Barks Was right,,,rossy really was a super coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Barks Was right,,,rossy really was a super coach

He really got the best out of lukie ball

Really recognised his value as a player

Sack the board

Rossy was right, he was wronged by the saints

Sack the board

#1 Ryder fan
Richter
SS Life Member

Yep. And Misson really got the best out of him fitness-wise.

One of the best high performance managers in the AFL.

Sack the board.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
wolfpup
Club Player

yes, the handling of luke ball was a master stroke by lyon, well played sir

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

oh, but getting rid of ball (oh and pick 16) allowed us to get lovett - for only 150 grand a year more.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Winmarvellous
Club Player

get over it ffs

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:get over it ffs
Learn from it ffs

I blame Lyon for pisspoor judgement of character and pisspoor judgement of what it takes to climb the mountain - quality on field leaders and quality contested ball winners.

Whether you are talking about onfield talent or offfield behaviour, Lyon's role players he brought into the team had clearly been perceived to have weaknesses by other clubs. He didn't want to risk trying to develop and nurture talent, but he wanted to take on a high risk individual in Lovett.

It took us five years to realise that Ross was not planning for the ongoing development of talent and future on field leaders on the Saints list.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Winmarvellous wrote:get over it ffs
Learn from it ffs.
Well, it's not really a 'mistake' the club seems to be making that often, you may not live to see it happen again. I agree, this blubbing over LB years down the track is a tad pathetic.

savatage
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: It took us five years to realise that Ross was not planning for the ongoing development of talent and future on field leaders on the Saints list.
To be fair, on this particular point, it has been a pretty constant talking point for the last few years amongst Saints supporters.

A lot of people here have doubted the longer term strategies of our former mate & of his continual selection of veteran & recyled players.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He didn't want to play for St Kilda, it's just pointless still wondering about it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

FAIR DINKUM

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sack the Board-IMMEDIATELY!!! (FAIR DINKUM) now that ought to sort out all the troubles at St Kilda!! Eh? an alternative? name an alternative board/CEO/President? coach?? I haven;t got time for details like that!!!!! I am FAR too busy (FAIR DINKUM!) making lots of noise and hassle to be bothered with details like that!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
eppo67
Club Player

SainterK wrote:He didn't want to play for St Kilda, it's just pointless still wondering about it.
Not quite true the fact is he didn't want to play for St.kilda under RL b/c he believed RL didn't rate him and had lost faith in him.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

I'm pretty sure he did want to play for St Kilda, he just didn't want to be played in the way he was.
Fact is in the 2009 1st version he was doing well and then he barely saw any of it.
Most of use got frustrated with how he became as a player, slow, poor kicking etc but I think it just shows how sometimes you just need to have faith (Gwilt, Peake, Dempster) but if you are going to get rid of a player, at least get something for him if others want him!!

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:
SainterK wrote:He didn't want to play for St Kilda, it's just pointless still wondering about it.
Not quite true the fact is he didn't want to play for St.kilda under RL b/c he believed RL didn't rate him and had lost faith in him.
Heaps of players stay on without ripper relationships with the coach, if he wanted to, surely he could of.

He didn't though, he chose to go the Pies.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

eppo67 wrote:
Off course he wanted to play for the Saints. Yes he thought he was not rated/wanted and no certainty for regular games going forward.

Easy for folks to make Ball responsible for his own villain status - yet the coach said 'there were expectations not met on both sides....etc'
This has been mentioned over and over on these boards :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The BIGGEST myth doing the rounds today is that Lyon is the "best coach in the AFL"....NONSENSE!!!! I thought RL did well by the Saints in getting us to the GF in 2009 & 2010 however he was OUTCOACHED! in all those games!
Our best player in the 2009 GF was warming the pine for most of the game! and if the ragpies had kicked straight we would have been GONE by 1/2 time in 2010 in GF1. On the biggest stage the guy was found wanting!

Griggsy
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:The BIGGEST myth doing the rounds today is that Lyon is the "best coach in the AFL"....NONSENSE!!!! I thought RL did well by the Saints in getting us to the GF in 2009 & 2010 however he was OUTCOACHED! in all those games!
Our best player in the 2009 GF was warming the pine for most of the game! and if the ragpies had kicked straight we would have been GONE by 1/2 time in 2010 in GF1. On the biggest stage the guy was found wanting!
While I agree with pretty much all your points, including the Ball one. He did get a lot out of the team. However he made us the most hated team in the competition to watch. Something I look forward to changing.

sRaf
Club Player

Love him or hate him, Ross was a superb coach. In hindsight, it's easy to dismiss all his achievements, but from all reports the players and the staff at St Kilda held his knowledge for the game with high regard.

The panel was good enough to find Ross, even though he wasn't a favourite to become our coach. Hopefully this panel have the ability to find another who will get the job done.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I neither love nor hate Ross Lyon. He did amazing things with our list in 2008/09. In 2010 when everyone wrote-off our chances after Roo went down, Ross kept the team focussed and we made the GF against the odds. BUT, deep in thier heart, did any of us feel confident going into the Gf's against the ragpies? Our style of play gave me little cause to ever feel too confident! One never knows; a new coach MAY just give our boys a taste for good attacking footy! NOW! there's something to be excited about!

kalsaint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
eppo67 wrote:
Heaps of players stay on without ripper relationships with the coach, if he wanted to, surely he could of.

He didn't though, he chose to go the Pies.
The difference is that Luke Ball was a good first round pick who suffered early injuries that limited his ability to kick. His in and under work was never questioned in my mind but Ross didnt rate Lkes style of game to be selected in teh top 22 consistnetly. Many players would have made this choice. Many coaches wouldnt have made the choice RL did.

I my book I really rate Ross Lyon highly but have always believed this was his worst mistake. I sort of understand why Ross didnt rate Luke at the time as he was looking to get more scoreboard pressure from midfield players and Luke's kicking at the time was not real flash and didnt fit. However, Luke's in and under skill was paramount to the midfield performance as is Lenny's.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SPOT-ON!!!!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Knew this thread was coming but to be started by the person who announced with satisfaction that RL was staying and seemed very happy about it surprises me. Well I shouldnt be surprised after the last week really. Misson and RL were no good because Bally is now good.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

It's probably why he didn't want to, that's the point or the issue.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

sRaf wrote:In hindsight, it's easy to dismiss all his achievements...
And they were?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Misson and RL were no good because Bally is now good.
Seems to be what this thread is saying

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.