So much for playing the young guys.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint58
Club Player

So much for playing the young guys.

I am very disapointed with our team her we had a chance to play some young key position players,Archer,Johnson,Lynch,Walsh,Stanley and what do we do.

Dropping Ledger,Simkin when we need pace as well after being the sub for a couple of games.

IT looks to me that the thinking is that they will play the experienced guys and when they retire or loose form what do we do then.We carnt just go out and by a Key position player.

It very hard to go forward as a club if there is no injection of youth yes i forgot there is kosi as a emergency whould it not have been better to put walsh in he is more mobile stronger and younger.

How will these guys learn if they can play or how does the club know if they can play if they keep playing well for sandy and dont get picked.

The side we have got will not win us a flag we NEED YOUTH IN IT not just for 1/2 games but as a key position player they need to develope and who better to lean from the Rooy.

SO WAKE UP AND THINK FOR THE FUTURE NOT FOR THE NOW.
We have gone backwards with Gardy coming in next week we are slow and perdictable and the coaches wont learn.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Got to give ourselves the best chance of playing finals. Playing our best players gives us the best opportunity. Only a game outside of the 8 can't give up just yet.

Plus we have played more players than any other club outside of the GC.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Experience is called for for this game --IMO
gardi wont necesarily be back next week- (in fact has two weeks as we have the Bye next)
the young guys have had a taste- the mature bodies are available-
Ledger is also an emergency-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: So much for playing the young guys.

I've no problems with us playing our best team whether it includes young or experienced players.

Structurally, though, the lack of a second key forward to help out Riewoldt, is a worry. Thought Walsh or Johnson might have been a chance.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Players such as Gram, Raph, Gamble, Baker are all on notice and can easily go back to the magoos.

Plenty of time for the young kids to get more
game time. They are kids and aren't physically strong enough to play a whole or even half a season against the big boys.

I can see several of them getting dripped back in after the bye.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:I've no problems with us playing our best team whether it includes young or experienced players.

Structurally, though, the lack of a second key forward to help out Riewoldt, is a worry. Thought Walsh or Johnson might have been a chance.
Big Mac will rest up forward when Blake is rucking. I reckon Ross is over the permanent 2 talls (Kosi / Rooey) and is looking for a quicker forward line. Inside 50 tackles have been well down this year.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint58 wrote:Dropping Ledger,Simkin when we need pace as well after being the sub for a couple of games.
Not sure if you said what you were actually meaning to say however I don't see Simpkin improving our pace! Ledger maybe.

St Lenny
Club Player

I thought Armo and Stanley were playing :roll:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:I thought Armo and Stanley were playing :roll:
stanley or steven?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

saint58 wrote:I am very disapointed with our team her we had a chance to play some young key position players,Archer,Johnson,Lynch,Walsh,Stanley and what do we do.

Dropping Ledger,Simkin when we need pace as well after being the sub for a couple of games.

IT looks to me that the thinking is that they will play the experienced guys and when they retire or loose form what do we do then.We carnt just go out and by a Key position player.

It very hard to go forward as a club if there is no injection of youth yes i forgot there is kosi as a emergency whould it not have been better to put walsh in he is more mobile stronger and younger.

How will these guys learn if they can play or how does the club know if they can play if they keep playing well for sandy and dont get picked.

The side we have got will not win us a flag we NEED YOUTH IN IT not just for 1/2 games but as a key position player they need to develope and who better to lean from the Rooy.

We have gone backwards with Gardy coming in next week we are slow and perdictable and the coaches wont learn.
I totally agree and this is the reason why we have gone backwards over the past two years... RL simply will not back the younger players - very poor IMO.
If they bring KOSI in as a late replacement they will lose all credability totally...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
bigcarl wrote:I've no problems with us playing our best team whether it includes young or experienced players.

Big Mac will rest up forward when Blake is rucking. I reckon Ross is over the permanent 2 talls (Kosi / Rooey) and is looking for a quicker forward line. Inside 50 tackles have been well down this year.
So long as we don't see quadruple teaming like this ... AGAIN. (pinched from another thread)
ralphsmith wrote:Image
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 16 Jun 2011 10:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Geelong is a big bodied team and the Saints have gone for experience this week. I have my doubts that Joey will come up - Ledger may get a game. :lol:

I listened to Guy Mc Kenna from the GC Suns on radio yesterday. He was saying how difficult the game is for the young guys and that he needs to rest them regularly - they just can't absorb the battering they get. :!:

This could well be why we have dropped a couple this week against the bigger Geelong bodies - I certainly hope that this is the reason. :roll:

Leo.J
SS Life Member

From our Grand final team last year we've added Armo (22), Steven (21), and Gamble (23)...and Big Mac (21) who only played in week 2.

We're out of form, and we've tweaked the game plan, but imo that team is not too bad if we can find a bit of form.

I still think we can do some damage this year...

Oh and Raph....he's 25
Last edited by Leo.J on Thu 16 Jun 2011 10:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Inside 50 tackles have been well down this year.
Not in recent weeks

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yep, I totally agree with the story that the photos are telling. Our game plan needs to take this into consideration. :roll: Other Saints players must be free.

I suggested on another thread the other day, that we "cover" Scarlett with a defensive forward and suggested Gilbert for the role. Scarlett is their key driver into attack.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Inside 50 tackles have been well down this year.
Not in recent weeks
That backs up the point I was making with Ross trying something different with out forward structure (and it working).

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It's okay if some supporters want to give away this year and focus on a renewed attack on the flag in 2012 - or 2016 depending on your view.

But you can't realistically expect Ross or his players to do the same. They still believe the season is alive and will do their utmost to win each game on a week to week basis.

If that means that on some weeks we don't have half a dozen first year players dazzling us with little cameos then so be it.

Most on the list have now had a taste and I fully expect others, eg Tommy Walsh, to play senior football this year, when the time and opponent suits their selection.

Meanwhile we have a game to win!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If we played 2 young guys this week can someone tell how one extra game will help these guys next year. There is still 11 games to go. They will get plenty of chances if they are good enough. One week out will not make one little bit of difference.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

You are absolutley kidding yourself if you think the players are thinking of five years down the track for a rebuild.

Their careers are so short, they wont even be playing by then!

Players cant afford the luxury of such foresight. They have to live in the now and try and win a premiership this year.

We are on the verge of finding some great form. Im not throwing away this year yet.

philtee
Club Player

Seasoned players back in for one reason only - Going for the win.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:Seasoned players back in for one reason only - Going for the win.
How dare they do that and risk our prized draft picks :shock:

PJ
SS Life Member

I am very disapointed with our team her we had a chance to play some young key position players,Archer,Johnson,Lynch,Walsh,Stanley and what do we do.

Go blow it out your a***hole - serious F***wit.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Now now PJ :o

saint58
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Players such as Gram, Raph, Gamble, Baker are all on notice and can easily go back to the magoos.

Plenty of time for the young kids to get more
game time. They are kids and aren't physically strong enough to play a whole or even half a season against the big boys.

I can see several of them getting dripped back in after the bye.

Tell that to will Johnson,Tommy Walsh these guys are big bodys mature.Putting in this team and not looking to the future is putting our development back, and it will take a long time to catch up with out marking targets up forward.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If we played 2 young guys this week can someone tell how one extra game will help these guys next year. There is still 11 games to go. They will get plenty of chances if they are good enough. One week out will not make one little bit of difference.
yes it will plugger. we need to think of the future. Ross is making irish jokes in selection meetings. Should of played Walsh.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.