The "At least it wasn't close" myth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jewellzy
Club Player

The "At least it wasn't close" myth

I have been told by numerous neutral fans this week that, "At least it wasn't close"

I used to be of that theory, but I think I've changed my tune. I mean, honestly, how bad was it sitting there watching the 3rd and/or 4th quarters on Saturday? From the 2 minute mark of the 3rd quarter to the 20th minute, I didn't utter one word. I didn't cheer, didn't smile, didn't really move a muscle except to clap the first goal (our second overall) for the quarter.

I walked out of the ground just before 3/4 time and went and laid on a fold out table outside the ground, stared up at the sky and chain-smoked about 4 cigarettes in a row. I eventually left about 5 minutes into the last quarter (please don't turn this post into one of THOSE threads) and headed to Holliava to drown my sorrows.

The sombre walk was one of the worst moments of my life. The realisation that we'd blown another chance and we'd be lucky to get another again in the next few years. Also, having had nothing to really cheer about at all during the game was fairly upsetting. The most noise I made was having a go at Filth supporters when Cloke's freekick was reversed or when Wellingham put one out on the full. Not once did I get to scream out in absolute, unbridled joy. Compared to last week with Gilbert's goal, Lenny's goal, Milne's mark, Goddard's mark and of course Goddard's goal.

Even last year there were times when I was screaming my lungs out. Caught up in the raw emotion of a close grand final. I even watched the Cats get all their premiership medals before I left. Leaving the ground shattered, but knowing that we were so close and that we'd be right in the thick of it the next year.

Leaving the ground Saturday, I felt none of these things. We were outclassed, outplayed and outmatched against a team that, in my opinion, hadn't gone through the hardships that one should have to, to earn the right to a premiership. The fact that it was 56 points the margin - made it worse. Not better.
Last edited by Jewellzy on Tue 05 Oct 2010 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

But it was close?

We literally lost the first grand final by 1 point. 1 more and it was ours. They seem to have forgotten that already.

They walk amongst us...

Jewellzy
Club Player

I guess that only adds to the pain. But I think I'd rather have lost by less than a kick this week after last week's draw. If only to be able to have something to fall back on when I'm getting chastised by Filth supporters. It's pretty hard to argue anything when you lose by 56 points. Even with a draw the week before.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

The loss was worse due to the scoreline but, personally, if we're going to lose a GF I'd prefer it to be over by 3/4 time.

IMO the heartbreak and shock of losing last year's GF in the dying stages hurt more than this year because it came out of nowhere whereas this time I had time to come to terms with what was going to happen early on in the piece which helps me.

When my own sense of hope is destroyed on my own terms rather than having it cruelly shattered by the sound of the siren, it's easier for me to bare.

It was almost a pleasure compared to 2009. :lol:

Sainterman
Club Player

Not a great day for anyone mate. Difficult times on a day like that!

Btw, I think I saw you lying flat on your back on that table at 3 qtr time, if it was outside Gate 5 down the bottom of the little hill and you were wearing a Saints jumper, i'd say that was you! You made quite the site smoking that ciggie and looking pretty devastated!

The other thing I saw outside the ground about a minutes after that was a father and son, both fully decked out in Saints gear and both sad and on their way home at 3 qtr time. The 6 year old looked up at his old man and said hopefully "maybe next year dad?" to which his father replied "maybe when you are 80 or 90 while I watch from up there" and pointed to the sky. Kind of summed up how I felt at the time. Thought it was a bit of tough love, but maybe that's what us Sainters need to get through!

Jewellzy
Club Player

Yeah that would've been me. Not one of my finest moments. Pure devestation.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I was out of that friggin ground 10 minutes into the last term.

Did any Saints fans stay until the end, apart from the Cheersquad, that have to??

Bloody stupid Replays, if we had extra time in the first Granny, at least it would've been done and dusted fairly and a week earlier.

We played our Grand Final in September, not friggin October.

Thanks Dimwit, nice rules you have......

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I was out of that friggin ground 10 minutes into the last term.

Did any Saints fans stay until the end, apart from the Cheersquad, that have to??

Bloody stupid Replays, if we had extra time in the first Granny, at least it would've been done and dusted fairly and a week earlier.

You obviously havent been here for a while or you wouldnt ask that question. By the way do you blame AD when you get diarrhea?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:I was out of that friggin ground 10 minutes into the last term.

You obviously havent been here for a while or you wouldnt ask that question. By the way do you blame AD when you get diarrhea?
whys that Einstein, fill me in with what I've missed?

Yes, we made some good $$$ out of the replay, but what else?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

whys that Einstein, fill me in with what I've missed?

Yes, we made some good $$$ out of the replay, but what else?
There is about an 8 page thread on people having a go at other people who left early. I actually wouldnt give a stuff when anyone left. As for the replay I didnt want it but i dont think it is changing soon whether AD is in charge or not. It would have to be a commission decision.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

My take on this is that once it became apparent we couldn’t win I was just glad it wasn’t close.

Part of that was due to the frustration a close loss causes, e.g. if only .......

But the other reason is that if we’d come close, especially after a draw the week before, then it’s likely minimal changes to our personnel and game plan would have occurred for next season.

While it’s still likely we won’t see anything too radical we already have Ross talking up playing the kids. And I have no doubt we’ll be looking to score more heavily than in 2009/2010.

Make no mistake, my first option would have been to win the GF even if that meant problems were wallpapered over and the team slipped next year. I just want the Saints to win one of them flags; can’t afford to worry about dynasties.

But accepting that we weren’t good enough this year, I’m comfortable that we were given a bloody big wake up call courtesy of the final margin.

Ross surprised everyone in 2009 after we looked to be a long way off the likes of Geelong and Hawthorn in the previous year’s final series. And I have full confidence that he will come up with a renewed and exciting brand of Saints Footy in 2011.