Michael Gardiner 's Future is still Unknown...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Will be interesting if he doesn't go on ?

It will be interesting to see what the SAINTS do if GARDINER he doesn't go on ?

We haven't got huge depth in that area. Do they consider Stanley a ruckman or forward ?

On past examples they will recruit an older delisted ruckman eg Giles or the ex Hawtohorn bloke. I would rather see them back our blokes McEvoy, Kosi & Stanley and take a kid to develop in the draft.

Time will tell !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
ThePunter
Club Player

I think they'll probably do both if Gardiner retires, and just take a youngster if he goes on.

Considering King, Pattison & McGrath are gone, there is definitely a spot on the list for another ruckman. If Gardiner goes, there is probably two.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

The article summed it up well. Popular player within the club, and has been important to us over the last few years.

Not sure Jolly would have had it that easy in the G.F replay with Big Gardi crashing into him all day.

I hope the big fella goes on for one more year, just for Big Boy McEvoy and Stanley to mature and grow a bit more.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

In terms of flag chance next year...we need Gardi.

Ben may still be several years off his best....

Kosi is not up to being a No 1 ruck..

And Stanley is years away from No 1 duties as well)though can play asa forward now).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:In terms of flag chance next year...we need Gardi.

And Stanley is years away from No 1 duties as well)though can play asa forward now).

I'd love to know what MG has ever done in a GF. People have a go at Rooy but MG grand final record is nothing short of pathetic. Dont reckon we will miss him to much at all if he doesnt go on. A bit overated in my eyes.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 28 Oct 2010 3:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

in ross we trust

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Gardiner for another year, but only if he is 100% committed and his body can absolutely handle it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think people fail to look at the partnership Gardiner and Lenny share, you may not rate MG that highly P66, but he and Hayes share an awesome synergy out there.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I'd love to know what MG has ever done in a GF. People have a go at Rooy but MG grand final record is nothing short of pathetic. Dont reckon we will miss him to much at all if he doesnt go on. A bit overated in my eyes.
It may be semantics p66 but I would prefer to think of MG's grand final record as unimpressive to date, rather than as pathetic.

From all reports he carried an injury into the 2005 GF. He was average in 2009 and then injured early in 2010.

So yes he's failed to produce thus far but I for one would not be prepared to stamp his papers with "GF failure" just yet. He could well have gone on to play a big part in this years GF if the hammy hadn't twanged. But that's something we'll never know.

Of course whether he gets a chance to redeem himself remains to be seen.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

The thing about winning a GF...is you have to get there first.

Gardi can help us to win enough games to get Top 4. After that we are in with a chance.

Maybe by seasons end next Ben will have improved enough to play as the No 1. But right now Ben is not good enough.

So knock Gardi if you will, but IMO he is still the best ruckman on our list.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The thing about winning a GF...is you have to get there first.

Gardi can help us to win enough games to get Top 4. After that we are in with a chance.

Maybe by seasons end next Ben will have improved enough to play as the No 1. But right now Ben is not good enough.

So knock Gardi if you will, but IMO he is still the best ruckman on our list.
So if Gardi and Roo play well to get us to the Grand Final do we play them in it or, based on past performances, do we drop them for the Granny...

interesting

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: So if Gardi and Roo play well to get us to the Grand Final do we play them in it or, based on past performances, do we drop them for the Granny...

interesting
And this is how urban myths get created/perpetuated. :roll:

Is there anybody out there in football land that seriously thinks Roo shouldn't be selected in a St Kilda team to play in a GF?

wolfpup
Club Player

well he sold his apartment in port melbourne recently, not sure if that means anything though

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

wolfpup wrote:well he sold his apartment in port melbourne recently, not sure if that means anything though
That might be to finance his Seaford Heights condo :wink:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

MG is our best ruckman by the length of the flemington striaght.

I rate ruckmen in terms of 75% Hit Outs 15% Around the ground 10% Forward.

Effectiveness in the ruck is by far the most important position on the ground IMO. And everyone on our list isnt up to standard in this facet yet.

Plus Gardiner played as a forward for WCE in 05.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

That is so shortsighted its unbelievable, the question is, if MG had not played in the last two years would we have even been in a position to contest the GF? The resounding answer is absolutely NO. MG is a major reason that we have been so damn good over the past two seasons

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That is so shortsighted its unbelievable, the question is, if MG had not played in the last two years would we have even been in a position to contest the GF? The resounding answer is absolutely NO. MG is a major reason that we have been so damn good over the past two seasons
Well said...the Saints players walk alot taller with Gardi out there and I can't think of the last time we were beaten and MG was smashed in the ruck, rarely happened.

Interesting situation though, we may well recruit a mature ruchman if he retires. If that's the case hopefully Blake McGrath gets re-rookied, afterall we've already invested a couple of years in him.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda expects to know this week whether ruckman Michael Gardiner, 31, will play on next year. The Saints are keen for him to accept a one-year offer, but Gardiner must determine whether his troublesome knee, which has restricted his jumping, can cope with the demands of another season.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/roos ... 178an.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
St Kilda expects to know this week whether ruckman Michael Gardiner, 31, will play on next year. The Saints are keen for him to accept a one-year offer, but Gardiner must determine whether his troublesome knee, which has restricted his jumping, can cope with the demands of another season.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/roos ... 178an.html
that's fine but who is Jon Pierik, seriously, who is he?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

We really, really, really need him. Despite this super-sub nonsense that is probably going to be a taller player, we need first possession.

I guess it goes without saying though.

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

we need him he's an awesome individual and a brilliant ruckman but who the fu*k is jon pierik?

all i hear is jon pierik this and jon pierik that! who the ruddy hell is he? has anyone ever heard him speak?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:we need him he's an awesome individual and a brilliant ruckman but who the fu*k is jon pierik?

all i hear is jon pierik this and jon pierik that! who the ruddy hell is he? has anyone ever heard him speak?
Just some low to mid range journo from The Age who is waiting in the wings for Caro or Rohan Connally to fall (or be pushed) off their perch !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:we need him he's an awesome individual and a brilliant ruckman but who the fu*k is jon pierik?

Just some low to mid range journo from The Age who is waiting in the wings for Caro or Rohan Connally to fall (or be pushed) off their perch !!
lol good luck to jon the ethnic!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:We really, really, really need him. Despite this super-sub nonsense that is probably going to be a taller player, we need first possession.

I guess it goes without saying though.
So you're back huh...

I agree, MG gives our mids that more often than not.