Mick Malthouse(Saints Copied CollingwoodsGameplan09,10)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

murray 66
Club Player

Mick Malthouse(Saints Copied CollingwoodsGameplan09,10)

Is Mick really that delussional to think that Ross adopted their gameplan in 09,10
In the Age Mick was talking about how defence wins premierships and how the pies gameplan was rediculed by the press and other assistants until I quote "St Kilda started having some success with playing wide and structuring team defence and everyone started to get of our backs."
You can say what you want about Ross but I never heard MM and other coaches openly talk about Team structures and Team defence in their Pressers until Ross came along.
I think Buckley closely observed the Saints with his stint with the media and even spoke to MM about the need for change of game plan,which didn't sit well with MM at the time,but eventually MM wilted and as we no the rest is history.
I think Buckley will be a great coach but I wonder if he will ever get the credit he deserves with everyone thinking that it's MM's list he inherited and Micks gameplan that has given them success.

Go Saints..........................................................................

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Buckley openly admitted their game plan changed about rd 15 last year.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
murray 66
Club Player

One critic in particular - Malcolm Blight - had great success as a player and coach [with Geelong and Adelaide]. He played and coached his own way to achieve that. Surely he can realise that each team has its idiosyncrasies and each coach needs to support those idiosyncrasies.''
Malthouse said this general criticism subsided only because St Kilda adopted a similar style and had the same ratio of boundary play in reaching grand finals in 2009 and 2010.
''In 2010, our premiership year, our percentage of boundary-line play was as high as in 2009 and yet it drew very little criticism,'' he said.
Malthouse pointed to other sports such as rugby union, rugby league and soccer where ''when in dou

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... z1ZCgOWxEx

jays
Club Player

lol he has no idea

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

All of these "plans" evolve over time. Had we had 6 Aaron Hamill's in 2004, we would have had the "forward press" game a lot sooner. But, it was Hawthorn who added the forward "out zoning" that we adopted in 2009. Ross saw what happened in the '08 PF and tweaked things. Collingwood saw what happened in Round 7 2009 and began the change.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He rang the press to tell them he invented Dennis Lillies mo too.

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Did those missing laptops ever turn up .... say at filth headquarters???

The Mr has always say Bucks has been the brains since he signed on - could you see Eddie Everywhere putting in a succession plan without knowing what he was going to get..........

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Mrs_Seaford_Saint wrote:Did those missing laptops ever turn up .... say at filth headquarters???

The Mr has always say Bucks has been the brains since he signed on - could you see Eddie Everywhere putting in a succession plan without knowing what he was going to get..........
From what I hear Buckley doesn't have any brains.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:
Mrs_Seaford_Saint wrote:Did those missing laptops ever turn up .... say at filth headquarters???

Queue plugger66 to enter and let us know that he has a best mate who knows Buckley and he does in fact have brains etc etc...

:wink: :sarcasm:

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:
Ice Wolf wrote:

Queue plugger66 to enter and let us know that he has a best mate who knows Buckley and he does in fact have brains etc etc...

:wink: :sarcasm:
I fully accept that Buckleys head does contain an adult human brain, i just contend that he has very little in the way of what would be considered intellegence.

Rosco
Club Player

i suppose malthouse only called milne a rapist after he heard lyon do it in 2007...

Garibaldi
Club Player

Malthouse has Alzheimer's thus the transition. Its being kept quiet but its bound to come out with all the guff he keeps talking.
Yes, I got it from one of those reliable sources so you can take it to the bank...

boo effin hoo
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

it'll probably become debilitating one week into his watertight four year contract with us.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Confirms in my mind that this guy is mad for his own ego and not what we need.

Go young.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dunno, looks like he could come up with a pretty clever gameplan...

Jakes
Club Player

Going against the grain but he's actually right. He's just referring to a small part of the game plan.

In 08 Collingwood played the ball through the wings as opposed through the middle of the ground and did get heavily criticised for it because when the ball did get inside the forward 50 it would end up in the pocket and the then unreliable forwards they had kicking for goal would inevitably miss.

When in 09 StKilda refined their defensive press game plan, their counterattack would also be played on the wings and not just the centre of the ground. I remember one analyst commenting on it saying "StKilda almost dare their opponents to play through the centre of the ground".

So whilst yes Collingwood then went on to incorporate part of StKilda's game plan (and ultimately make it better) Malthouse's comments aren't actually incorrect.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Jakes wrote:
When in 09 StKilda refined their defensive press game plan, their counterattack would also be played on the wings and not just the centre of the ground. I remember one analyst commenting on it saying "StKilda almost dare their opponents to play through the centre of the ground".
Daring your opponents to play the centre corridor doesnt necessarily mean we played the wings???

“Yeah….nah””
Jakes
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Jakes wrote:
Daring your opponents to play the centre corridor doesnt necessarily mean we played the wings???
It doesn't necessarily mean that but because we attacked on the wings and because of how good our press was, the opposition often had little choice but to try attack through the centre of the ground. Unfortunately for most of them it didn't work because our defence was so miserly.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:lol he has no idea
Nup, no idea.

He'd love to keep coaching but honors his contract until the end and now may never coach AFL again.

I rate MM way above Lyin at the moment.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.