Dean Polo - can he go up another level?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Dean Polo - can he go up another level?

Interested to get thoughts on this. I had a look through his stats from round 16 onwards last season and was surprised by his contested ball.

For contested ball he was in shot of top half a dozen in most games and winning it a couple of times.

All other stats he was average - around 16th. But his time on ground wasn't high.

From memory I thought his distribution was pretty good especailly by handball. Kicking wasn't as bad as been reported on here imo.

And I liked his attitude toward the opposition. Which was just a bit tough.

Lyon typically moved him away from the centre and his progress wasn't as noticeable (last few games).

Early on I watched him carefully for Sandy and was immediately struck by his will and determination to get the ball. I reluctantly liked him straight away.

Could he improve and go one better by placing himself inside the top ten?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

i'd given up on him around midyear, until i saw him split open a couple of packs with that aggression you speak of.

Hopefully one A. Hamill can get in his ear and make it a regular occurance in 2012. :)

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Very average

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think he could be one to do a dempster. He is around the age and experience that usually get moving. Richmond took hiss confidence away he is the type of player Watters will work on to get him built up.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He is strong for a mid, a pretty good endurance runner, he can find the ball...uses it well by hand

His skill level by foot is woeful by afl standards, he is not quick...and an average decision maker - mainly due to his limitations

He has no outstanding qualities IMO and is handy for depth, but should not be in the seniors in front of a talented kid - cripps, ledger, even Ross now

defacto
Club Player

BigMart wrote:He is strong for a mid, a pretty good endurance runner, he can find the ball...uses it well by hand

His skill level by foot is woeful by afl standards, he is not quick...and an average decision maker - mainly due to his limitations

He has no outstanding qualities IMO and is handy for depth, but should not be in the seniors in front of a talented kid - cripps, ledger, even Ross now
i agree. the problem is his strength arent strong enough to out weight his weaknesses. he needs to go up another 2-3 gears to keep his spot. as you said he's really a depth player to cover the kids. he should only get a spot if we cant play a kid.

i'd look at horsley, magner and danny hughes instead.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Polo will fill a need till one of our developing kids squeezes him out......unless Polo can improve his kicking substantially.

Improving the footskills of the saints is a priority for Pelchen. As is pace. Both Polo is not blessed in.

All of our bad kicks will not go....but by the end of 2012, and then 2013 there will be less and less of them.

However footskills and pace are not the only desired footballer qualities, and so some will remain in the team because they excel in other areas. Polo will need to at the top of his game in these to stay in the 22.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I hope he can, but I doubt if we will see much improvement this year from him.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully he isint a core member of our team, if he is we aint challenging.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

He seemed to be playing at 100% effort last year, just holding his place. Whether there is much improvement there is doubtful.

I like his effort - "does a job," so-to-speak. Watters and Hamill may be able to get some more from him this year. Kicking has to improve.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

He will improve with more continuity in the midfield. Everyone does, especially after playing defense for so long.

Whether he can become good is another thing.

Saintersss
Club Player

After the 2010 season, I thought Peake would be lucky to hold a spot in the 22 in 2011 and was almost certain to be delisted. However, he improved out of sight and became a vital member of the side.

Therefore I'm not going to rule out Polo improving and cementing a spot.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If Polo is a regular that means we either have a heap of injuries or the kids are rubbish. Unless he suddenly develops Lenny Hayes like attack on the ball and regularly racks up 25+ possessions then I can't see him being any more than backup.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:After the 2010 season, I thought Peake would be lucky to hold a spot in the 22 in 2011 and was almost certain to be delisted. However, he improved out of sight and became a vital member of the side.

Therefore I'm not going to rule out Polo improving and cementing a spot.
Dempster looked like an ordinary player for a couple of years and was one of our most consistent this year also.

I love how people definitively write off players like they have decided so it fact.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

He needs to improve his disposal.
But he definitely deserved another year. He played some very good games in the second hald last year. So good on him.
But at this (very early) stage of the 2012 season - I regard Polo, Crocker, Clarke, Mileri and Geary as the most "fringe" of our list.
Id say 2 of those 5 mentioned wont be there in 2013. the GOOD NEWS is 3 of them will be!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

he's 25 years of age...just approaching his prime and was originally a top 20 selection...yes he can get better...and he will under a better coach..... :wink: 8-)

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:he's 25 years of age...just approaching his prime and was originally a top 20 selection...
you could say the same about:

- john meesen
- chris egan
- adam thomson
- danny meyer
- matthew bate
- lynden dunn
- ryan willits

and, of course:

- andrew mcqualter
- adam pattison

how about ignoring his draft pick number, given that it's been seven full years since that draft occurred?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:he's 25 years of age...just approaching his prime and was originally a top 20 selection...yes he can get better...and he will under a better coach..... :wink: 8-)
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Peake was a seriel underperformer and it took a surfer mate to call him as weak as piss before he pulled a digit out....

Polo tries very hard....just hasnt got a great deal....

A real Ross Lyon Type

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:he's 25 years of age...just approaching his prime and was originally a top 20 selection...
you could say the same about:

- john meesen
- chris egan
- adam thomson
- danny meyer
- matthew bate
- lynden dunn
- ryan willits

and, of course:

- andrew mcqualter
- adam pattison

how about ignoring his draft pick number, given that it's been seven full years since that draft occurred?
no i couldn't...because they are mainly duds...none of them as good as polo....how about you not giving me advice about what i can and cannot post..or say...ffs...it's just my opinion....and you have yours.....

ps...it's really only your last sentence that queered your post for me.....

by the way...pattison wasn't given much of a chance ..imhfo.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
stinger wrote:he's 25 years of age...just approaching his prime and was originally a top 20 selection...yes he can get better...and he will under a better coach..... :wink: 8-)
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

got something to say clown??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Peake was a seriel underperformer and it took a surfer mate to call him as weak as piss before he pulled a digit out....

Polo tries very hard....just hasnt got a great deal....

A real Ross Lyon Type
:wink: :wink: ...you may have a point.....

...but re polo...i'm hopeful.....i like his toughness.....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I know blokes at my local club who are tough.....that alone wont cut the mustard....but I do see your point

He is an honest trier.....needs to get rid of the glove (I am serious)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I know blokes at my local club who are tough.....that alone wont cut the mustard....but I do see your point

He is an honest trier.....needs to get rid of the glove (I am serious)
Yep it really effected Cloke this year.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I see Polo as in a similar vein to Clint Jones. Not blessed with great skill, but a hard nut who wins the ball.

Of course, Jones has been a consistent performer for a number of years and has had games where he has dominated. Polo could potentially get to around this level if the planets align for him.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."