miller???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

peter lockwood
Club Player

miller???

A quick question would we consider Brad Miller next year.He is 27 i know but can take a contested grab and kick a goal.could be the 3rd tall forward we,ve been missing since Hamill.
I want kids the same as most on here but u know that we,ll get at least 1 or 2 recycle and he,ll be cheap.We need speed in midfield and another marking forward.if not Miller who do you think we will chase?

FQF
SS Life Member

If none of Lynch Heyne or Walsh make third tall forward next year then they should not be on the list any longer.

Maybe cut Walsh a little bit more slack, but for the other two, its 2011 or never.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:If none of Lynch Heyne or Walsh make third tall forward next year then they should not be on the list any longer.

Maybe cut Walsh a little bit more slack, but for the other two, its 2011 or never.
Pretty harsh on Lynch and Heyne, they are 19 and 20 respectively.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Miller would be excellent for us. They also cut Bell as well as could provide options in the midfield.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Miller would be excellent for us. They also cut Bell as well as could provide options in the midfield.
Miller is a bully in VFL that is devoid of quality defenders but nowadays a plodder on the next rung up with a poor work ethic (they say).

Whilst I'm all for the odd calculated risk, I think we're better off making something of Heyne, Stanley and Lynch rather than patching up an already fairly full forward set up.

I'm not averse to the pursuit of Bate, though.
Last edited by Thinline on Mon 23 Aug 2010 8:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
FQF
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:
FQF wrote:If none of Lynch Heyne or Walsh make third tall forward next year then they should not be on the list any longer.

Pretty harsh on Lynch and Heyne, they are 19 and 20 respectively.
Lynch is a first round draft pick, who will be in his third year at the club, with one game to his name.

I don't think it's overly harsh to think that if he doesn't make it in his third year, a fourth year is a stretch.

You don't hang onto them just because of the number they were picked at.

In case you were wondering, I really want the guy to succeed, and I see alot of potential in him. I reckon he will become a regular (or at least a similar number of games to Eddy and Geary) in 2011.

Walsh is the wild card in the forward line.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Miller would be excellent for us. They also cut Bell as well as could provide options in the midfield.
Miller is a bully in VFL that is devoid of quality defenders but nowadays a plodder on the next rung up with a poor work ethic (they say).

Whilst I'm all for the odd calculated risk, I think we're better off making something of Heyne, Stanley and Lynch rather than patching up an already fairly full forward set up.

But he will cost nothing.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

But he will cost nothing.
True enough.

I'm just not convinced blokes with bad attitudes will be on the radar this time around.

Once bitten...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
midas_touch
Club Player

I'd recruit Brad Miller only for his hot wife.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:I'd recruit Brad Miller only for his hot wife.
Actually, maybe Plugger WAS onto something...

FQF
SS Life Member

What's the chances of Archer having any sort of impact next year?

I've hardly seen him play... anyone?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:What's the chances of Archer having any sort of impact next year?

would need a big pre-season but has great hands and good size to bust packs. If they delist cahill then archer might stay on.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
FQF
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:

would need a big pre-season but has great hands and good size to bust packs. If they delist cahill then archer might stay on.
Who do you reckon is a better prospect?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Solar wrote:

Can be rude enough to say neither. At the moment they make miller look like Rooy.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
Solar wrote:

Can be rude enough to say neither. At the moment they make miller look like Rooy.
Great. Charlie Gardiner would've been better.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Solar wrote:

both are very raw. But IMO archer has the better hands and is younger. Could stay on the rookie list for at least another year to two. Cahill will be a very good long term VFL player IMO.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Sarcasm again. Didn't see that coming. About as predictable as Ross saying "pleasing". Yawn.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Solar wrote:

I reckon Cahill is a better prospect. Archer may make it, but not next year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

No thanks

We tried Charlie Gardiner, Fergus Watts and while they managed a few games (Watts 1 and Gardiner a few) while servicable they didn't really do the job.

We are better of pumping the games into Heyne, Walsh, Cahill, Stanely or Lynch. Surely between those guys there is someone who can fill the role?

Archer is still young and pretty raw, a few years off, but worth keepin on the rookie list. Very good size for a young fella, but more of a long term prospect, had played mainly reserves for Sandy this year, without showing a great deal.

Carpe Diem
rexy
SS Life Member

The 3rd tall/marking forward must be more mobile and versatile than the likes of Miller, if we wanted a genuine 3rd tall we would be putting regular games into Stanley now, but we are not as it leaves us top heavy with Kosi Roo and 2 genuine rucks. If Gardiner were to retire at the end of the season then we may see Stanley Ben and Kosi rotate through the 3 spots (Ie FF, Ruck and bench). Lynch is my preferred option but only time will tell if he is up to it, on his last effort he could not be considered this close to finals IMO, so 2011 is his year to have some impact.

For what its worth he has only been on the list 2 seasons, bit early to be calling for his head IMO, Nathan Brown, Tyson Goldsack, Cox, Toovey Dick are not montys for the Collingwood side. Like wise Varcoe in the Geelong side.

Bloke by the name of James Gwilt has taken 5 seasons to become a best 22 player.

Maybe this year?
vacuous space
SS Life Member

rexy wrote:For what its worth he has only been on the list 2 seasons, bit early to be calling for his head IMO, Nathan Brown, Tyson Goldsack, Cox, Toovey Dick are not montys for the Collingwood side. Like wise Varcoe in the Geelong side.
Shannon? Didn't he balloon out to whale-like proportions and get cut by Buckley before Mick could even make it to the first training session?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
rexy
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
rexy wrote:For what its worth he has only been on the list 2 seasons, bit early to be calling for his head IMO, Nathan Brown, Tyson Goldsack, Cox, Toovey Dick are not montys for the Collingwood side. Like wise Varcoe in the Geelong side.
Shannon? Didn't he balloon out to whale-like proportions and get cut by Buckley before Mick could even make it to the first training session?
Possibly? Im no Collingwood expert and didnt research my post at all, just went off memory. Think my point is still valid though, throw in Anthony if you would like a replacement name.

Maybe this year?
AlpineStars
Club Player

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Wake me up when September ends.
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Honestly if we want to stay a top team beyond this year we cant afford to "top up" with jabronis and rejects from bottom clubs like Miller.

Might be harsh but mark my words if we must recruit we need to stop going after diamonds in the rough and start targeting diamonds

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
FQF
SS Life Member

Hurricane wrote:Honestly if we want to stay a top team beyond this year we cant afford to "top up" with jabronis and rejects from bottom clubs like Miller.

Might be harsh but mark my words if we must recruit we need to stop going after diamonds in the rough and start targeting diamonds

BANG BANG
I don't think you are right.

As long as your eye for talent is good, going down the 'top up' track can prevent you ever bottoming out.

Take a look at Sydney. They were considered gone last year, core group retiring, time to build a team from the ground up.
Now they are probably the best team outside the top four. With heaps of players out.