loyalty is for fans not players who have to earn the most they can in my view.

But lets call a spade a spade. Goddard went to Essendon purely for more money therefore a mercenary with eyes on the $$$$$.
How do we know?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:We all know it was purely for money so Essendon have purchased themselves a mercenary.

How do we know?
You calling both Watters who openly stated it was purely for money, and Goddards manager who publicly stated that Goddard had no falling out with the coach or anybody at the club, liars?

I am going off available information that is on the public record, not heresay.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SainterK wrote:

How do we know?
You calling both Watters who openly stated it was purely for money, and Goddards manager who publicly stated that Goddard had no falling out with the coach or anybody at the club, liars?

I am going off available information that is on the public record, not heresay.
Certainly not.

You like to assume a bit in your posting JB?

Scott can say the club offered BJ significantly above 500K and it's technically not a lie....

He doesn't have to clarify that this was the contract offer earlier in the season, and not the reduced one that the media like Robbo keep hearing a bit about.

Of course it was about money...

I'm sure BJ hasn't fallen out with anyone, the club invited him to test the FA market when he requested to sit down with them again and discuss a 4th year on the basis of conditions met in the third.

He was already was one of the highest paid players at the club, that was no big revelation.

markp
Saintsational Legend

$1.9million over 3 vs $2.9million over 4 is a no brainer for just about anyone.

What we'll never know is how much he would've accepted from us over 4, and/or how much we could have got him for during the season... before suggesting he test the market.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

hAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE DECISION
Didn't have a problem with Hamill or Gehrig coming to us so would be a hypocrite to slag off BJ.
As K mentioned earlier he was a great performer on the days that mattered, so no hard feelings at all.
Hope we lift the cup every year but if not in it I would prefer BJ or Ball to do so rather than LYon/Dawson.
Bj owes us nothing and didn't play ducks and drakes with the decision to go(nor did the club)
Good result all round.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Can't argue that he didn't given us his all while with us.

His efforts were superhuman on the days that really matter, neither he or Lenny could ever toss and turn at night thinking that they didn't do everything possible on those days.

Was hugely significant to me seeing an era that while we ultimately fell short, was enjoyable none the less.

No hard feelings from me, certainly not while I don't know the inner workings of it all.

Thought it interesting Jimmy Hird says he will play mainly in the midfield, moving a bit around the ground, that sounds exactly what BJ desired. He had to 'wait his turn' this year and didn't get a shot in there until pretty late in the season, and maybe what his manager referred to when he mentioned 'opportunity'

Good luck with playing him in the midfield. He proved beyond doubt last year when Lenny was out that be ain't a midfielders left nut. Does not win his own footy and is below average below his knees
He is a great loose man in defense but u don't pay those guys 700k a year

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Well it pretty much all makes me vommit - but I will not hold it against BJ - if we refused the 4th year - making a Million bucks difference to my guaranteed wages over 4 years - well I would be a moron not to take it.
And also - for those who say how LOYAL Roo is - I want to know what he is on per game over the past three years.
AND This is how they do it:

Meanwhile, Essendon has refuted as "categorically false" comments made by former Bombers chairman Ray Horsburgh that he had told the club he would offer Goddard a job.

The Herald Sun reported today Horsburgh had offered the Bombers help in his role as chairman of transport company Toll. Under AFL rules, third-party deals cannot be offered to help clubs lure opposition players.

Essendon today said it had never "received or discussed any employment matter with Brendon other than his playing contract with the club".

"The suggestion that a third party or related party deal has been tabled to help secure Brendan is factually incorrect," it said in a statement.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/g ... z287W4tsPm

Oooh I am so sure it is categorically false - lets se where BJ works in the next 12 months?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What annoys me is how little passion BJ played with this year for the most part.

I'm sure he will be better at Essendon. You simply have to on that sort of money unless you have have no self respect.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:

Good luck with playing him in the midfield. He proved beyond doubt last year when Lenny was out that be ain't a midfielders left nut. Does not win his own footy and is below average below his knees
Moved into the midfield around Rd 18 this year didn't he, against the Dogs?

The last six weeks of the season, while playing rotating through the midfield and forward.

Averaged 26 disposals, 8 contested possessions, 2.5 clearances, 9 score involvements, 1 goal, 1.5 assists per game.

I know where I'd play him.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

How can I possibly respect a man who lied time and time again about his dedication to St Kilda. He accepted a life membership to the club I passionatly support the turned around and walked out, to Essendon of all places, for the money.

The thing footy players dont get is that their former teammates, coaches, staff and friends get over it, some of them very quickly, because its a job to them. The ones that get hurt the most are the supporters. I like my job and I couldnt care less when someone leaves but I love my footy club and those wounds dont heal easily.

So expect a pretty hostile reception when we play your new team Greedard. You throughly deserve it

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:

Spot on BBMD. SW gave him plenty of opportunities in the midfield and he didn't show enough to justify a king's ransom to keep him. I still maintain his drop off in form over the past 2 years was due to his dodgy hip. He's not been the same since surgery on it. He may make a full recovery and return to his 2010 best, but I doubt it. Hip injuries are generally career killers. He also has to contend with the "expertise" of Dean "the weapon" Robinson (former rodeo clown). If he's not stuffed now, he soon will be. Maybe he's done a "Templeton" and provided his club with compensation, knowing he's actually pretty stuffed. Just a thought.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
mordi
Club Player

yes it's a job to these guys...but boy they put a lot more into their job than most people.....

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/20 ... ttered.jpg

I honestly believe BJ put his heart and soul into the team every time he ran onto that ground in red, white and black. If he didnt he was a good actor.

What's the Point of it All?
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

BringBackMadDog wrote:Good luck with playing him in the midfield. He proved beyond doubt last year when Lenny was out that be ain't a midfielders left nut. Does not win his own footy and is below average below his knees
thats the truth
it wasnt just this year, it was 2011 as well under Lyon who was forced to try and "play" him into form while he got his head right, it didnt work
This was not a case of the club trying to make him into a different kind of footballer, it was two different lots of coaching staff trying to find a good skilled, highly paid player a place on the ground. Good luck Hird

Seeya
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

mordi wrote:yes it's a job to these guys...but boy they put a lot more into their job than most people.....

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/20 ... ttered.jpg

I honestly believe BJ put his heart and soul into the team every time he ran onto that ground in red, white and black. If he didnt he was a good actor.
Correction, Mordi
SOME put more effort into their job - and BJ was one of them - especially in games that seemed to matter more.
Like GFs - and I could name a few of our players - who are highly paid who seemed to put in less effort in the big games for many fewer possessions. Why is that? Some choke and some perform?
I hate losing a player who had that jeune se quois.
We have failed with the work that needed to be done on his headspace.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Played one outstanding game, took a couple of speccys and kicked a freakish torpedo goal against Freo about 7 years ago... Apart from that he's played a lot of standard drift in/drift out of the contest type footy matches... Really not worth paying the $$$$$$$ for.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I respect the work he put in over the years.... For St.Kilda.

He is now an Essendon player. He can go flower himself.

Two club player. A mercenary who left for the money.

Will not be remembered as a club great by either club.

I look forward to watching him sook like a petulant schoolboy when someone doesnt kick it to him.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....