Ad hominem....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Ad hominem....

Looking for help.
I am a 53 year old computer illiterate who barely finished HSC(year 12)
Not sure what all this means, but seeking answers if possible.
1)Crippa2Sipa's arrival on yhis forum coincides almost to the second to Lyon's departure
2)I stand corrected on this, but it would seem that his input on this forum is restricted to topics related to Lyon
3)The quality of his/her writing is of a superior standard (journalistic background?)

AM I PARANOID?

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ad hominem....

whiskers3614 wrote:Looking for help.
1)Crippa2Sipa's arrival on yhis forum coincides almost to the second to Lyon's departure
2)I stand corrected on this, but it would seem that his input on this forum is restricted to topics related to Lyon
3)The quality of his/her writing is of a superior standard (journalistic background?)

AM I PARANOID?
No three is a good one...journos having a superior standard...ha ha..very funny.

nah, bloke is extremley delusional. he has a right to his opinion but he doesn't have to ram it down everyones throat and then dress it up as fact.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
nah, bloke is extremley delusional. he has a right to his opinion but he doesn't have to ram it down everyones throat and then dress it up as fact.
and there too goes a decent % of the forum :)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

does the timing of his first post not ring any alarm bells?

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

over the last few years any 'issues' involving the saints have seen an increase in the number of posters- there is one who was on last night hutchy82 ,:}
atleast crippa2sippa know some saints names

I remember posting early last year a guess which are the Journos- topic.

sometimes I wonder if family and friends and acquaintances of player check out forums to see how they are being viewed as well.

basily be suspiscous of everyone :)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
crippa2sipa
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:AM I PARANOID?
Nah.
You're cute.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:AM I PARANOID?
Nah.
You're cute.
And you are Clarkey's Dad!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
crippa2sipa
Club Player

Great to see you back saintspremiers, old chum.

Love your posts - but sorry, whiskers is still my fave. xxx
Last edited by crippa2sipa on Sun 26 Feb 2012 5:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it. Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as a logical fallacy.

Ad hominem arguments work via the halo effect, a human cognitive bias in which the perception of one trait is influenced by the perception of an unrelated trait, e.g. treating an attractive person as more intelligent or more honest. People tend to see others as tending to all good or tending to all bad. Thus, if you can attribute a bad trait to your opponent, others will tend to doubt the quality of their arguments, even if the bad trait is irrelevant to the arguments.

Abusive ad hominem (also called personal abuse or personal attacks) usually involves insulting or belittling one's opponent in order to attack his claim or invalidate his argument, but can also involve pointing out true character flaws or actions that are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and negative facts about the opponent's personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent's arguments or assertions. However, verbal abuse in the absence of an argument is neither ad hominem nor a fallacy.
Examples:
"You can't believe John when he says the proposed policy would help the economy. He doesn't even have a job."
"What would Mary know about fixing cars? She is a woman."

An abusive ad hominem can apply to a judgment of cultural works or academic efforts based on the behavior or unconventional political beliefs of an artist, author, or musician, or the taste of an infamous person who loved a certain work.
Examples:
Jimi Hendrix died of a drug overdose, so his music was worthless.
Leni Riefenstahl was a Nazi, so her film The Triumph of the Will is devoid of merit.
Sylvia Plath was a depressive who eventually committed suicide, so her works are unreadable.
What Ted Kaczynski wrote about boundary conditions in mathematics is shown false due to his crimes.
Brutal autocrat Joseph Stalin's favorite opera was Boris Godunov, so the opera must offend decent sensibilities.
All P66's posts are rubbish because he is illiterate.....No wait......

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Love your fascination in me. Luckily you wont read this as obviously you wouldn't want to read rubbish posts from someone who is illiterate. Good to be on another's ignore list.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it. Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as a logical fallacy.

Ad hominem arguments work via the halo effect, a human cognitive bias in which the perception of one trait is influenced by the perception of an unrelated trait, e.g. treating an attractive person as more intelligent or more honest. People tend to see others as tending to all good or tending to all bad. Thus, if you can attribute a bad trait to your opponent, others will tend to doubt the quality of their arguments, even if the bad trait is irrelevant to the arguments.

Abusive ad hominem (also called personal abuse or personal attacks) usually involves insulting or belittling one's opponent in order to attack his claim or invalidate his argument, but can also involve pointing out true character flaws or actions that are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and negative facts about the opponent's personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent's arguments or assertions. However, verbal abuse in the absence of an argument is neither ad hominem nor a fallacy.
Examples:
"You can't believe John when he says the proposed policy would help the economy. He doesn't even have a job."

An abusive ad hominem can apply to a judgment of cultural works or academic efforts based on the behavior or unconventional political beliefs of an artist, author, or musician, or the taste of an infamous person who loved a certain work.
Examples:
Leni Riefenstahl was a Nazi, so her film The Triumph of the Will is devoid of merit.
Sylvia Plath was a depressive who eventually committed suicide, so her works are unreadable.
What Ted Kaczynski wrote about boundary conditions in mathematics is shown false due to his crimes.
Brutal autocrat Joseph Stalin's favorite opera was Boris Godunov, so the opera must offend decent sensibilities.
That's exactly what Wikipedia says.

Except of course for the p66 bit.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Gee Dr. S. I thought I'd cut and pasted it straight from Wikipedia, including the last bit.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

AM I PARANOID?
If you are seeking answers you really should ask more questions. The answer to your question is yes.

What possible reason would a journo have to join Saintsational and show some support for Ross Lyon? I can't wait for his story on the workings of Saintsational.com.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Something like this maybe

... embedded amongst the sainsational faithful , eagerly awaiting the passionatly senseless them or us civil war over the ross lovers removement remorse , i touch my self coz i'm bored bored bored outa my tree.
.the GT way , mark2 , like etherially risen cream soothes the argumentative , consoles the forlorn , rebrands the brand , comforts the elderly (except p66's gran) whilst smoke and mirrors , not smoke and coke smoothes across the corporate mumbojumbo .
.kev will need a cuddle.
.scotty will have his huddle.
.kosi is a bubble.
.now where's little miss trubble.

.ahhhh Pleasing .... think i just made a puddle.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

.ipso facto

... the GT lovers were right.
.the other bunch of purple led dingbats wouldn't know the drum with curly hurley larry and moe up em.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

gazrat wrote:Something like this maybe

... embedded amongst the sainsational faithful , eagerly awaiting the passionatly senseless them or us civil war over the ross lovers removement remorse , i touch my self coz i'm bored bored bored outa my tree.
.the GT way , mark2 , like etherially risen cream soothes the argumentative , consoles the forlorn , rebrands the brand , comforts the elderly (except p66's gran) whilst smoke and mirrors , not smoke and coke smoothes across the corporate mumbojumbo .
.kev will need a cuddle.
.kosi is a bubble.

Jeeeezus! Sheer brilliance Gazrat. Our very own Poet Laureate. You have made my night!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it. Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as a logical fallacy.

Examples:

Examples:
so just because hirdy is a golden boy doesnt mean he can coach?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:

.kev will need a cuddle.
.kosi is a bubble.

Jeeeezus! Sheer brilliance Gazrat. Our very own Poet Laureate. You have made my night!
top stuff.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote:

.kev will need a cuddle.
.kosi is a bubble.

top stuff.
...shades of T S Eliot with a hint of Lewis Carroll...

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.gaz bows humbly.
.thanx boys.

:)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

AM I PARANOID?
probably a PR guy hired by lyon to keep his reputation positive in case he wants to move back to melb in 4 years and work.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

OMG. It's Kevin Rudd.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote: ...shades of T S Eliot with a hint of Lewis Carroll...
A little too much Lewis Carroll, and possibly some Dale Lewis as well.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote: ...shades of T S Eliot with a hint of Lewis Carroll...
A little too much Lewis Carroll, and possibly some Dale Lewis as well.

“Satchmo, I think that’s being very disrespectful to Dale Lewis. He was at the Swans you know. As was I. Oh, and as was Ross Lyon also”

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Anybody missing Crippa2Sipas' justifications of Lyon?
Please be advised that you can view his words of wisdom on Big Footy!