If we miss the eight....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

If we miss the eight....

Does that mean we play three teams who finished outside the top eight and two finalists twice next year? Not that I want to hang my hat on anything just curious is all.

It'll probably make bugger all difference really but worth thinking about.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: If we miss the eight....

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......... I think it means we won't be playing finals in 2012! That would probably be enough for me to contemplate right now! 2013 can take care of itself!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
kalsaint
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Does that mean we play three teams who finished outside the top eight and two finalists twice next year? Not that I want to hang my hat on anything just curious is all.

Yeah,

I dont really care about the 2013 draw as long as we dont get large numbers of 6 day breaks. This ultimately causes player injuries and soft tissues are prime.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Would be happy with the same draw as the Filth. Interstate trips this year, how many? Because Demetriou loves the Filth because they draw big crowds.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
sainter104
Club Player

as many interstate games and 6 day breaks and top 4 teams as the AFL can put on us what elsr would anyone expect. Saints have to be twice as good as anyone else to play finals. No gifts for Stkilda

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

How about some more day games?

That would be a start.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Does that mean we play three teams who finished outside the top eight and two finalists twice next year? Not that I want to hang my hat on anything just curious is all.

Yeah,

I dont really care about the 2013 draw as long as we dont get large numbers of 6 day breaks. This ultimately causes player injuries and soft tissues are prime.

So lets get this straight. You would rather play the top 5 from this season but have bugger all 6 day breaks because they cause injuries. I would suggest we have had one of the lowest injury counts in the AFL this year. On the other hand Essendon who hardly had a 6 day break have had about the most and nearly all soft tissue.

I would love to play GWS,Melbourne, Port Adelaide, GC and WB twice next year and have 10 6 day breaks.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:I dont really care about the 2013 draw as long as we dont get large numbers of 6 day breaks. This ultimately causes player injuries and soft tissues are prime.
we had quite a few six day breaks this year and f*** all soft tissue injuries.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote:Would be happy with the same draw as the Filth. Interstate trips this year, how many? Because Demetriou loves the Filth because they draw big crowds.
I'm for giving them less interstate games ... they seem to travel exceptionally well, and win nearly all of their away games.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Does that mean we play three teams who finished outside the top eight and two finalists twice next year?
I don't think so. We got three non-finalists this year - Gold Coast, Melbourne and the Dogs - as well as Sydney and Carlton.

We're unlikely to get a better run than that. Plus, it looks like we're selling home games again. So we're going to have to be better to be just as good.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
kalsaint wrote:I dont really care about the 2013 draw as long as we dont get large numbers of 6 day breaks. This ultimately causes player injuries and soft tissues are prime.
we had quite a few six day breaks this year and f*** all soft tissue injuries.
So a HUGE tick to our injury management team!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
battye
Saintsational Legend

We had a decent draw this year, albeit a lot of 6 day breaks. We put down games against Richmond, Port Adelaide, etc. That was our own doing.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Just to clarify. I couldn't really care less one way or the other. Just musing.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

We have played three of the bottom four teams twice this year, so I doubt it will improve next year. For the foreseeable future, especially under Coach Dud, we will be the team that other sides want to play twice each year.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Here's how the 'draw' works… as far as I can tell.

If Collingwood finish on the bottom, they play Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn & Richmond twice, 14-17 games at the MCG, Anzac day, Queens birthday, travel interstate 3-4 times & play only one Sunday match for the year…

If Collingwood win the flag or finish top 4, they play Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn & Richmond twice, 14-17 games at the MCG, Anzac day, Queens birthday, travel interstate 3-4 times & play only one Sunday match for the year…

Regardless of where we finish, we will travel interstate at least 6-8 times and be fixtured to play home games at a stadium that we lose money most weeks, because of a deal the AFL 'struck' with a superannuation company.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I would rather play the best teams more than the bottom teams if we are good enough we should beat anyone anywhere the whole "soft" draw might help get you into the finals but warm up games kicking 25 goals against GWS are not going to help you win a prelim .. That's why I think the crows are headed for straight set losses this year

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Here's how the 'draw' works… as far as I can tell.

If Collingwood finish on the bottom, they play Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn & Richmond twice, 14-17 games at the MCG, Anzac day, Queens birthday, travel interstate 3-4 times & play only one Sunday match for the year…

If Collingwood win the flag or finish top 4, they play Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn & Richmond twice, 14-17 games at the MCG, Anzac day, Queens birthday, travel interstate 3-4 times & play only one Sunday match for the year…

Regardless of where we finish, we will travel interstate at least 6-8 times and be fixtured to play home games at a stadium that we lose money most weeks, because of a deal the AFL 'struck' with a superannuation company.

Very emotive and playing with the truth to make it seem worse than it is. We travel 6 times a year not up to 8 and this year the pies travelled 5 times this year not 3 or 4 however the last few years it has been 4. We also make 100k every home game no matter the crowd and dont forget last week was a home game at the G against Melbourne and we got 23k there. We dont deserve home games at the G.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Very emotive and playing with the truth to make it seem worse than it is. We travel 6 times a year not up to 8 and this year the pies travelled 5 times this year not 3 or 4 however the last few years it has been 4. We also make 100k every home game no matter the crowd and dont forget last week was a home game at the G against Melbourne and we got 23k there. We dont deserve home games at the G.
Okay well emotion aside…
Collingwood generally (the past 5 years) only travel interstate 4 times per year…
StKilda usually travel interstate 6 times,
My point is that the draw doesn't reflect success or failure from the previous year,
A lot of the elements are absolutely fixed, e.g. Amount of interstate travel, marquee games, etc the richest 4 clubs will play each other twice regardless of where they were on the ladder the previous year.

The poor clubs will travel 2-3 more times per year than the rich clubs, and if you don't consider that a handicap you are absolutely kidding yourself…

You can call it good for the comp as much as you like, but there is no way that clubs like North can expect reasonable growth when they are banished to Sunday afternoons every week…

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Okay well emotion aside…
Collingwood generally (the past 5 years) only travel interstate 4 times per year…
StKilda usually travel interstate 6 times,
My point is that the draw doesn't reflect success or failure from the previous year,
A lot of the elements are absolutely fixed, e.g. Amount of interstate travel, marquee games, etc the richest 4 clubs will play each other twice regardless of where they were on the ladder the previous year.

The poor clubs will travel 2-3 more times per year than the rich clubs, and if you don't consider that a handicap you are absolutely kidding yourself…

You can call it good for the comp as much as you like, but there is no way that clubs like North can expect reasonable growth when they are banished to Sunday afternoons every week…

I would also argue that Hawthorn were a poorer club and look at them now. Also what comes first. North get banished to Sunday because they have bugger all support. i still say if they played 6 games on a friday they would have bugger all support.

Also travelling is overated if you are a top team. The year we won 20 games we won all ours away. We are a middle of the road side we win about half, same as at home.

After making 2 GF's we still cant get 40K members. That has nothing to do with the draw as we have had many Friday night games in the last few years. We are even going to play overseas because we just cant get the support. And people whing because we dont play Saturday afternoon at the G. Last week may explain why. We really do have many soft supporters.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Well it's not just a few Saints fans whinging… there is a ground swell opposing the current "method" for making the draw, ironically even Collingwood have come out this year saying that something needs to be done…

The AFL is a non-profit organisation
however
The CEO earns millions extra if certain profit margin and attendances figures are reached…

That is a clear conflict of interest.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Don't fugit weer pluying ova the dutch !

In red white and black from 73
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:How about some more day games?

That would be a start.
I agree, and preferably Saturday day games at 1.45pm

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:

That would be a start.
1.45, 2.10, 1.10 or even 3.10 I'm happy with.

I just want a mix of day and night games, not 85% night and Twlight.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

That would be a start.
1.45, 2.10, 1.10 or even 3.10 I'm happy with.

I just want a mix of day and night games, not 85% night and Twlight.

It certainly gets in the crowds.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:We have played three of the bottom four teams twice this year, so I doubt it will improve next year. For the foreseeable future, especially under Coach Dud, we will be the team that other sides want to play twice each year.
First you quote a fact and then you blend in your horseshit personal opinion of our coach. How did you judge Lyon after he was there for 10 months??