Rioli and Natinui disgrace

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Rioli and Natinui disgrace

And why the afl is a compromised marketing piece of SH#T

How either could even be considered in front of

Mitchell, Swallow, Hayes, Selwood, Sidebottom, O, Keefe, Rockliff, Scotland..... Any other person with half decent numbers who could play HF/Mid

Maric, Jacobs, Giles, Pavlich, Walker, Petrie as a Tall fwd or second Ruck

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rioli and Natinui disgrace

Mitchell for Rioli, Jacobs for Nic-Nat only changes I'd make....

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Footy Classified were wondering how Dempster got a spot, they all thought there were better players than Dempster for the Back Pocket.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Footy Classified were wondering how Dempster got a spot, they all thought there were better players than Dempster for the Back Pocket.
They also made a good point that Milne got the nod, and finished 12th in our B&F

It's all opinion based really isn't it Bob, and no two are usually the same.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Yeah Nic and Cyril surprised me too, Jacobs and Selwood very stiff IMO.

Footy Classified have got no idea.

Sean Dempster only had 20 goals kicked on him all year and that's despite playing on blokes like Franklin, who was probably one of the only forwards to really get hold of him all year and without checking the stats I'd guess he'd have at least 10kgs and probably 5-6cms on him!!!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I can't understand the Rioli one. Doesn't consistently string games together and when he plays, only plays in spurts and touches it 10 times

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

At least Rioli or Natinui could try and post some strong consistent numbers..... To back their inclusions

Rioli 15 touches a game, 1.6 goals.... Just awesome as a stay at home fwd....

Nat is not even first Ruck at his own club???

Maybe if Brooce, and BT didn't bar up when the are within 5 meters of the ball they might get somewhere near their deserved rating

On Milney and Dempster
Their positions definitely debatable but could at least post numbers to justify inclusion....

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Probably one of the 'weakest' ever AA teams picked

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yep they were in because of their colour. It makes sense that the panel would do that.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I would have had Maric or just Cox as ruck and ROK/Jetta/Mitch/Sidey if I had done the team but I thought the team was quite reasonable. You are never going to have 22 perfect.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I can't understand the Rioli one. Doesn't consistently string games together and when he plays, only plays in spurts and touches it 10 times
How many times a game do you reckon Milne touches it? Rioli touches it more than 10 times anyway.

Look at it this way, if you were picking a team and you had to choose between Rioli and Milney, who would you choose? It's a no brainer for me. Rioli is a far better footballer, HOWEVER Milney plays the fwd pocket position as well as anyone. Rioli does create more with his possessions and opens up the play, but Milne does what a fwd pocket is expected to do - kick goals. I'm happy with both of them in there.

As for Dempster - had a great year, and that's what AA is all about - the year that you have had. Not the career that you have had. I can't help but feel though that Watters had an influence indirectly on this. He constantly pumped Dempster up all year to the media to the point that everyone started to notice him. Good work Scottie :wink:
Last edited by Moods on Tue 18 Sep 2012 10:49am, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yep they were in because of their colour. It makes sense that the panel would do that.
It's nothing to do with colour moreso a lack of consistency from both.

They're brilliant players but they provide more highlight reels than anything else. On a more consistent level they would be walk up starts

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Look at it this way, if you were picking a team and you had to choose between Rioli and Milney, who would you choose? It's a no brainer for me.
that's incorrect though

it's best player in that season not overall, or basing it on age, balance etc

Moods
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Moods wrote: Look at it this way, if you were picking a team and you had to choose between Rioli and Milney, who would you choose? It's a no brainer for me.
that's incorrect though

it's best player in that season not overall, or basing it on age, balance etc

I know that. But the blathering on here and other forums about Rioli astounds me. I reckon he's a brilliant footballer. Creates something whenever he goes near the ball. Almost always indirectly results in a scoring opportunity. Can't say that about Milney who is very hit and miss, and will turn the ball over more.

Look, not saying Milney didn't deserve his spot, cos he did, but it's certainly debateable.

As for Nic Nat - I wouldn't have had him as first ruck - but he is the best tap ruckman in the comp bar none - I don't care what the numbers say about others. He demolishes everyone. The only ruckman in the comp who can compete with him is Sandilands. Cox and Nic Nat as the rucks are fine by me - Let's just be grateful that they have given Dempster and Milney the nod....

SinCitySainter
Club Player

It is nothing to do with their colour, it is do with the fact that they are media darlings.
Bruce goes "fifty shades of grey" at even a mention of either of them.
Rioli had a good year but not as good as any of Swallow, Mitchell, Sidebottom or Rockliff.
However, none of them are covered in the media's man custard like Cyril and Nic-Nat.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol no selwood no pav

lol

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:lol no selwood no pav

lol
Pav shouldn't have got in IMO M...

I can't believe Mitchell didn't make it in.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yep they were in because of their colour. It makes sense that the panel would do that.
It's nothing to do with colour moreso a lack of consistency from both.

They're brilliant players but they provide more highlight reels than anything else. On a more consistent level they would be walk up starts

Well I reckon the first post isnt saying that all.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The selectors made fools of themselves while being interviewed trying to justify selection. Apparently Jetta from Sydney was a lock at the Round 18 meeting of selectors but tapered off so lost his spot. Yet 3 players made it playing 18 or less. Rioli played 20 one as a sub the other he was subbed off with injury.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Saints43
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote:Bruce goes "fifty shades of grey" at even a mention of either of them.
That is to do with their colour. Bruce has never gone back.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:The selectors made fools of themselves while being interviewed trying to justify selection. Apparently Jetta from Sydney was a lock at the Round 18 meeting of selectors but tapered off so lost his spot. Yet 3 players made it playing 18 or less. Rioli played 20 one as a sub the other he was subbed off with injury.

Dont get your point at all. Bad games and injured players are the same thing. I doubt it.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:The selectors made fools of themselves while being interviewed trying to justify selection. Apparently Jetta from Sydney was a lock at the Round 18 meeting of selectors but tapered off so lost his spot. Yet 3 players made it playing 18 or less. Rioli played 20 one as a sub the other he was subbed off with injury.

Dont get your point at all. Bad games and injured players are the same thing. I doubt it.

What are you talking about? The selectors have basically said if Jetta had been injured for the last five rounds he would have been in. As it was he had a queit few games and missed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What are you talking about? The selectors have basically said if Jetta had been injured for the last five rounds he would have been in. As it was he had a queit few games and missed.

When did the selectors say that? I didnt hear it that way and anyway that is still different to poor games. He finished badly. Not playing isnt as bad as poor games.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Didnt you watch it last night? How is it differant please tell me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Didnt you watch it last night? How is it differant please tell me.

Are poor games worse than not playing?