Dear WA Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dear WA Saints

Hi WA Saints,
I have just been offered a job in Perth.
Im tossing up the pros and cons. Can you guys give me the pros and cons of Perth life? (no pun intended).

Cheers
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 29 Jul 2011 5:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

defacto
Club Player

pro's:
amazing beaches
gorgeous women

con's:
high cost of living
CUB (cashed up bogans)

Sam23
SS Life Member

Not sure how old you are con but from what I hear from all mates who have been there the nightlife is terrible in compassion to Melbourne (I'm 20)

Goddard.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

the only 'pro' about Perth is it is the most isolated city in the world, so all those feral WCE and Freo supporters stay well clear of me.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:the only 'pro' about Perth is it is the most isolated city in the world, so all those feral WCE and Freo supporters stay well clear of me.
The nearest city to Perth with a population of more than 500,000 is Adelaide, South Australia, which is 2,104 kilometres (1,307 mi) away. Author Bill Bryson states that Perth is the most remote city on earth,which he justifies by noting that the population of metropolitan Perth is greater than the combined populations of the rest of Western Australia, the Northern Territory and South Australia, west of Adelaide.

However, other measures suggest that Honolulu (population 900,000), which is 3,841 kilometres (2,387 mi) from San Francisco; or Auckland (population 1.35M), which is 2,153 kilometres (1,338 mi) from Sydney, are more isolated.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 29 Jul 2011 5:59pm, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

A pro is your name is con.

A con would be if your name was pro.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

from a distance

as in I'm not a Perthite

+ weather, lifetsyle, local supporter group quite active due to tyranny of distance.

- distance from... family and FOOTBALL, meaning pages full of Eagles and Dockers, cost of getting back too. or even getting into Saints games in Perth.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
derby Street
Club Player

Lot's to consider Con and difficult not knowing your personal circumstances. I have sent you a P.M

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:pro's:
amazing beaches
gorgeous women

con's:
high cost of living
CUB (cashed up bogans)
I think there are Pro's in Melb too but not that I would know.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stewmac
Club Player

i lived in melbourne before moving to perth ...

pros weather and u may earn more cash here

cons Its Perth ,its slow, expensive compared to Melbourne,nightlife/restaraunts/shopping not as good either
worst drivers in the world all live in perth too...

Apart from that you make of it what you can ,if i didnt have family here i probably wouldnt be here really ,based on slowness and apathy in business.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

are you doubling the wage so you can afford to get to most saints games each week by air?

melbs is better imo

On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

Con, I grew up in Melbourne. I was offered a job here in Perth in 88. I thought I'll come over here for two years. I'm still happily living in Perth.

It's now well and truly my home.

The pros
The weather
The beaches
The people tend to be happier and friendlier because of the weather.
The lifestyle in general.
Very little traffic (but getting worse)

The cons
Cost of living
The Eagles and Dockers
The "Eastern States" are out to get us mentality.

It took me a couple of years to settle in, I still miss my family and friends but I fly over a few times a year to catch up.

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i love melbourne its a great city but Perth is home .. basically what everyone else said about perth is true , it is expensive to live here the weather is generally the best in australia , our beaches hands down are the best in the world (especially if you have a passion for 4wd there are some remote beachs that most people dont know about that are amazing).. the people are generally happy here of course like everywhere there are exceptions , if you like a drink then perth is a place for you as its pretty common in the suburbs for neighbors to have a beer or 10 on a friday night on the front lawn ... we have the slowest speed limits on the freeways in the western world (80kms down the Graham Farmer Freeway is a joke) but the conjestion is nothing on Melbourne ...

the best pro of WA has to be the Western Saints !!! (but im bias)

the night life is pretty lame we have Northbridge that is a small nightclub area if thats your thing but there isnt the same varriety as Melbourne .. the food is pretty good again its nothing on Melbournes restaraunts and in perth the only food outlet after 9:30 pm is McDonalds

we are the mining State so yeah we have lots of cashed up Bogans so in the suburbs your neighbours will prob have a V8 commodore painted fluro green with a trailer pulling a jetski ..

just east of Perth we have the metro wine region (the Swan Valley) and if your into wine you will love it the perth wines are near on the best in the world ..

Perth is still a bit backwards but slowly we are catching up with the major cities (heck we have supermarkets open til 9pm now)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Zac Attack
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:the only 'pro' about Perth is it is the most isolated city in the world, so all those feral WCE and Freo supporters stay well clear of me.
Shut up. You join in these conversations like a know-it-all child answering a question that was not asked in the finrst place.

Batnoe
Club Player

Con lives in Brisbane- not Melbourne so you're all saying whether when it's good in brisbane

Carn Saints
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:Con lives in Brisbane- not Melbourne so you're all saying whether when it's good in brisbane
hes in Brissy !! then come on down mate Perth has it all over Brisvegas !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
The Bluff
Club Player

Perth is the lifestyle capital of the world, if you are into outdoor activities such as surfing, sailing, windsurfing, kite surfing, fishing, diving, mountain biking, camping, etc etc. Perth's climate make it a great place to get out there and be active.

The Jeff
Club Player

I have moved to Perth for work about 2 months ago.

I am originally from Melbourne and will always consider it to be the greatest city in Australia but have lived in the NT and QLD.

So how does Perth stack up? It is a little quiet for me but as long as you enjoy the work and make friends accordingly it is a pretty comfortable place to live. People are friendly; albeit, for quite a few Cashed up Bogans get around.

My biggest advice for someone new to Perth is to make sure you have a car. Most of Perth's attractive features, as listed by other posters, are really only accessible by car. It is a very spread out city and although the Public Transport isn't as bad as they think, it is a lage place to navigate nonetheless.

As for the Dockers / Eagles dribble - I haven't found it too hard to tolerate seeming as we have beat them both this year 8-)

FQF
spert
Saintsational Legend

I know Perth is closer to Africa than Melbourne

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:Con lives in Brisbane- not Melbourne so you're all saying whether when it's good in brisbane
Well I am a Melburninan through and through - Lived there my whole life (school/uni/work/family/friends) been in Brissie since September 2010 so I guess its fair to compare to Melbourne or Brisbane.

I have heard the cost of living is sky high ($30 pub meals/$10 pints) but I guess thats just because mates end up in expensive touristy areas if they arent locals.

I'm a keen surfer - so that is a big drawcard for me.

But thanks for the discussion and response. Interesting.

(I also have seen the stats that there are more males than females in Perth & WA. - perhaps the State Government needs a woman recruitment drive??).

Batnoe
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Well I am a Melburninan through and through - Lived there my whole life (school/uni/work/family/friends) been in Brissie since September 2010 so I guess its fair to compare to Melbourne or Brisbane.

I have heard the cost of living is sky high ($30 pub meals/$10 pints) but I guess thats just because mates end up in expensive touristy areas if they arent locals.

(I also have seen the stats that there are more males than females in Perth & WA. - perhaps the State Government needs a woman recruitment drive??).
I think Zac may have opened his mouth in front of your girlfriend?

Are you planning a move without letting her know? hahahaha

Carn Saints
Zac Attack
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Apologies I really buggered that one up.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Zac Attack wrote:
Batnoe wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Apologies I really buggered that one up.
that was funny. i got grilled about it later in the evening. Im just seeking the opinions of our WA comrades.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Zac Attack wrote:
Shut up. You join in these conversations like a know-it-all child answering a question that was not asked in the finrst place.
and you only join conversations to abuse someone.

xox

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
St Michele
Club Player

Having lived in Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin and visited Bribane.northern NSW often we chose Perth to live :

The summers are great and we normally get rain for a month or so at once (right now although this has changed over the last few years) we also have dry heat so it can be hotter and not impact your quality of life so much.Housing was cheaper but it really depends where you want to live, I live in Rockingham ( yes i know bewfore anyone starts Bogan City) but housing is still a reasonable price you can get a 4x2 house for under $400 000. It is close to the beach so you get the sea breeze and the beaches are beautiful here. Transport is pretty good and people are in the main nice. Education is great for kids and alos access to Uni etc. It is cheap to travel to Asia for a holiday....

As for the cons: there are only two teams i elsen the AFL and St Kilda is not one of them....(except if you listen to 6PR in the mornings) so the media coverage on the footy is pretty bad. Being a Saints supporter though you meet other great Saints supporters because you stand out...when you see a Saints jumper when you are shopping you always stop for a chat.
There are only two games a year here (or one ) and the crowd is so biased but it is amazing when we win :-)

Western Australians are West Australian first and Australian second, they always talk about ceceeding and how their taxes pay for the Eastern States to survive.

All in all I wouldn't live anywhere else although love visiting Melbourne etc.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!