Dawson ready to repay faith

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Dawson ready to repay faith

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

..."I'm very thankful to the club and Ross [Lyon] and everyone who helped me get over here.

"I feel like I owe them and I'm very grateful for my situation." ...

I would suggest that you owe St Kilda more.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
philtee
Club Player

Cool avatar.

jays
Club Player

what a toss

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Actually have no issue with him leaving, just don't like how he lied and said he was delisted and it came as a surprise to him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The guy didn't get much love at the Saints, he would be pleased to get away from us I would think.

A lot that hated him now have issues with his lack of loyalty? Imagine if he gets a premiership medal under Ross how popular will he be.

I think a few will rate him a bit higher when he is at another club, sometimes you know players too well to appreciate them.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Actually have no issue with him leaving, just don't like how he lied and said he was delisted and it came as a surprise to him.
Good call on Gears by the way, he is at the age that players usually come on. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in 2012, brave player who is like a lightweight Hamill with his application to the contest.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The guy didn't get much love at the Saints, he would be pleased to get away from us I would think.

A lot that hated him now have issues with his lack of loyalty? Imagine if he gets a premiership medal under Ross how popular will he be.

I think a few will rate him a bit higher when he is at another club, sometimes you know players too well to appreciate them.
I totally agree. I find it funny that some people say he is no good but have also crached the s***s that he left. The only ones who should slightly be upset he left are the ones who think he can play. I actually think he is ok but I am not upset he left but I am disappointed we didnt have the money to keep him.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:The guy didn't get much love at the Saints, he would be pleased to get away from us I would think.

I totally agree. I find it funny that some people say he is no good but have also crached the s***s that he left. The only ones who should slightly be upset he left are the ones who think he can play. I actually think he is ok but I am not upset he left but I am disappointed we didnt have the money to keep him.
Some people just didn't like him anyway, however I'm sure the balance of for and against would have swung in his favour had Max announced his retirement at the same time we picked him up.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Some people just didn't like him anyway, however I'm sure the balance of for and against would have swung in his favour had Max announced his retirement at the same time we picked him up.
definitely, he was seen as some Machiavellian usurper for daring to play in Max's spot.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

In all fairness, he is not a good fullback whether St.Kilda needed him or not. A good full back is Scarlett, actually he is great and Dawson is light years away in ability. It's got nothing to do with Dawson's character but a lot to do with his inability as a footballer, he is actually a crap fullback. I'm glad we can develop someone else there.

Another opportunity awaits!
goodie
Club Player

Talk about mixed messages in that article. Freo's not his third chance, he chose to leave St Kilda

Funny how he's full of praise for Lyin' now, didn't he crack it after being disciplined along with the other NZ screw-ups at the start of the year?

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:In all fairness, he is not a good fullback whether St.Kilda needed him or not. A good full back is Scarlett, actually he is great and Dawson is light years away in ability. It's got nothing to do with Dawson's character but a lot to do with his inability as a footballer, he is actually a crap fullback. I'm glad we can develop someone else there.
agree . how many big forwards has he ever outplayed one on one ?

In red white and black from 73
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

He's a bit of a loss, no more, no less. Bottom 6 player but was in our best 22.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
VODM
Club Player

Full back is a hard position to hold down - we now have to find someone who can handle the monsters like Brown or Cloke and also take care of the quicker types as well.

Dawson took Buddy when we played the Hawks I think and he really is quick.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Not sure Zac will get much more love from Freo fans either ... Just as Peake... Dawson was an important cog in the team defense but one on one he was not strong enough to hold the likes of Cloke hall or Dawes ... In the end we are weaker without Zac but not by that much really .. It's also to be seen what game plan we are using this year so we might not miss Zac at all ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:In all fairness, he is not a good fullback whether St.Kilda needed him or not. A good full back is Scarlett, actually he is great and Dawson is light years away in ability. It's got nothing to do with Dawson's character but a lot to do with his inability as a footballer, he is actually a crap fullback. I'm glad we can develop someone else there.
Are you sure he is crap? What evidence was there that he is crap?

He was beaten a couple of times by real strong bodied forwards who could bump him out of position but was rarely beaten consistently or in multiple weeks.

He was better suited to playing tall mobile forwards in the Franklin mould. Max was soundly beaten plenty of times in his career but was a brilliant player when matched against guys like Richo.

Even Scarlett is beaten occasionally. Full back is the most exposed position on the ground and he was an accountable player who competed in the manner he was asked. He was aided by a team defence but so is Scarlett who is a rangy creative back not your old school blocker.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

No big loss IMO. I tend to think some of our fans overrate him. I can tell you now the general football public do not. He's seen as a hack and for good reason. The only issue is we don't know if we have an equal replacement. Time will tell.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:No big loss IMO. I tend to think some of our fans overrate him. I can tell you now the general football public do not. He's seen as a hack and for good reason. The only issue is we don't know if we have an equal replacement. Time will tell.
So he is a hack but we dont have a hack to replace him. If he is a hack why didnt he get multiple goals kicked on him even if we did play a team defence?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

[quote=gringo]

He was better suited to playing tall mobile forwards in the Franklin mould. Max was soundly beaten plenty of times in his career but was a brilliant player when matched against guys like Richo.

Even Scarlett is beaten occasionally. Full back is the most exposed position on the ground and he was an accountable player who competed in the manner he was asked. He was aided by a team defence but so is Scarlett who is a rangy creative back not your old school blocker.[/quote] yes team defence is important to help any FB but the difference is players like Scarlo Max Glass ect. When caught out one on one would create a contest regardless of who they were on and in most cases get a fist to the ball first ... Zac when caught out one on one would more often or not grab a jumper or chop the arms and give away a free kick or be tossed aside like a rag doll ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: So he is a hack but we dont have a hack to replace him.
Know we don't know yet.
plugger66 wrote:If he is a hack why didnt he get multiple goals kicked on him even if we did play a team defence?
You answered the question for me.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

What amount constitutes the salary cap? I don't think anyone on here would rate Dawson as anything better than average or mid range.Equation is easy- multiply what he wanted (300k) by the number of players on the list, does this exceed the cap?

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote: So he is a hack but we dont have a hack to replace him.
Know we don't know yet.
plugger66 wrote:If he is a hack why didnt he get multiple goals kicked on him even if we did play a team defence?
You answered the question for me.
Excellent stuff. I take it you didnt do debating at school.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Are you sure he is crap? What evidence was there that he is crap?

He was beaten a couple of times by real strong bodied forwards who could bump him out of position but was rarely beaten consistently or in multiple weeks.

Even Scarlett is beaten occasionally. Full back is the most exposed position on the ground and he was an accountable player who competed in the manner he was asked. He was aided by a team defence but so is Scarlett who is a rangy creative back not your old school blocker.
Farken hell. 3rd club at 25 years of age. If he was any good he'd still be at Hawthorn. The other 5 backs covered his ass as did the game plan. He was clumsy and one on one would not watch the ball because he knew he couldn't win it. Therefore he would try and manhandle his opponent as his only means to stop him. Tell me how many times you saw that!

And surely not worth 300k!

And in saying that he wants to repay his faith is an admission that on his own mind he truely thinks he hasn't done enough

I rest my case, hallelujah so help me God
Last edited by Moccha on Sat 17 Dec 2011 1:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Not long to wait.Kosi (not rated by many on here) will make him look like the hack he really is.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Not long to wait.Kosi (not rated by many on here) will make him look like the hack he really is.
Kosi has 10 times the ability that Dawson has