Jason Gram's game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spiro K

Jason Gram's game

Gram needs another spell in the VFL. He missed so many tackles last night, avoided a few body on body clashes and I am always nervous when he is one on one. Yes, he can be swung into the midfield and can break the lines through his run and carry but if Sam Fisher is fit perhaps Gram is the one to go as he lacks the physicality and defensive skills of others in the team.

Thoughts?

"Man must suffer to be wise or alternatively support the Saints." Aeschylus
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jason Gram's game

Spiro K wrote:Thoughts?
who was he playing on and how did they go?

murray 66
Club Player

I totally agree.I think for a while we have been saying once we discover more depth, competition for spots will heat up and grammy will struggle to keep his spot in the best 22.

Go saints............

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Thought he played well last night with out being exceptional and did some things that showed the faith in his body is back. Shepherded and tackled etc. He has been very solid in 2012. Can't see him being dropped. Geary is suffering from Gram being back and may miss with a concussion or fracture what ever happened to his head. You would think Gilbert and Siposs are the only two in that game that didn't have a massive contribution. At least Sipper kick a goal of the year candidate.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think Grammy is playing a support role in our offensive game style where he used to play a lead role in our defensive game style. Either way he's doing enough to keep his spot in the side. Last night he was one of a dozen players who had lead in their legs in the last Q !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bergsone
SS Life Member

IMO he will make way for Fisher if Fish is ready this week,cant see who else could lose their spot in back half.Before everyone says what about Gilbert,well imo we need him to play on opp talls,as Blake looks like spending plenty of time in ruck in coming weeks,

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:IMO he will make way for Fisher if Fish is ready this week,cant see who else could lose their spot in back half.Before everyone says what about Gilbert,well imo we need him to play on opp talls,as Blake looks like spending plenty of time in ruck in coming weeks,

Maybe Fisher could go forward

bergsone
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
bergsone wrote:IMO he will make way for Fisher if Fish is ready this week,cant see who else could lose their spot in back half.Before everyone says what about Gilbert,well imo we need him to play on opp talls,as Blake looks like spending plenty of time in ruck in coming weeks,

Maybe Fisher could go forward
Yes maybe,but who to leave out,wont be Kosi as we need his ruck work,and imo it may unsettle our forward line.Good position to be in having options

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gram won his position again...

Has not played a bad game this year, in fact his worse game was at Sandy...

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Gram has been far better than Gilbert this year. Gram has been fairly solid all year.

PJ
SS Life Member

Jason was OK last night, not sure the criticsm is valid. He'll be there next week.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BigMart wrote:Gram won his position again...

Has not played a bad game this year, in fact his worse game was at Sandy...
Hi Mart, I've finally worked out Grammy's role (observation :( ), which to be fair he does perform well, but what actual position/s did he occupy and who were his opponents last night? Ta.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Started as rebounding HB and after the injury to Geary went deeper and was more defensive.

He started on Ryan o'keefe and then played on a few different small Fwds. None of who were effective after HT.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Spiro K wrote:Gram needs another spell in the VFL. He missed so many tackles last night, avoided a few body on body clashes and I am always nervous when he is one on one. Yes, he can be swung into the midfield and can break the lines through his run and carry but if Sam Fisher is fit perhaps Gram is the one to go as he lacks the physicality and defensive skills of others in the team.

Thoughts?
I guess you just want to see Raph come in. :roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spiro K

SaintPav wrote:
Spiro K wrote:Gram needs another spell in the VFL. He missed so many tackles last night, avoided a few body on body clashes and I am always nervous when he is one on one. Yes, he can be swung into the midfield and can break the lines through his run and carry but if Sam Fisher is fit perhaps Gram is the one to go as he lacks the physicality and defensive skills of others in the team.

Thoughts?
Bugger it, Pav, you have seen right through my ploy! That is right, what about Raph? :D

"Man must suffer to be wise or alternatively support the Saints." Aeschylus
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Spiro K wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Thoughts?
Bugger it, Pav, you have seen right through my ploy! That is right, what about Raph? :D
Bring him straight back in. It will keep some people I know happy and give me a good laugh. :)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Thoughts?
you may be young and naive , if so i apologise !
Gram has never been one to win a contested ball or put his body on the line , he turns the ball over far too easily !
saying that , he does often beat his opponent and was not our worst player last night .
I do believe that his best football is behind him .

In red white and black from 73
andrewg
Club Player

Gram is our last has been player who can't win a contested ball.pelchen will have him earmarked as trade or retire fisher will play for him and would rather see schneider,fisher,ledger,raph,polo in front of him. He was Very soft at the contest two or three times'lets be honest.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

andrewg wrote:Gram is our last has been player who can't win a contested ball.pelchen will have him earmarked as trade or retire fisher will play for him and would rather see schneider,fisher,ledger,raph,polo in front of him. He was Very soft at the contest two or three times 'lets be honest.
Hi AG, like your avatar and like your post.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
The darkness
Club Player

Still managed to miss another gimme goal which should be his bread and butter . Still cross my fingers when ball is in his hands as he is still prone to turning it over . Didn't like his approach to a couple of contested ball situations either . Hope Watters sends a clear message that we need everyone going hard at it not just a few, so if your not up to it then go back to the magoos and work your way back . Bring in the Fish , Glam bam thank you Jase go and sort yourself out in the twobies.

always_a_saint
Club Player

There was actually a contest just before geary's head clash incident where gram went in soft and basically looked like he was trying to avoid contact if possible. 2 seconds later Geary puts his body on the line and gets smashed...I commented to my friend, that's the difference right there! I hope they show gram vision of Geary and others going in hard to give him a kick up the a***.

will always be a saint...no matter what.

bring home that premiership boys
Ross who?
Club Player

Thoughts?
Spot on, great post.
As soft as butter. disposal is hit and miss. Others could do a better job IMO. Raph at least has courage, and at his best is very good. Chips is a certainty if fit anyway. Gram looks like the only weak link in the team ATM for mine.
Gram out is the only option unless we push BJ up the ground.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ross who? wrote:

Thoughts?
Spot on, great post.
As soft as butter. disposal is hit and miss. Others could do a better job IMO. Raph at least has courage, and at his best is very good. Chips is a certainty if fit anyway. Gram looks like the only weak link in the team ATM for mine.
Gram out is the only option unless we push BJ up the ground.

Dont think Chips replaces Gram. I must be watching a different player but I think he had a very consistant year and more importantly seems to always beat who he plays on. I reckon some here go into games hoping someone will play bad and then talk themselves into the fact they did play bad. Maybe I am the other way because I think Gram is important. Only the selectors know the true answer.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Grammy seems to be playing much better this year. I haven't really noticed him a lot, which tells me that he is neither making serious mistakes, nor playing superbly. He may simply be doing "his job."

I intend to follow him a lot more closely in future games - Richmond will be a good one. Will it be Gram or Raph in this week?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Scott Watters was very keen to get Gram back in the team.

Reason being because he can run and carry through the press and can penetrate with his kicking.

He is ideal with our setup. Carry 20-30 metres, kick it 50, and we have it in the forward fifty with Milera, Saad, and Milne attacking off the crumbs from Riewoldt and Kosi.

Really some of you people dont really understand our setup and its counter to the forward press that most teams employ.

Would be very suprised if Gram was out.

Anyone calling any AFL footballer soft is a fool.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)