Zac to the rescue

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Maxdis

Zac to the rescue

Just saw this article....depleted early ...

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/ne ... 6271852819

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zac to the rescue

Yeah they haven't had the best preseason.

Ross is still talking finals though.

"It's really simple - premierships and finals appearances are created over summer. And you've got to do the work to give yourself the best chance,'' Lyon said.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Funny only last week the story was about Freo's new found depth in the back line and how competition was tight to get a spot ?!?!?!

Really if Zac is going to lead he will need to put in a hell of a lot more effort then their intra club match .. Gettin 4 kicked on you by a kid from the WAFL Kennedy will be looking to start the year with a bag of 10 by that standard !

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Funny only last week the story was about Freo's new found depth in the back line and how competition was tight to get a spot ?!?!?!

Really if Zac is going to lead he will need to put in a hell of a lot more effort then their intra club match .. Gettin 4 kicked on you by a kid from the WAFL Kennedy will be looking to start the year with a bag of 10 by that standard !
this. i expect there will be a big bag kicked on him. freo have a number of injury concerns.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

"...but at the end of the day you act your way in, act your way out."

same old s*** coming out of Lyon

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:"...but at the end of the day you act your way in, act your way out."

Yep the stuff nearly everyone said was great for the last 5 years.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Funny only last week the story was about Freo's new found depth in the back line and how competition was tight to get a spot ?!?!?!

this. i expect there will be a big bag kicked on him. freo have a number of injury concerns.
He's not going to have the support of Fisher, Gilbert and Goddard - Quality support. I expect Zac to consistently get bags kicked on him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
defacto wrote:

He's not going to have the support of Fisher, Gilbert and Goddard - Quality support. I expect Zac to consistently get bags kicked on him.

Yep that was the only reason he played well in finals.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Good riddance to both of them.

Carna Saints!!!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

My only concern is who is going to play full back for us. I couldn't give a rats if Zac gets 10 kicked on him every week or he's the AA full back.
He's a Docker not a saint. Move on. He's not Tony Lockett. Who gives a flying.

I would like to see him fail. Is that wrong?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:I would like to see him fail. Is that wrong?
If that will make you feel better. Good luck. I personally won't care either way.

8856brother wrote:My only concern is who is going to play full back for us. I couldn't give a rats if Zac gets 10 kicked on him every week or he's the AA full back.
He's a Docker not a saint. Move on. He's not Tony Lockett. Who gives a flying.
Wilks i reckon, but i think hed be better as a fowrard, maybe simpkon

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Freo are lucky to have Ross as coach. Put themselves in the best possible way to challenge for a premiership. Top 4 this year, if not Top 6

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:He's not going to have the support of Fisher, Gilbert and Goddard - Quality support. I expect Zac to consistently get bags kicked on him.
Teams trying to isolate Dawson are still going ot have to deal with extras dropping back. It's Ross Lyon in charge. It might be Michael Johnson and Luke McPharlin rather than Fisher and Gilbert, but the effect is going to be the same - large numbers of big bodies for key forwards to contend with. Freo's going to have a big defence this year and like most big defences, I think quality smalls will be the way through them. Who have they got to put on Milne?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
defacto
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:Freo are lucky to have Ross as coach. Put themselves in the best possible way to challenge for a premiership. Top 4 this year, if not Top 6
top 4 wont happen. top 8 maybe.

top 4 next year is more probable

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Who have they got to put on Milne?
Zac... :lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Old Mate wrote:He's not going to have the support of Fisher, Gilbert and Goddard - Quality support. I expect Zac to consistently get bags kicked on him.
Teams trying to isolate Dawson are still going ot have to deal with extras dropping back. It's Ross Lyon in charge. It might be Michael Johnson and Luke McPharlin rather than Fisher and Gilbert, but the effect is going to be the same - large numbers of big bodies for key forwards to contend with. Freo's going to have a big defence this year and like most big defences, I think quality smalls will be the way through them. Who have they got to put on Milne?
BTW, think Johnson and McPharlin might be having a headache or two coming on. Maybe Zac has some pills lying around. :lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Are freos list that good? pav, sandi, fyfe, mundy and mcpharlin...who else...balintine? Young guys: Hill and moribito havent convinced. they lack depth. Our list is in better shape imo.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

:) some in WA are predicting he will line up with Davis
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... e-by-side/

EX-Saint Zac Dawson could line up alongside former grand final opponent Leon Davis this season, after being allocated to WAFL club Perth.

The pair squared off against each other in the famous drawn grand final between Collingwood and St Kilda in 2010 - with differing footballing paths bring them both to WA for the 2012 season.

While Davis will spend all of his time at the Demons, after sensationally walking out on Collingwood after the 2011 grand final loss, new Docker Dawson will hope he has little or no need to pull on a Perth shirt.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:I would like to see him fail. Is that wrong?
Not sure re Zac But to want to see Tosser Lyon fail, well, the answer to that is bleeding obvious!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Yep that was the only reason he played well in finals.
no one knows if it was Zac who made our defence or our defence who made Zac .. He had a good finals with us and on the whole he gave us good service in his time at the saints but the past is the past and so far Zac hasn't shown anything at freo as yet to suggest he is going to be a big help for them ... I'm no expert but it kinda reminded me of when Trent Croad was a docker decent enough player but not really giving his all for the team ... But it's still very early time will tell

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Freo are lucky to have Ross as coach. Put themselves in the best possible way to challenge for a premiership. Top 4 this year, if not Top 6
Tough ask with many KPPs having limited preseasons, not convinced top 4.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:no one knows if it was Zac who made our defence or our defence who made Zac
Over the three years Zac was here, no team allowed less points than us. I think you'd be crazy to give him all of the credit, but you'd be equally crazy to give him none. He fit the system well and he's walking into the exact same system. The only players I remember kicking four or more goals on him were Cloke, Frankin, Petrie and Jack Riewoldt. It's not like they beat him every time either and those are some quality forwards.

My feeling is that Freo went after him to free up McPharlin to be more of a backline general a la Fisher. McPharlin has never played that role, so who knows if it will work, but I think Zac will be fine for them. Not spectacular, just adequate. Hopefully Wilkes can do at least that well here.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
millarsaint wrote:"...but at the end of the day you act your way in, act your way out."

Yep the stuff nearly everyone said was great for the last 5 years.
yeah...great stuff...didn't win us anything as i look back at the Lyin era

the doctor of spin....

Lyon...the Fremantle Doctor...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.