Bakes B&F doubt - likely a no show

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bakes B&F doubt - likely a no show

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... 1ldvn.html

STILL angered by being forced into retirement, St Kilda veteran Steven Baker is likely to boycott tonight's best-and-fairest count.

The Saints had waited until yesterday for Baker to confirm whether he would attend the event at Peninsula, Docklands. But the tough back pocket had resisted overtures, with the club admitting he was likely to be a no-show. A Saints spokeswoman said yesterday: ''I understand Baker is not going to bother turning up to the best and fairest on Saturday night, which has disappointed a lot of people.''

The Saints, however, are still expected to pay tribute to him with a highlights package.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

That's a shame for it to end badly. I love Bakes.

saintnick12
Club Player

Hmm, well that quote from the club spokesperson is hardly likely to change his mind, is it.

How about something along the lines of Steven was an important and valued member of our club for many years and we are still hopeful he will make it tomorrow night.

Still struggling to believe they are quoting her as saying "not going to bother turning up"

Hope he goes. He deserves a good send off. He might be angry, but not going is not a good look for him either.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shame and I reckon Lyon has a bit to answer for but in reality Baker was never going to get another contract with saints.

Sure, couldve been handled better.......but sooking an going out with a spat against the club youve been a big part of for a long time is dumb.

“Yeah….nah””
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Yeah no doubt Baker shouldnt be playing for the saints next year if we want to move forward IMO. One of my fav players but it could of been handled ALOT better.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Was never a shot for another contract. Should face facts and show up for the send off he deserves.

savatage
SS Life Member

Come on Bakes...don't be like that...everyone loves you.

noreason41
Club Player

Teflon wrote:shame and I reckon Lyon has a bit to answer for but in reality Baker was never going to get another contract with saints.

Sure, couldve been handled better.......but sooking an going out with a spat against the club youve been a big part of for a long time is dumb.
Yeah he does, but in the end he's gone now..

And i'd of thought that it was pretty obvious Bakes wasn't going around again.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

The delistings should have happened after the B&F but with Lyon having made up his mind that he was leaving probably premeditated the scene.

Another opportunity awaits!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bakes is being a sook and should rise above Lyin and our pathetic PR department and attend.

I hope they pay out on that bitch Lyin at the B&F.

Shame it is such a rip off to attend!

When is the AGM?

That's free I assume??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Bakes is being a sook and should rise above Lyin and our pathetic PR department and attend.

When is the AGM?

That's free I assume??
Unlike some people here I think they will be very mature about RL leaving. Epecially most of the star players who realise how good RL was for the club.

spert
Saintsational Legend

A player who has given years of service to the club should not be in a position where this situation occurs. Bakes might have thought his days were numbered in the seniors, but being told you are retiring when you aren't aware of it is a terrible way for the club to manage things and somthing akin to the Saints management of old- a real minus for Nettlefold and co.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:A player who has given years of service to the club should not be in a position where this situation occurs. Bakes might have thought his days were numbered in the seniors, but being told you are retiring when you aren't aware of it is a terrible way for the club to manage things and somthing akin to the Saints management of old- a real minus for Nettlefold and co.
But he did know he wasnt getting another contract. He had been told that.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Bakes is being a sook and should rise above Lyin and our pathetic PR department and attend.

When is the AGM?

That's free I assume??
Unlike some people here I think they will be very mature about RL leaving. Epecially most of the star players who realise how good RL was for the club.
Yes, well after Stripperpolegate and Gramtweetgate, the last thing the club needs are reports in the media tomorrow of Lyon being bagged out at the BnF.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:A player who has given years of service to the club should not be in a position where this situation occurs. Bakes might have thought his days were numbered in the seniors, but being told you are retiring when you aren't aware of it is a terrible way for the club to manage things and somthing akin to the Saints management of old- a real minus for Nettlefold and co.
But he did know he wasnt getting another contract. He had been told that.
Yep. Which is why he's behaving like a bitch. Seems ridiculous asking Baker to drink a cup of concrete, but he should. I mean what else is he gonna do? Sit at home a tweet sly digs at people?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintnick12
Club Player

If they didn't bag him in the immediate aftermath, I doubt they will start now, especially on the club's night of the year.

It's sad that the he won't be there given the B and F is such a coaches award and there would be a coach's speech and other presenting the awards etc. But I think it's the right decision. It would make the whole night uncomfortable if he were there.

I'm intending on watching the live stream tonight and expecting to see some strong words coming from the club - onwards and upwards. They have not lowered themselves to bagging him out up to now (players and administration have towed the party line) so I've now doubt that will continue tonight. It's a shame we won't have our new coach there to be welcome, but they need to take their time and make the right decision, even if that takes another week or two. This is a crucial time in our clubs history.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:Was never a shot for another contract. Should face facts and show up for the send off he deserves.
agree

saint4life
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

A fairly petulant display from #10 if he sooks it tonight..... I thought he was better than that

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:A fairly petulant display from #10 if he sooks it tonight..... I thought he was better than that
Yeah c'mon Bakes; don't go all "Kevin Bartlett" on us :P

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

David Grant, Nicky Winmar, it happens regularly unfortunately :(

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:David Grant, Nicky Winmar, it happens regularly unfortunately :(
It's part of our culture.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Q5
Club Player

Given that Bakes was in Sydney last night meeting & greeting the head of FreeLife, the company that produces TaiSlim that he now promotes, perhaps he is staying there to establish his future, rather than dwell on part of his life that he was 'retired' from...

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Disappointing but understandable...

Disappointing but understandable...BAKES was never the smartest cookie runnign around and obviously not a person of integrity!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Let's hope that he gets a few phone calls from the boys, encouraging him to turn up.

He will be out of football for a long time and this is just not the way to go out for him.

Get in there Bakes and enjoy the night and the applauds that will rightfully come your way. :D :D :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Disappointing but understandable...

WinnersOnly wrote:Disappointing but understandable...BAKES was never the smartest cookie runnign around and obviously not a person of integrity!
What I have learnt from some people on here is that you are quickly labelled things that are totally unfair if you do the slightest thing wrong. Bakes should suck it up and go but to say he isnt a person of integrity is way over the top.