Which underestimated players should we snatch?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Southern Moss

Which underestimated players should we snatch?

Over the next three years, as our older players retire, we will probably need to recruit quite a few older players from other clubs to ensure the right mix of experience. One common strategy--to pay huge amounts for a couple of A grade players--is usually unsuitable: the premium you need to pay is often exorbitant. Another common strategy--to recruit players from a club with a surplus of a particular position, such as ruckmen--is also limited: these players seldom become better than fringe players. The best strategy is to unearth players who are underestimated by their club because they have not matured as rapidly as expected. That is, you want to recruit players who were ordinary for 3 to 4 years and then blossom after they shift to your club.

To find, these players, we need to answer three questions. I would be interested in everyone's answers to these questions.

1. Who are some players in the past who blossomed unexpectedly after about 4 years in the system, either at one club or after shifting clubs.

Possible answers could include Gunston, Josh Kennedy, and Sean Dempster.

2. What are some of the features these players share--as a way to identify which players are likely to be underestimated?

Possible answers could include mid-size players who may have been assigned to the wrong position--or perhaps players who do not possess any obvious physical qualties, like speed, but possess excellent judgment and therefore play well only when given enough responsibility.

3. Finally, who are some players at other clubs that may exhibit these qualities and should be targeted?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Which underestimated players should we snatch?

umm didnt gunston just leave the crows and go to the hawks?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:umm didnt gunston just leave the crows and go to the hawks?

He isnt saying we should get him. It was an example of the type of player we should target.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

righto

id take him btw

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I heard that Mitch Morton who has just gone up to the swans is getting 8 and 9 goal games in the NSW state league. He must be a s*** bloke because he can play.

Any player with credentials and a few years experience, someone like Armo was a couple of years ago is where you find the value. Someone has pushed development into them played them into that 20 to 50 games and they are usually ready to fire.

There is going to be a few at GC that have had the development put into them and are ready to fire.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:umm didnt gunston just leave the crows and go to the hawks?
Brother may still be available :wink:

cross2012
Club Player

Most underestimated players are underestimated for a reason :) . (interesting to see a Magner type struggling to make the transition) But to follow your theory, in the past few drafts, there have been aroung 80+ new spots on AFL lists due to entry of two new teams. Therefore targeting players who just missed out on prior drafts is a good strategy. Perhaps a Khan Haretuku worth a second look?
I think the strategy of creating an elite development environment witht the best facilities that will attract the kids and have them wanting to play with the Saints makes sense.
i.e. Would you rather get drafted by Collingwood or Melbourne. The latter just cant bring on elite kids. When the environmnet is right, perhaps go after the GWS and GC kids that want to come home. Also, target elite kicking skills as a core competency!

Southern Moss

I agree that elite kicking skills is vital and perhaps more vital now than in the past. But the question can then be who are the players whose potential to kick well may be underestimated. Sometimes, as players mature, their capacity to find space or trust their judgement enhances their disposal efficiency. Robert Harvey is sort of a case in point.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

ben mckingley, Aaron Edwards (North)
Troy Champlin (port)
Jesse White, Mitch Morton (swans)
Bellchambers (ess)

These are some that I would look at. Some might be cheap enough

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Cloke. Oops, I thought you meant "overestimated players " :shock:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
gringo
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:ben mckingley, Aaron Edwards (North)
Troy Champlin (port)
Jesse White, Mitch Morton (swans)
Bellchambers (ess)

These are some that I would look at. Some might be cheap enough

Def take Bellchambers
Jesse White seems to be very far behind Reid now.
Chaplin is a decent player
Edwards is a little to much like several others we have -not big enough
Pederson at the roos is a potential player
Daw gets some fans too.
Angus graham at the tiges

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

I don't want any players from any other clubs. Just get kids through the draft with decent skills.

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Bellchambers is the one I would love. He is a hitout king, something McEvoy lacks at this stage. He's still early 20s as well I'm pretty sure, which means he's probably only going to get better over the next 8+ years.

He isn't rally underestimated although he has been out of the Bombers 22 at times this year so I think we could convince him to come to the Saints. Bombers need midfielders so I wouldn't mind trading Montagna for Bellchambers and their first rounder. If we had to throw in a second or third rounder then do it.

McEvoy would still have a place in the side as he's an outstanding mark and an elite runner. He could basically play as an extra tall wingman drifting up and down the ground taking big clunks at either end with Bellchambers giving the mids first use.

PJ
SS Life Member

Pretty sure Essendon won't be letting Bellchambers go full stop.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

PJ wrote:Pretty sure Essendon won't be letting Bellchambers go full stop.
They won't want to, but if he asks to, they don't have much choice. The key would be to convince him that he should leave.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:I don't want any players from any other clubs. Just get kids through the draft with decent skills.
Aaron Fiora!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

#1GILL wrote:The key would be to convince [Bellchambers] that he should leave.
Hille's about to retire and they've shown they're willing to play Ryder in a forward-ruck role spelling Bellchambers. I'd rate him as unlikely to leave at all and his chances of landing here are less than zero. He'd have more competition here.

I'd say we'd be more likely to look at someone like Dawson Simpson, who has a number of rucks in front of him, or someone out of the b-tier. I doubt we give up muchy for a depth ruckman given that this is supposedly the deepest draft in at least 4 years if not longer. Somebody may get delisted that we like and under the new rules, we can just sign them.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Bardon Saint
Club Player

12 months ago we may have been a chance to nab Bellchambers but not now. He'll be a very good player for them.

I haven't seen much of Chaplin play but port have had a few goals kicked against them since he's been there (not entirely his fault of course). Is he really that good to be on everyones wish list? How does he shape up against the good forwards of the game?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote: Bombers need midfielders so I wouldn't mind trading Montagna for Bellchambers and their first rounder. If we had to throw in a second or third rounder then do it.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

nearly choked on my drink when I read that...

maybe we could get them to throw in Jobe Watson too

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
#1GILL wrote: Bombers need midfielders so I wouldn't mind trading Montagna for Bellchambers and their first rounder. If we had to throw in a second or third rounder then do it.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

nearly choked on my drink when I read that...

maybe we could get them to throw in Jobe Watson too

Or Maybe CJ and hang the draft picks? :oops:

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Would anyone take a year from an old boy like Hille in a Gardy/ King style thing? Josh Fraser was never much of a player but he would be free just about and could probably kick a few goals resting forward.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Would anyone take a year from an old boy like Hille in a Gardy/ King style thing? Josh Fraser was never much of a player but he would be free just about and could probably kick a few goals resting forward.
i wouldn't take fraser, i would take hille.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Would anyone take a year from an old boy like Hille in a Gardy/ King style thing? Josh Fraser was never much of a player but he would be free just about and could probably kick a few goals resting forward.
not sure...injuries mounting up and he wears turtle neck skivvy's.........odd...

“Yeah….nah””
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
not sure...injuries mounting up and he wears turtle neck skivvy's.........odd...

I'm not imagining Hille in skivvy's so it must be fraser, that would look awesome with the comb over that's impending. Hille would look like a Bond Villain's henchman in a skivvy but I think Josh fraser could rock a white suit, black skivvy and comb over. It would be like Kevin Bartlett on stilts.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Reckon Pelchen may make a play for some Hawks boys he recruited?