ROSS DIDN'T DECEIVE US

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

ROSS DIDN'T DECEIVE US

ST KILDA skipper Nick Riewoldt has backed Ross Lyon's version of events, saying the departing coach never told the playing group he'd continue on next season.

Reports had suggested Lyon told the Saints after their elimination loss to the Sydney Swans that he would continue in the role in 2012, a claim Lyon denied.

Speaking to Chanel Seven's AFL Game Day, Riewoldt also dismissed the notion.

"That's a misconception that's out there at the moment, at no stage did Ross say black and white that he was going to stay, everyone knew he was contracted [in 2012] and I think there were a lot of assumptions made, but at no stage did he say verbatim, 'I'll be here next year'," Riewoldt said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle ... fault.aspx

What would Riewoldt know and Goddard for that matter?

I'm sure all the dumbed down dingbats on here who source their info from hearsay and journalist opinion are the one's who really have their fingers on the pulse.

Must be time for someone to post a link to that Gerard Whateley article to get the real truth on the matter!

Blind leading the blind once again!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

in may in the newspaper he emphatically states that he is contracted for 2012 and he would stay for the contract.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

isn't that the issue - lyon at no time stated his intentions, despite obviously having them. he certainly knew the playing group held the assumption that he would see out his contract. he happily allowed them to keep those assumptions.
nick has done the right thing in rising above the ethics of the issue.
so has the club.
lyon can go chase a flag elsewhere if he wants - he had his chance here, and failed, albeit by the narrowest of margins. i doubt we would have a better chance under him in the future.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:in may in the newspaper he emphatically states that he is contracted for 2012 and he would stay for the contract.
He was headhunted and he said he did not know about the Freo/Mark Harvey arrangement. Anyone could see that.
Last edited by SaintPav on Sun 18 Sep 2011 9:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
saintly wrote:in may in the newspaper he emphatically states that he is contracted for 2012 and he would stay for the contract.
He was headhunted and he said he did not not about the Freo/Mark Harvey arrangement. Anyone could see that.

Bahahahahahaha are you serious?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
He was headhunted and he said he did not not about the Freo/Mark Harvey arrangement. Anyone could see that.

are you?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

are you?
And if you believe that, you'll believe anything.

:roll:

Most deceitful cocksucker in our history.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The shock's obviously still wearing off on Rooey. A bit of denial there.

Ask him again in another few months.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

are you?

Can you "hold your head high" with such a vulgar comment?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

are you?

My head's very high as a long serving Saint supporter.

RL was here for a very short time and then left as a rat IMO.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: ROSS DIDN'T DECEIVE US

barks4eva wrote:Blind leading the blind once again!
who are you directing this too Barks-
saints, media or supporters?

did you manage to catch the two interviews this morning?
because although your link - the AFL article - is the most accurate on any fact it is not the exact information as given by either player..

the other links conveniently neglect to put complete sentences or information..-

BJ said they were under the impression that Ross was staying- yes he had not said in black and white he was but up untill wedneday lunch time that was the impression- same with his ' Contracted' managers..
why would the club be expected to read the signals when his players didn't either.

in the thread on Roo on Ch 7 there is alink to his part of this mornings program may I suggest posters have a listen.

both guys say- THIS group has been here before and the core is strong....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

There is no doubt that there is a lot of conjecture surrounding this matter.

My read is that the Club was wary in April and put things on hold.

As the performance of the team improved and we were winning games, and looked like making the finals, the Club decided that "we want Ross." That was the time to get the deal done. They waited until after we finished our run - a big mistake.

"The hidden agenda's" - there seems to have been some mistrust between the Club and Ross over several unpublicised matters - possibly Pelchen's appointment and level of control, possibly the amount of funds available for Football Department investment etc.

That Ross got a better offer and took it, says a lot about the "friction" that was there between himself and the Club. These circumstances require careful, professional management. We just don't have that at the Saints and Ross took the better offer as he was entitled to do. That he shat in a few faces, is another distasteful and different story, which I deplore.

We need to get much better as a Club in our management. It's getting to be a real problem - on any measurement, the management is simply "not delivering" - sack the Coach and sack the CEO!
Last edited by Junction Oval on Sun 18 Sep 2011 9:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

are you?

My head's very high as a long serving Saint supporter.

RL was here for a very short time and then left as a rat IMO.
Well they're your inside perceptions.

linmarnic
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

are you?
And if you believe that, you'll believe anything.On the BF Freo Board, one Freo poster was saying that Lyon actually put it out there some time ago that he is approachable and available if the price was right. That's what prompted their CEO to approach Lyon.

No proof that that is true but knowing what we now know about Lyin, that is very plausible and would not put it past him to shop himself around.

Never give up
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: I'm sure all the dumbed down dingbats on here who source their info from hearsay and journalist opinion are the one's who really have their fingers on the pulse.

Must be time for someone to post a link to that Gerard Whateley article to get the real truth on the matter!

Thank god we have you to steer us down the right path :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

He was contracted for 2012. Simple as that. Can't believe saint pav still defending this bloke. He did us over and left us with a diabolical list. End of story.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: I'm sure all the dumbed down dingbats on here who source their info from hearsay and journalist opinion are the one's who really have their fingers on the pulse.

In Ross You (Still) Trust :roll: Pathetic really.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.... this one's the boards fault , imo.

... preaching the 10 year plan , then inserting a get out clause ,
showed both sides where they stood.

... he was gone then .
... believing in the he was 'headhunted' story is for ron l hubbard fans.

he even had a 'convient' smokescreen /s to do his work behind.
... there's interest in following those leads.

theres been a bit of a doublepronged attack on our footy club , imo ,
... one mob , coz they could and coz we couldnt beat em , the second mob are pissed off.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
linmarnic
Club Player

Sorry, don't know what happened to my post above. Anyway, what I was trying to say is that on the BF Freo board, one Freo poster is saying that he believes that Lyon put out signals during the year that he was available for the right offer. That's what prompted the approach from Freo as they did not know he had an out clause and would have waited until next year.

I don't know if this is true but knowing what we now know of Lyin, I would not put it past him hat he was shopping himself around during this year while he was "committed" to coaching our team.

Never give up
pc_saint

ross didn't deceive us

barks

unfortunately Reiwoldt and Goddard are both playing the company line
a policy that has been implemented throughout the Lyon tenure
we will never know what was said between individuals, but suffice to say that a contract was close to being signed, which was the belief amongst those at St.Kilda
The bombshell was his departure, when he was actually due to announce his re-signing
it would seem that Lyon has taken the money and run, he saw an out, with alot $$$ signs and thought that why not set myself and my family up for the future, one never knows how long they have in this caper, just ask Bailey, or Brittain, or Watson etc.etc or for that matter Harvey, who is now will be forever seen as second rate
as Gerard Whateley remarks in his article, his issue is in the manner in which Lyon has dealt with this matter, that for Lyon and Fremantle, the end justifies the means
he has effectively played the two clubs against each other and gone for the bigger prize
Maybe now some of the young kids will get a go and the group may start to play some better looking footy
which one can only say will be a good thing for the club and its future

Leo.J
SS Life Member

TBH I really didn't like the way we played, but I dealt with it because I'd watch the Saints play even if we we're playing in D Grade Ammo's.

That said I wanted Ross to stay for the stability of the club...

He's gone now and hopefully the board has learnt from it's mistakes, because over the past 2 years there have been many.

However to destabilise the board now would be far worse than a coach leaving....

Don't get me wrong I'm a little concerned, but my concern is with Rooeys knee and BJ's contract.

StGoddard18
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:There is no doubt that there is a lot of conjecture surrounding this matter.

My read is that the Club was wary in April and put things on hold.

As the performance of the team improved and we were winning games, and looked like making the finals, the Club decided that "we want Ross." That was the time to get the deal done. They waited until after we finished our run - a big mistake.

"The hidden agenda's" - there seems to have been some mistrust between the Club and Ross over several unpublicised matters - possibly Pelchen's appointment and level of control, possibly the amount of funds available for Football Department investment etc.

That Ross got a better offer and took it, says a lot about the "friction" that was there between himself and the Club. These circumstances require careful, professional management. We just don't have that at the Saints and Ross took the better offer as he was entitled to do. That he shat in a few faces, is another distasteful and different story, which I deplore.

We need to get much better as a Club in our management. It's getting to be a real problem - on any measurement, the management is simply "not delivering" - sack the Coach and sack the CEO!

I agree about the management. I feel we need to sign Goddard an extension or he will go on us. We can't make the same mistake twice

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:TBH I really didn't like the way we played, but I dealt with it because I'd watch the Saints play even if we we're playing in D Grade Ammo's.

That said I wanted Ross to stay for the stability of the club...

He's gone now and hopefully the board has learnt from it's mistakes, because over the past 2 years there have been many.

However to destabilise the board now would be far worse than a coach leaving....

Don't get me wrong I'm a little concerned, but my concern is with Rooeys knee and BJ's contract.
Spot on :wink:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

He was contracted for 2012. Simple as that. Can't believe saint pav still defending this bloke. He did us over and left us with a diabolical list. End of story.
I never mentioned loyalty once on this board.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I feel that against a backdrop of two new teams at least ripping the heart out the competition by siphoning off talent and having their coffers stuffed full 'just because' a new era has well and truly dawned. Loyalty, as Ross said, is an outside perception that means little in the modern landscape.

Personally - and sadly - I feel Goddard is as good as gone.

We'll trade for picks. They'll pay out the year he owes.

Hate saying it, but it's what I feel.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'