Are the pies still no good

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Are the pies still no good

Why do people put themselves into a position where they have no where to go when they say top sides are no good. The Pies are a very good side and anyone who thinks otherwise also must admit we are no good. I refuse to believe that but I do think the Pies can play.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

The Filth have improved - that fact is clear.

Having said that, I still genuinely believe that if both teams bring their best to the football field on the same day - we will win by 3-4 goals.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
maverick
Saintsational Legend

No good for me.
We got beat by Port as well, are they a good side, what about the Bombers?
Are Melbourne a good side because they drew with the Pies?
Don't understand your logic.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The filth may be good, but our best is still better......IMHO.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintnick12
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:The filth may be good, but our best is still better......IMHO.
Definately. We were far from our best today and they were just about at their best today. Look forward to a rematch in september
Last edited by saintnick12 on Sat 17 Jul 2010 9:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:No good for me.
Ã

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Just look at the facts over the long run P66. Our record since the start of 2009 is demonstrably better, especially against top opposition. No emotion there, just the facts. To take today's result and examine it in isolation would be a mistake. Over the long haul, we've been better. They may be half a game ahead of us this year, but we've had their measure in recent times, including in two finals. That's what I base my opinion on. What do you base yours on?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Just look at the facts over the long run P66. Our record since the start of 2009 is demonstrably better, especially against top opposition. No emotion there, just the facts. To take today's result and examine it in isolation would be a mistake. Over the long haul, we've been better. They may be half a game ahead of us this year, but we've had their measure in recent times, including in two finals. That's what I base my opinion on. What do you base yours on?
I am not saying they are better but i also refuse to say they arent. Last season has nothing to do with this year otherwise freo arent in the 8. I hope we are better but I dont understand people who just come out and say we are better especially after the most recent game which was a 8 goal loss.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We were beaten by a very good team that wanted to win much more than we did today.

To be on top after 16 rounds says you are a very good team. Hell, to be top 4 after 16 rounds says you're a very good team.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

As I said, I think the facts over a decent period of time is a good way to measure it. That's why so many think we're better than them. There's always bias in these opinions, but this time the facts seem to support it. Today's loss is now history and points to improvement on their part. But anyone can win on any given day. Does last night's result mean Adelaide is better than Geelong? Of course not. The pussies are still the yardstick because of their RECORD, not just a one off performance. It's consistency over the long haul that counts, especially where ladder placings are concerned. Wouldn't you agree?

GoTheTorp
Club Player

Looking at todays game and the afternath leaves me wondering who of those in the top echelon are we seriously going to be competitive against. I hope in 2 weeks we have roo firing on 12 and the team in superb fornm,but for now i sit and wonder if we will be that good. This end of the season sorts the men from the boys.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:No good for me.
Ã

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:As I said, I think the facts over a decent period of time is a good way to measure it. That's why so many think we're better than them. There's always bias in these opinions, but this time the facts seem to support it. Today's loss is now history and points to improvement on their part. But anyone can win on any given day. Does last night's result mean Adelaide is better than Geelong? Of course not. The pussies are still the yardstick because of their RECORD, not just a one off performance. It's consistency over the long haul that counts, especially where ladder placings are concerned. Wouldn't you agree?
One result means jack. The problem is it is round 16 and they have just about played everyone and they are top of the ladder. That isnt fluke. I dont know if they are better than us because we are only 2 points behind them but I do know they are a side who has as much chance as us to win the flag.

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

I'd like to say that we are better than the pies but I'm afraid I can't.
Sure our defensive side of the game may well be better but our ability to kick a winning score is not.
This time last year Kosi had kicked 40 goals, this year lucky to get a kick in a Kung Fu fight. The skipper will take time to get things right. We are in a delicate situation coming in to the final few rounds of the home and away season.
Collingwood on the other hand is full of confidence now and have the players capable of presenting themselves towards a Grand Final.
The only positive I see from today's game is that they had 25 scoring shots and we had twenty two. Not a lot of difference but it did look worse.
The St Kilda Fc needs to make a couple of hard decisions. No more favorites. If your not up to it then f*** off.
Mr Lyon will earn his money in the next few weeks. IMO

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think we might just be in furious agreement on this one, P66.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are the pies still no good

plugger66 wrote:Why do people put themselves into a position where they have no where to go when they say top sides are no good. The Pies are a very good side and anyone who thinks otherwise also must admit we are no good. I refuse to believe that but I do think the Pies can play.
Have always rated them the past few seasons.

They despise us for the fact that we put them out of the finals two years running. They are out to level the score.

They hate us so much that they recruited Luke Ball and Max Hudghton.

I think we will meet again in the finals ... maybe even in the big dance ... and beat them by three goals.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Why do people put themselves into a position where they have no where to go when they say top sides are no good. The Pies are a very good side and anyone who thinks otherwise also must admit we are no good. I refuse to believe that but I do think the Pies can play.
I hate Collingwood as much as the next bloke and wish them an eternity of lost premierships but if they play like that eevry week for the rest fo the season - Faaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrk!!!!!!!!

So in answer to your question, no, they are not no good. They are in fact - good.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
Have always rated them the past few seasons.

They despise us for the fact that we put them out of the finals two years running. They are out to level the score.

They hate us so much that they recruited Luke Ball and Max Hudghton.

I think we will meet again in the finals ... maybe even in the big dance ... and beat them by three goals.
Geelong put them out last year.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
35...LEGEND
Club Player

Good H & A side who got us at the right time and had a bit more to prove.

It was a huge game for them.

I reckon Mick would have put a lot of hrs into this one.....he wanted it bad IMO.

Still think we have them well covered when in form.

Yesterday was not typical us.

Not too worried here.

Big game this week though.

bob__71
Club Player

Wow. I came in here a bit flat after yesterday and P66 a so called StKilda supporter is in here acting like a Collingwood supporter who's only friends are StKilda suppoerters. Keep it in your pants mate, JPB is about somewhere go get excited with him.

starsign
Club Player

"better" is a far too nebulous term when using it to differentiate footy teams
There are too many variables to use by way of comparison, and you could argue for ever making generalizations

The only thing that really counts is the Better team on the day in this game , particularly the big one

Unfortunately they were better yesterday than us , and we were certainly better than them on our previous 3 or 4 encounters , which significantly included knocking them out of the finals (and just maybe we will do it again this year )

So for mine you are only as good as your last game and for the moment they are the better team..... but that's not going to ensure them a win us next time we meet

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:Wow. I came in here a bit flat after yesterday and P66 a so called StKilda supporter is in here acting like a Collingwood supporter who's only friends are StKilda suppoerters. Keep it in your pants mate, JPB is about somewhere go get excited with him.
Please explain from what i said that doesnt make me a sints supporter. Saying another side is a very good side. I dont see how that means you dont love another club. Have Geelong been a very good side for the last 3 years. Of course they have. Does that mean I am not a Saints supporter.

If the pies arent a very good side then that isnt good for us. As a Saints supporter I hope the pies are very good otherwise it doesnt go well for us.

StSteven
Club Player

Yesterday sapped my confidence because the Pies were so good. Howver ANYTHING can happen in finals, The H&A games are just a means to get pole position for the finals and to learn how other teams play. On both of these we are doing ok.

The current top four are worthy finalists and any of these teams could win the big one. Luck and injuries plus talent will define the premiers. We have as much chance as the others BUT no more (or less). Keep crossing the fingers....

fingers
Saintsational Legend

P66 - i get your question.

They are a good side. But I honestly don't think their style of play will cut it in finals. They beat us well yesterday but we were well of our best. Was it because they didn't let usplay well ( like we did to Geelong a few weeks ago) or did we just have an off week.

Maybe RL's sadness during the week rubbed off on the team and we were flat. Who knows.

Our best is much better than theirs - and that's what I hope we bring in Sep. Mentally, I hope that this is a bit of kick in the ass for us. It's not about how you feel it's about how you act on the day.

Nothing but absolute best cuts it these days. If you are "off" any team can beat you. And the reason I don't rate clwood that highly is they still haven't beaten anyone who is at their best.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:P66 - i get your question.

They are a good side. But I honestly don't think their style of play will cut it in finals. They beat us well yesterday but we were well of our best. Was it because they didn't let usplay well ( like we did to Geelong a few weeks ago) or did we just have an off week.

Maybe RL's sadness during the week rubbed off on the team and we were flat. Who knows.

Our best is much better than theirs - and that's what I hope we bring in Sep. Mentally, I hope that this is a bit of kick in the ass for us. It's not about how you feel it's about how you act on the day.

Nothing but absolute best cuts it these days. If you are "off" any team can beat you. And the reason I don't rate clwood that highly is they still haven't beaten anyone who is at their best.
That last line could be said about any side that loses. Were Geelong at their best when we beat them this year. I doubt it as they had 5 AA players out. Were the pies at their best when we beat them the first time. i doubt it as they kicked 4 17. Were we at our best in the GF. No because Rooy had an ordinary game. Most sides arent at their best when they lose and that is why they lose. Is it actually that side or is it the side playing them that doesnt let them play their best. Collingwood beat us fair and square yesterday and they should be rated accordingly.