Pokie Licences

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Pokie Licences

The results of the AFL's audit of clubs is in todays Aged.

Amongst other things, it notes that the club has purchased 83 pokie licences for future income.

Is this in excess of the pokies they have at Moorabbin?

My recollection is that we have some 70+ pokies at Moorabbin and that the increase is only single digit figures.

Anybody know?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

yeah...but why would i share with you.... :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

sure you do

stinger
Saintsational Legend

:wink: ...not hard to find out....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pokie Licences

GrumpyOne wrote:Amongst other things, it notes that the club has purchased 83 pokie licences for future income.
pretty s*** way to make money. no idea how or why afl clubs got sucked into this particular business.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

it makes money i guess...and lots of it

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Amongst other things, it notes that the club has purchased 83 pokie licences for future income.
pretty s*** way to make money. no idea how or why afl clubs got sucked into this particular business.
Why is that? It is legal, 95% of people who use then do it for fun, and if we dont do it some other club or pub does it anyway because all licenses are given out whether we take them or not.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We have 83 thieving machines at Linton Street. No change.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

stinger wrote:yeah...but why would i share with you.... :roll: :roll:
I thought you didn't know jackshit.

But I was wrong.

You do.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

83 is nothing to the Blues 330 plus

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/i ... 5901886672
taking them of Richmond and Bulldogs.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/carlt ... 1b73t.html

and How many do the Pies operate

I wonder if the AFL will ever cap this form of funding...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:83 is nothing to the Blues 330 plus

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/i ... 5901886672
taking them of Richmond and Bulldogs.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/carlt ... 1b73t.html

and How many do the Pies operate

I wonder if the AFL will ever cap this form of funding...
Why would they? Anyway every club or pub could have purchased as many as they wanted. We are happy with our small amount even though I think we should have tried to bid for more.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Why is that? It is legal, 95% of people who use then do it for fun, and if we dont do it some other club or pub does it anyway because all licenses are given out whether we take them or not.
because poker machines at the club will be played disproportionately more by supporters of the club. if they activate just one latent gambling addiction in a supporter, or cause just one supporter to lose more money than they can afford, then the club is profiting from the misery of its supporters.

to me, that doesn't sound like the right way for the club to gain revenue.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
because poker machines at the club will be played disproportionately more by supporters of the club. if they activate just one latent gambling addiction in a supporter, or cause just one supporter to lose more money than they can afford, then the club is profiting from the misery of its supporters.

Well we agree to disagree. If people are problem gamblers they will just fing another venue to bet at. Should we not have them because the majority of people dont havean issue with them. We have a drinking licence as well. I dont understand the issue and if we did what the pies did and brought a couple of pubs I think no one would care.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Well we agree to disagree. If people are problem gamblers they will just fing another venue to bet at. Should we not have them because the majority of people dont havean issue with them. We have a drinking licence as well. I dont understand the issue and if we did what the pies did and brought a couple of pubs I think no one would care.
Seriously, how many people play the pokies at Linton Street simply because they're saints supporters?

It more likely caters to people who would play them anyway and simply find the location convenient. Get rid of them and those people just go somewhere else. And then some individual, or individuals, who are just in it for the profits makes all the money.

Should we also insist that Etihad cease serving alcohol and close down its TAB outlet lest our supporters get lead astray :roll:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:It more likely caters to people who would play them anyway and simply find the location convenient. Get rid of them and those people just go somewhere else. And then some individual, or individuals, who are just in it for the profits makes all the money.
the club is just in it for the profits. everyone is just in it for the profits. no-one runs pokies because they just love the dubious atmosphere of a pokies venue - they run them because they can make money.

surely it's beyond question that more saints supporters play the pokies at the social club than at another venue. yeah, i'm sure there are plenty of people who simply find it convenient, but the fact that the funds are going to the club gives people an extra reason to lose a little more. and i'm sure there are people who only play because there's a saints-related social aspect to it.

we should have many ways for supporters to channel their money into the club, if that's what they want to do. but these methods shouldn't damage them. alcohol, yeah, whatever, that particular pandora's box is already well and truly open. but poker machines are significantly less available than alcohol. they're just beyond my personal comfort threshold.

St Lenny
Club Player

Cantt see a problem with us having pokies. I dont like them myself, but that doesnt mean other cant play them. I believe there is a limit to how many we can have because of Kingston Council? But they might be replacement machines, dosent necessarily mean there is more machines.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Obesity is a massive problem in society, in particular childhood obesity.

No one has issues with McDonalds, Coca-cola, KFC and the rest being major sponsors.

I'm not an advocate for the pokies, however everyone who plays them or gambles are adults.

There is more than enough help and information available for everyone to make informed decisions.

People need to take responsibilty for their actions...

Richter
SS Life Member

Leo.J wrote:Obesity is a massive problem in society, in particular childhood obesity.

No one has issues with McDonalds, Coca-cola, KFC and the rest being major sponsors.

I'm not an advocate for the pokies, however everyone who plays them or gambles are adults.

There is more than enough help and information available for everyone to make informed decisions.

People need to take responsibilty for their actions...
Eh? Check this article out....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 383577.htm
AMA backs fast food-sport sponsor ban calls

Posted Mon Oct 6, 2008 11:36pm AEDT
Updated Mon Oct 6, 2008 11:35pm AEDT

The Australian Medical Association (AMA) wants governments to end sponsorship deals between high profile sports events and fast food companies.

An academic letter published in the Australian Medical Journal calls Cricket Australia "irresponsible" for its sponsorship deal with KFC.

Cricket Australia said earlier it encourages people to eat KFC's product as part of a balanced diet, but critics have called that a "cop-out".
I find it very difficult to reconcile the two sides of the gambling argument. I am by nature a believer in freedom. Whilst I don't play the pokies I do enjoy a bet from time to time... but a gambling addiction is a terrible thing. 10 to 20 times the risk of suicide in gambling addicts - and it decimates families too because of the financial toil.

Seems to me that gambling and fast food should be viewed similarly to alcohol and smoking - ie should be banned from sports sponsorships - basically because of the exposure it gives these unhealthy pleasures to kids....

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Some of the booze supporters think by the utilisation of gaming machines, this will go a long way to getting them out of debt.

What they fail to realise is there are a lot of expenses to come out of that GP from their revenue i.e. costs to operate same, licences, TAXES et al.

6.9 mill is a big debt.....wonder if Jeannie will come to the rescue.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:Some of the booze supporters think by the utilisation of gaming machines, this will go a long way to getting them out of debt.

What they fail to realise is there are a lot of expenses to come out of that GP from their revenue i.e. costs to operate same, licences, TAXES et al.

I dont think you should worry about the Blues. I have an idea go over to their forum and post it. I for one have no interest in what some stupid pies supporter thinks.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:Some of the booze supporters think by the utilisation of gaming machines, this will go a long way to getting them out of debt.

I dont think you should worry about the Blues. I have an idea go over to their forum and post it. I for one have no interest in what some stupid pies supporter thinks.
True....though stinger would listen to me. :shock:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Have any of you ever been into the Saints Social Club at Linton Street?

There's nothing social about it whatsoever. It's full of elderly locals disposing of what meagre funds they have. No winners, just losers.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Have any of you ever been into the Saints Social Club at Linton Street?

There's nothing social about it whatsoever. It's full of elderly locals disposing of what meagre funds they have. No winners, just losers.
As opposed to the South Oakleigh club or the Bentleigh Club or any RSL in Victoria with pokies.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Have any of you ever been into the Saints Social Club at Linton Street?

As opposed to the South Oakleigh club or the Bentleigh Club or any RSL in Victoria with pokies.
I'm not a member of any of those clubs, so don't care about them per se.
I do care about St Kilda Football Club however.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'm not a member of any of those clubs, so don't care about them per se.
I do care about St Kilda Football Club however.
Well maybe they should have a vote on whether we have the pokies. I dont think we can get rid of them just because you dont like them.