Blame Breakdown

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Blame Breakdown

IMO our current form can be put down to:

80% mental malaise
10% personnel
10% game plan

with this is in mind and assuming with a horror court case looming our mental state is unlikely to improve anytime soon, we should almost be ready to start planning for 2012. And that means fwd planning on trades/recruiting/injury/drafting/strategy and giving kids game time.

The core group still has what it takes for a real fresh assault in 2012.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 02 May 2011 8:58pm, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Blame Breakdown

Con Gorozidis wrote:IMO our current form can put down to:

80% mental malaise
10% personnel
10% game plan

with this is in mind and assuming with a horror court case looming our mental state is unlikely to improve anytime soon, we should almost be ready to start planning for 2012. And that means fwd planning on trades/recruiting/injury/drafting/strategy and giving kids game time.

Why will the mental state be better next year? I think it has more to do with losing two GF'S than all the Kim Duthie stuff so I dont see why that will change next year. We need to get back to winning this year to even be a slight chance next year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

80% mental malaise
10% personnel
10% game plan

Why will the mental state be better next year? I think it has more to do with losing two GF'S than all the Kim Duthie stuff so I dont see why that will change next year. We need to get back to winning this year to even be a slight chance next year.
well i have a theory that game plans are over-rated. but "believing in gameplan" is really important. there is a certain placebo effect in all the gameplan stuff . it engenders belief and confidence in winning. in fact what really matters is whats always mattered. being good at footy and having more good players than the opposition.

so using this theory then the mental scars from the 3 gfs have caused lack of belief in the game-plan. this can be changed in a years time. the coach just needs a new message. a new gameplan and mission for them to "believe" in. all depends on his talent to pull off the sell job on it and get buy-in to the "new secret game plan mark 2". even if the game plan isnt really much different in substance.

if he pulls that off for next year we could be alive again.

GSG
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

,,,,, I think it has more to do with losing two GF'S than all the Kim Duthie stuff .

Don’t agree with this point. The KD fiasco would have done a lot of harm. It most certainly would have divided the team. At the moment, they do not play as a team. No matter how forgiving or level-headed Nick Riewoldt is, he would have been pretty p… off with Gram. Some would side with Riewoldt, some with Gram. Then the NZ incident didn’t help. All this makes for a division in the team.

History showed time and again, that a divided team does not play well.

But I agree, another GF loss would add to the misery. All the above on top of two GF losses, is a prefect recipe for disaster and will need a mammoth effort from the entire team to lift themselves off the bottom

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

,,,,, I think it has more to do with losing two GF'S than all the Kim Duthie stuff .

Don’t agree with this point. The KD fiasco would have done a lot of harm. It most certainly would have divided the team. At the moment, they do not play as a team. No matter how forgiving or level-headed Nick Riewoldt is, he would have been pretty p… off with Gram. Some would side with Riewoldt, some with Gram. Then the NZ incident didn’t help. All this makes for a division in the team.

But I agree, another GF loss would add to the misery. All the above on top of two GF losses, is a prefect recipe for disaster and will need a mammoth effort from the entire team to lift themselves off the bottom
What did Gram do?

talk about over stating something. These guys aren't retarded; the're grown men who are supposed to be elite athletes who can put up with a bit of adversity for god sake.

The off field stuff for sure hasn't helped (jeez, you are really underestimating human resiliance) but you are way overstating it as well as the improvement in other teams at executing their game plans. Even the filth have improved by at least 15%. We have gone backwards by 15%.

By overstating the KD stuff etc, you might also be implying that if the offield stuff improves (which I think it has), that this will fix everything up and that we will start winning again. F---k the off field stuff, that's for NEW IDEA. We have major on field issues.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
GSG wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What did Gram do?

talk about over stating something. These guys aren't retarded; the're grown men who are supposed to be elite athletes who can put up with a bit of adversity for god sake.

The off field stuff for sure hasn't helped (jeez, you are really underestimating human resiliance) but you are way overstating it as well as the improvement in other teams at executing their game plans. Even the filth have improved by at least 15%. We have gone backwards by 15%.

By overstating the KD stuff etc, you might also be implying that if the offield stuff improves (which I think it has), that this will fix everything up and that we will start winning again. F---k the off field stuff, that's for NEW IDEA. We have major on field issues.
I think I'll go with Boomer Harvey (Nth Capt) who argued strongly that the off field stuff would definately have a negative impact when discussing on Game Day. And yeah What is hapening between Riewoldt & Gram. I though there would be friction between Riewoldt & Gilbert, but whats Gram done? !! !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

80% mental malaise
10% personnel
10% game plan

well i have a theory that game plans are over-rated. but "believing in gameplan" is really important. there is a certain placebo effect in all the gameplan stuff . it engenders belief and confidence in winning. in fact what really matters is whats always mattered. being good at footy and having more good players than the opposition.

so using this theory then the mental scars from the 3 gfs have caused lack of belief in the game-plan. this can be changed in a years time. the coach just needs a new message. a new gameplan and mission for them to "believe" in. all depends on his talent to pull off the sell job on it and get buy-in to the "new secret game plan mark 2". even if the game plan isnt really much different in substance.

Thats probably the most unintelligent post I have read on this forum.

The better team wins. Not the team with the best players. Game plans are fundamental in any team sport. Especially one that requires 18/22 players to play together.

GSG
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
GSG wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What did Gram do?

I think I'll go with Boomer Harvey (Nth Capt) who argued strongly that the off field stuff would definately have a negative impact when discussing on Game Day. And yeah What is hapening between Riewoldt & Gram. I though there would be friction between Riewoldt & Gilbert, but whats Gram done? !! !!

Sorry my mistake - not Gram!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

80% mental malaise
10% personnel
10% game plan

The better team wins. Not the team with the best players. Game plans are fundamental in any team sport. Especially one that requires 18/22 players to play together.
certainly in NFL game plan counts.

So what ur telling me is that voss is losing games cos his game plan is no good ?

u seriously telling me that him and his support staff and coaches seriously cant figure out what say the pies game plan is because it is that complex?
games plans are one thing. if u cant execute they are a real waste of time. most afl teams have very similar game plans right now. they are easy to copy and the intellectual property is extremely mobile/transferrable. intelligence between clubs is free flowing.

i can certainly see that you have "buy-in" to the game plan thing. thats good. so the sell job has worked on you. all we need now is to sell it to our 36 blokes.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

80% mental malaise
10% personnel
10% game plan

certainly in NFL game plan counts.

So what ur telling me is that voss is losing games cos his game plan is no good ?

u seriously telling me that him and his support staff and coaches seriously cant figure out what say the pies game plan is because it is that complex?
games plans are one thing. if u cant execute they are a real waste of time. most afl teams have very similar game plans right now. they are easy to copy and the intellectual property is extremely mobile/transferrable. intelligence between clubs is free flowing.

i can certainly see that you have "buy-in" to the game plan thing. thats good. so the sell job has worked on you. all we need now is to sell it to our 36 blokes.
Belief. It's a big sell. We haven't got it. The Pies have got it in spades.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

and faith in your team mates to win the contest.

if u have confidence ur teammates will win the contest you start runnign fwd early. then if ur team wins that contested ball 9 times out of 10 - and u already have guys on the run calling for the next one - AND - they can deliver it to you - by crikey you look good. thats where the pies are right now.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Ok so we've got belief and confidence. Two attributes that sit under the heading of attitude. Ours is bad. I'm eagerly awaiting 2012 to see if things changes. In the mean time I look forward to our next four quarter effort, even two or three will do also.

St Lenny
Club Player

In my opinion Gram has not been the same player since the Andrew Lovett night at his home. Court case looming, not good.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:In my opinion Gram has not been the same player since the Andrew Lovett night at his home. Court case looming, not good.
yep. we certainly arent out of our mess yet. still have the court case dark cloud lurking over us.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Excuse the ignorance, but what court case ??

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Excuse the ignorance, but what court case ??
The Lovett case I presume.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks Doc, forgot about that mess.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Now that you think about it, Gram was our best player in the 2009 Grand Final. Then involved in the Lovett affair, still is as he is yet to give evidence at the trial. Now he may have been off his gave ever since. Can anyone remember Grammy playing a good game since the 2009 GF?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Now that you think about it, Gram was our best player in the 2009 Grand Final. Then involved in the Lovett affair, still is as he is yet to give evidence at the trial. Now he may have been off his gave ever since. Can anyone remember Grammy playing a good game since the 2009 GF? Maybe that was the start of the rot setting in.