Eddy Gone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sax
Club Player

Eddy Gone?

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

just weirds me out. so lyon had faith in eddy for 2 gf's and 2 seasons despite him barely touching the ball and now suddenly loses faith?

sometimes i wonder.... i really do . how he played in 2 gfs ahead of armo ill never know.
Eddy, Andrew McQualter, Sean Dempster and Michael Gardiner - who was injured in the grand final draw and missed the replay - are still to re-sign. Former rookie Luke Miles is also yet to re-sign

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:just weirds me out. so lyon had faith in eddy for 2 gf's and 2 seasons despite him barely touching the ball and now suddenly loses faith?

sometimes i wonder.... i really do . how he played in 2 gfs ahead of armo ill never know.
Eddy, Andrew McQualter, Sean Dempster and Michael Gardiner - who was injured in the grand final draw and missed the replay - are still to re-sign. Former rookie Luke Miles is also yet to re-sign
wasnt armo inured late season which interrupted his match fitness/continuity?

I wouldnt negotiate too hard with Mqualter either just quietly....

“Yeah….nah””
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:just weirds me out. so lyon had faith in eddy for 2 gf's and 2 seasons despite him barely touching the ball and now suddenly loses faith?

3 tackles and 5 possessions a game is worth about $150 a game x 22 = $330 a year

Another opportunity awaits!
St Lenny
Club Player

Well that just pisses me right off :evil:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Very surprised if true.

Must have some people in mind to pick up surely?

I don't like this time of year much :(

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Yes he reinjured his knee late in the season, it was still heavily strapped when he returned for the Adelaide game...

I was pushing for Armo to perhaps play as defensive forward in place of Eddy in the replay due to his injury in the first, perhaps Armo simply lacked match fitness or isn't capable yet of being anything other than an inside mid?

Batnoe
Club Player

So Cahill has a contract? Or do they mean players that played in gf?
Can see Cahill getting chop and maybe rookied

Carn Saints
jays
Club Player

thought he would go has no skill

Bardon Saint
Club Player

IMO, Eddy is a hardworking player he does the team thing. However I would replace him with someone who could do that but then also offer the occasional bit of X. - A bit of dash, creativity, a clutch goal, etc.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I'd be sad to see him go because no one tries harder.

However the question is how many stoppers we can afford to play at the expense of guys who can get the ball and do something with it.

If Eddy had that string to his bow he'd be on a lot firmer ground IMO.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bardon Saint wrote:IMO, Eddy is a hardworking player he does the team thing. However I would replace him with someone who could do that but then also offer the occasional bit of X. - A bit of dash, creativity, a clutch goal, etc.
Well if this ends up being true then you can only reason that we will in fact see a fair modification to our game style next year.

I suspect the game plan will get a bit more than a "tinker" or a "tweak".

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bardon Saint wrote:IMO, Eddy is a hardworking player he does the team thing. However I would replace him with someone who could do that but then also offer the occasional bit of X. - A bit of dash, creativity, a clutch goal, etc.
Well if this ends up being true then you can only reason that we will in fact see a fair modification to our game style next year.

I suspect the game plan will get a bit more than a "tinker" or a "tweak".
I'm not so sure. I think that the likes of eddy, mini and a couple of others do not have the ability to offer anything more than their team role. Learning to be a good defensive forward would take a great deal of discipline to adhere to a role. The ability to be creative, add flair, kick a goal, burst through a pack etc, is something that a player either has or doesn't. Much harder to learn, it comes from within.
If they were replaced with players who can do the same job but offer a little bit of offensive pressure/more upside than I would go for this.
Therefore, same game plan, with more upside because there are players on the park who can create some defence directly but also indirectly (goals etc). Meh, just some thoughts.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

EDDY has more to offer than others on the list !

EDDY has more to offer than others on the list ! Maybe he is asking more than the SAINTS can afford to pay.

To be honest I would off load Mcqualter in a heart beat. If RL is not going to play him in the back pocket he has no benefit to the side - simply a list clogger. What about CARR & MILES we cant hold players on potential alone.

Playing McQualter and Eddy as stopping forwards with zero goal kicking potential is what cost us GF. Imagine if we had of played Stevens & Armitage and got 3-4 goals from them.

IMO Eddy would develop into a very good run with player or even HBF if given the opportunity. But obviously the club thinks they have those positions covered.
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Wed 10 Nov 2010 9:48am, edited 2 times in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: EDDY has more to offer than others on the list !

WinnersOnly wrote:Playing McQualter and Eddy as stopping forwards with zero goal kicking potential is what cost us GF.
Yeah - the 17-5 at the clearances had nothing to do with it.

Blame the fringe players all you like. It was our guns that cost us a flag.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintlee
Club Player

I thought Eddy played quite well in a couple of games earlier in the year, but seem to fall away again late in the season. Was basically useless in the GFs. No great loss if he goes, but you can't deny that he tries his best.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Playing McQualter and Eddy as stopping forwards with zero goal kicking potential is what cost us GF.

Guns or Fringies it doesn't matter.

It takes a team effort to win and a team effort to lose.
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Wed 10 Nov 2010 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:

17 - 5 which final are you referring to?

Exactly what I have indicated in other threads. Obviously we need more midfield strength and I am really concerned as to whether McEvoy will progress to the Ruckman poeple seem to think he will.

For me he has no spring or leap whatsoever and will struggle to become a solid or dominant ruckman.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Moccha wrote: 3 tackles and 5 possessions a game is worth about $150 a game x 22 = $330 a year
Interesting maths.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:EDDY has more to offer than others on the list ! Maybe he is asking more than the SAINTS can afford to pay.

To be honest I would off load Mcqualter in a heart beat. If RL is not going to play him in the back pocket he has no benefit to the side - simply a list clogger. What about CARR & MILES we cant hold players on potential alone.

Playing McQualter and Eddy as stopping forwards with zero goal kicking potential is what cost us GF. Imagine if we had of played Stevens & Armitage and got 3-4 goals from them.

IMO Eddy would develop into a very good run with player or even HBF if given the opportunity. But obviously the club thinks they have those positions covered.
The article didn't even say he was in contract negotiations WO, maybe he just isn't in their plans.

I'd be even more surprised if Mini goes, it would be tough to be regarded highly enough to be made part of the leadership group, and then be delisted at years end.

spert
Saintsational Legend

We lost the GF as we didn't play a good enough team game, went too defensive too early, and the forwards we had, got beaten easily. Whether Eddy fits the plan or not, he is definately not a natural forward, though probably was selected due to injuries to the likes of Armo and Steven who would seem to me, to be better suited in the forward half.

Saints43
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I'd be even more surprised if Mini goes, it would be tough to be regarded highly enough to be made part of the leadership group, and then be delisted at years end.
I don't know whether Mini will go or stay but his elevation to the leadership group would have been on the back of a much improved 2009 from previous seasons and (I suspect) a pick up in attitude from that that had seen him delisted in the past. I think he might have been the poster boy for players turning their careers around.

As it turns out 2009 was the anomoly season. It's a pity it wasn't recognised far earlier last year and left until there was very little option to replace him. IMO.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I'd be even more surprised if Mini goes, it would be tough to be regarded highly enough to be made part of the leadership group, and then be delisted at years end.
I don't know whether Mini will go or stay but his elevation to the leadership group would have been on the back of a much improved 2009 from previous seasons and (I suspect) a pick up in attitude from that that had seen him delisted in the past. I think he might have been the poster boy for players turning their careers around.

As it turns out 2009 was the anomoly season. It's a pity it wasn't recognised far earlier last year and left until there was very little option to replace him. IMO.
I never quite got the 1 game at Sandy bit.

Finally gets dropped, plays for Sandy and doesn't do much, then straight back in :?

That was the chance then and there to do something; either find a replacement or give Mini a chance to find form - but we never did neither.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:

Yes his 2009 season was a remarkable turnaround, and you are probably right that he was elevated to the leadership group for those reasons.

I'd say he will be retained (but what do I know) but the fact it took to the cut off day may give him another kick up the bum?

I excused him initially after hearing he had a groin operation and missed this years preseason, but the lack of confidence seemed linger well and truly into the year.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Good to see all the keyboard heros are out again!!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."