Why is it...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Why is it...

That all our free kicks seem to be in the defensive half or in the middle of the ground, whilst the opposition are continually gifted goals from decisions/non-decisions in our defensive end. Geelong had a number of goals (I think around 4-5) directly as a result of free kicks in front of goal, and one from the non-mark/50 to Baker as well. Disgraceful. In the mean time, Kosi gets tripped by Scarlett on one occasion, clearly pushed in the back by him on another instance, and Milne gets more or less assaulted in the last quarter to no avail.

Our skills are deplorable, and that's what lost us the game, but by God there were some appalling decisions made at times that could have swung the momentum our way. Kosi gets that push in the back call (he was about 25m out directly in front), nails the goal we'd be down by 7 points in the 3rd.

The Saints are coming!
suss
Club Player

Kosi was totally dudded tonight. Every time he went on a lead he was either pushed in the back, tripped, bumped, scragged or held. It was mentioned by David King on 3AW post-game show. How the **** Scarlett gets away with it I'll never know and why the umpires pay it at one end and not the other is a complete and utter ******* mystery.

Tonight just re-affirmed two things for me:

1. umpires are unbelievably stupid; and
2: Geelong are the most disgraceful bunch of cheats playing football.

Chapman and Johnston constantly playing for frees by flopping and diving is unbearable to watch. Thank God that other little diver/ducker/chucker got his comeuppance and wasn't out there to add to the misery.

The umpiring didn't cost us the game, but it did cost us a CHANCE to win the game.

In fact, tonight was the worst umpiring I've seen since...the Essendon-North game earlier today. :wink:

Cro
Club Player

The last 5 mins of the 3rd quarter was a joke, decision after decision helped the Cats restore their lead.

Baker wasn't paid the mark for touched off the boot. However, he still should have got the free for a push in the back.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:Kosi was totally dudded tonight. Every time he went on a lead he was either pushed in the back, tripped, bumped, scragged or held. It was mentioned by David King on 3AW post-game show. How the **** Scarlett gets away with it I'll never know and why the umpires pay it at one end and not the other is a complete and utter ******* mystery.

Chapman and Johnston constantly playing for frees by flopping and diving is unbearable to watch. Thank God that other little diver/ducker/chucker got his comeuppance and wasn't out there to add to the misery.

The umpiring didn't cost us the game, but it did cost us a CHANCE to win the game.

In fact, tonight was the worst umpiring I've seen since...the Essendon-North game earlier today. :wink:
Totally agree.

On radio they went as far as saying that Ray Chamberlain would have to review hisperformance on tonights effort cause it was ordinary.

3rd qtr comment made on radio was "both sides going hard at it.....the difference is the umpiring.."

After all the noise out of the Essendon/Nth game today where soft frees are paid 15m out in front of goals....questiosn need to be asked.

Jeff Gieschen has had long enough,more resources than anyone before him...yet weekly holding the ball is a lottery and tiggy touchwood frees in front of goals are deciding matches.

IMHO the umpiring is one part of our game thats gone backwards and not fwds.

Sure its not the main reason we lost (our own skills made sure of that) -but no doubt this had an enormous impact on the result - tomuch so IMO to the point where the game is over officiated and becoming tough watch.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintDippa
Club Player

+1

The worst umpiring and commentary I can remember. The trip on Kosi, Walls/Quartermain/Hudson .." tangle of legs" yeah right, Scarlett got away with murder tonight along with Taylor and Longergan who continually chopped arms and impeded runs to the footy. Absolute disgrace.

However, if only we could hit a target. Gram's foot skills and heart again questionable but most of the kicks inside our F50 were to contests. Disappointing.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Of course. Umpires werent that bad.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
suss
Club Player

SaintDippa wrote:+1

The worst umpiring and commentary I can remember. The trip on Kosi, Walls/Quartermain/Hudson .." tangle of legs" yeah right, Scarlett got away with murder tonight along with Taylor and Longergan who continually chopped arms and impeded runs to the footy. Absolute disgrace.

However, if only we could hit a target. Gram's foot skills and heart again questionable but most of the kicks inside our F50 were to contests. Disappointing.
Totally agree on the foot skills and decision making by the way. We seemed reluctant to take the game on and kick deep into attack and our execution was poor at critical times. The shitful umpiring just made a difficult task nigh on impossible.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

As if that wasn't a free kick to Bakes when he "marked" the touched kick when Geelong jumped into his back. If that was a mark, in any other match it would of been an automatic 50 metre penalty and we don't even get the free FFS!!! :x

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

You forgot to mention the mark that was not paid to Macca early in the 3rd where the ball was knocked out of his hand and his face was almost taken off his face and he left the ground under the blood rule with cut to the nose area......

Knew we were in trouble when I saw that Ray 'I have no effin idea' Chamberlain was umpiring.....

Not saying the umpires are 'biased', well, maybe I am. Either that or they are incompetent........ :evil:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Cant believe what they allow the Geelong backs to do to Reiwoldt. Lonergan completely focuses on Riewoldt and ignores the ball. Cant fathom why Kosis werent paid the ump was clearly there to see it as Milne looked directly at him and questioned it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
St Lenny
Club Player

suss wrote:Kosi was totally dudded tonight. Every time he went on a lead he was either pushed in the back, tripped, bumped, scragged or held. It was mentioned by David King on 3AW post-game show. How the **** Scarlett gets away with it I'll never know and why the umpires pay it at one end and not the other is a complete and utter ******* mystery.

Thankyou, we were totally dudded by the umpires tonight and I rarely blame them. Not for a minute saying they lost us the game, but there was some shockers against us tonight. BUT, we rarely get frees in front of goal. Yet nearlly every week the opposition get usually around 4 goals from frees.

Having said that, 2 Girlong players ran into each other and we got the free, well the same thing happened to us v Colinwood the other week.

But Girlong are truely the biggest packer of whingers ever.
Last edited by St Lenny on Sun 19 Jun 2011 1:39am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintDippa
Club Player

On the IQ every Roo and Kosi contest was rewound and played on the slow-mo. The umpires on at least 15 occasions would have to be kidding. Riewoldt and Kosi were continually pushed in the back, chopped, jumped into, blocked, ... . There a 3 umps out there and all refused to pay any frees to us 10/20/30m out.

Disgrace.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

CURLY wrote:Cant believe what they allow the Geelong backs to do to Reiwoldt. Lonergan completely focuses on Riewoldt and ignores the ball. Cant fathom why Kosis werent paid the ump was clearly there to see it as Milne looked directly at him and questioned it.
Does the same thing to Franklin when he plays on him as well. Gets away with murder.

The Saints are coming!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

saint75 wrote:You forgot to mention the mark that was not paid to Macca early in the 3rd where the ball was knocked out of his hand and his face was almost taken off his face and he left the ground under the blood rule with cut to the nose area......

Knew we were in trouble when I saw that Ray 'I have no effin idea' Chamberlain was umpiring.....

Not saying the umpires are 'biased', well, maybe I am. Either that or they are incompetent........ :evil:

Yeah, but it's OK because Razor is on a nickname basis with all the players so he's their buddy.

The Saints are coming!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

To be honest, some claim that the umpiring doesn't change the outcome of the game, but seriously, most of those *cough* decisions *cough* were at crucial points in the game tonight. Momentum is everything!

When have you EVER seen free kick given when a runner runs over the mark of a player from his own team? When? I want round number, team and the year cause I sure as effin well haven't!!!!

Add up some of the missed decisions and bad decisions and even if we had only of kicked points, we still probably would have won.

Am I angry about it, you freakin bet I am!!!! Seems to happen on an all to regular basis since the years of GT and I am sick of being told I am paranoid or jumping at shadows when I call it!

Seems if they come out and admit it was wrong after the game, that makes it alright (ala the Polo decision against Collingwood immediately springs to mind).

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

My favourite was the one paid to Stokes in the goalsquare, when he had (can't remember who's) arm locked under his armpit.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:My favourite was the one paid to Stokes in the goalsquare, when he had (can't remember who's) arm locked under his armpit.
Was that the one with Jimmy?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Cro
Club Player

saint75 wrote: When have you EVER seen free kick given when a runner runs over the mark of a player from his own team? When? I want round number, team and the year cause I sure as effin well haven't!!!!
You don't see it because most Runners are familiar with the rules. Clearly ours aren't.

Cro
Club Player

saint75 wrote:
SainterK wrote:My favourite was the one paid to Stokes in the goalsquare, when he had (can't remember who's) arm locked under his armpit.
Was that the one with Jimmy?
No that was Baker.. He had to turn around because of Stokes hold, as soon as he did the whistle went.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Cro wrote:
saint75 wrote: When have you EVER seen free kick given when a runner runs over the mark of a player from his own team? When? I want round number, team and the year cause I sure as effin well haven't!!!!
You don't see it because most Runners are familiar with the rules. Clearly ours aren't.
Did that make you feel better? Will you sleep easier tonight?

Wasn't the question I asked and other runners HAVE made the same error in the past. So do you want to try again?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

I actually hate that drug mule now. He is one of the worst at Geelong in terms of playing for frees. Not to say we don't have players that do it on occasion as well, but Stokes REALLY pissed me off tonight.

The Saints are coming!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
I actually hate that drug mule now. He is one of the worst at Geelong in terms of playing for frees. Not to say we don't have players that do it on occasion as well, but Stokes REALLY pissed me off tonight.
Yes me too, the hit to Kosi in his ging gangs about sums him up as a person.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

the umps were shite tonight , we got some soft decisions as well , but it always when and where you get them , at crucial times in the game , unpaid frees to us and soft ones to them killed our chance to level the game

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:
Never liked the pr%#k!

Kosi will go for that tackle. Nothing surer!! Just heard it mentioned on the news. No mention of the Geelong players sling tackle on Steven that was 20 times worse!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:
Pretty much. Poor form. Real cheap shot.

The Saints are coming!