Neil Mitchell's editorial in the Herald Sun today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cirra
Club Player

Neil Mitchell's editorial in the Herald Sun today

Neil wrote:

"Bad referees and whingers. Now it is true, we all like to blame the umpire, but only in soccer can there be such good reason. When Harry Kewell closed his eyes and failed to escape the ball he was accused of cheating. It was as silly as the ref who failed to notice the ball was in the back of the net.

In Australian sport we have heard of this marvellous invention called the video camera and found it can be quite handy when trying to avoid errors. We have referees and umpires who can run faster than Matt Preston and have better vision than a myopic mouse.

There's also a tradition in this country called sportsmanship. True, St Kilda Football Club doesn't entirely understand the concept but generally when beaten we pay tribute to the victor, even when we think he cheated and tricked his way to the top."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/jus ... 5886397854

Did anyone else see this editorial piece in the Herald Sun by Neil Mitchell?
He's talking about Soccer v AFL.

I don't understand the reference to the Saints. What am I missing?
Of all the things regarding the Saints lately in the papers this one annoyed me the most....WTF??

"When we get back on November 5 and walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down the road to a premiership. You're either on the bus or you get run over," Roo at the B&F 2007

In 2012, I'm still on the bus.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Neil Mitchell's editorial in the Herald Sun today

Cirra wrote:Neil wrote:

"Bad referees and whingers. Now it is true, we all like to blame the umpire, but only in soccer can there be such good reason. When Harry Kewell closed his eyes and failed to escape the ball he was accused of cheating. It was as silly as the ref who failed to notice the ball was in the back of the net.

In Australian sport we have heard of this marvellous invention called the video camera and found it can be quite handy when trying to avoid errors. We have referees and umpires who can run faster than Matt Preston and have better vision than a myopic mouse.

There's also a tradition in this country called sportsmanship. True, St Kilda Football Club doesn't entirely understand the concept but generally when beaten we pay tribute to the victor, even when we think he cheated and tricked his way to the top."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/jus ... 5886397854

Did anyone else see this editorial piece in the Herald Sun by Neil Mitchell?
He's talking about Soccer v AFL.

I don't understand the reference to the Saints. What am I missing?
Of all the things regarding the Saints lately in the papers this one annoyed me the most....WTF??
What a complete tosser. Have always disliked him and have never understood when ppl have a gripe why they say, 'I might call Neil Mitchell about this.' He's an irrelevent tool. Incredibly and unfortunately for us, for some unknown reason he carries some weight around Melbourne.

How were the saints bad sports? Bakes even shook SJ hand after the game. The saints weren't squealing about the umpys, (unlike the cats) which is more relevent to his irrelevent article than Bakes and SJ going at it.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Bewildering comment from a complete oxgen thief.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

He was just trying to be clever in that opinion piece writer kinda way.

Epic fail.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Brad Scott -- did I just hear what he said?

Re Baker-like tagging, said there was no room in the game for scragging and sniping. Said it was from a different era.

I'm sorry? Did his team not scrag and snipe Barry Hall just weeks ago? Was the man himself not one of the game's biggest thugs? Did he not hurl Lenny Hayes into a fence? And purposely collide with an injured Riewoldt?

On the plus side, this proves that the man is not very intelligent.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Sorry -- my post above is about Brad Scott -- mistakenly put it in this thread.

St Michele
Club Player

I can;t even work out what he is trying to say about the club and have written to him asking to clarify what he is trying to say?? Have no idea who he is but if he is insinuating we cheat I am not impressed.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

wtf is this mitchell guy anyway.....and who gives a fat rats what he thinks...not i....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:wtf is this mitchell guy anyway.....and who gives a fat rats what he thinks...not i....

He is a fat crusty old fool who opinion is not relevent

I love this club
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Neil Mitchell is a ratbag who wouldn't know what day it is.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Mitchell thinks he's clever and funny. He's neither. He's the Daryl Somers of talk-back radio. No discernible talent or expertise. Gets a gig because he's always been there. Who cares what all of these half-baked, wannabee "experts" think? The club, players and coach will look after bakes. He has credibility where it counts; amongst his team mates and coaches. Who gives a fat rat's tossbag what those external to the club say? Many AFL players seem to have a grudging sense of respect for Steven Baker and the way he plays.

For goodness sake, it's been nearly three years since he was last suspended (stitched up), so he's hardly a thug in the mould of those oft reported menaces Mooney, Hall, Fletcher et.al. All those w*nkers from other clubs who are whingeing about him would love him in their side.

It seems nothing is going to distract this club from its "unfinished business". When we win the flag this year , it will silence all those inbred half wits from pollution central down on Corio Bay, along with all the other knockers. When we do win it, a bloke wearing number 10 will be there, with a winner's medal around his neck. That will be vindication! Go Sainters!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Ice Wolf
Club Player

Anyone know if he's an old Geelong Grammar boy or Collingwood Supporter?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:Anyone know if he's an old Geelong Grammar boy or Collingwood Supporter?
He's an Old Wanker.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Ice Wolf wrote:Anyone know if he's an old Geelong Grammar boy or Collingwood Supporter?
He's an Old Wanker.
So could be both then :D

linz
Club Player

Neil Mitchell barracks for melbourne but who cares.

i bet he loved Big Carl when he played for the "D's" too.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Barracks for Melbourne. Far right wing conservative old fart, because it suits him and his employers now. Was a real red-ragger and stirrer when he was a journo and editor. Once told me personally that George W. Bush (yes the idiot son) and John Howard were the most impressive men he'd ever met. Even allowing for the obvious sense of hyperbole, as he was name dropping and big-noting at the time, you've got to wonder about a bloke who found those two to be the most "impressive" men you'd ever met. They were a lot of things, but surely not that!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Neil Mitchell's editorial in the Herald Sun today

Cirra wrote:Neil wrote:

Faux Pas I believe. He must have meant to put Geelongs name in there, not ours. We won the game last Friday I do believe.

In regards to unsportsmanlike behaviour and ungraciousness, he must have been referring to Geelong. NEVER have I heard as many excuses as I have in the last week for their loss against us. St Kilda had the humility and dignity to admit we lost to a better side on the day in the GF. Unlike Geelong after their loss to us last week.......
Last edited by saint75 on Thu 01 Jul 2010 10:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Herald Sun journalists must get a bonus every time they bag us.

It just doesn't make sense? What is he on about? How is what he saying relevant to current issues regarding us?

Is on Drugs?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:Herald Sun journalists must get a bonus every time they bag us.

It just doesn't make sense? What is he on about? How is what he saying relevant to current issues regarding us?

Is on Drugs?
Don't know if he's on drugs, but I do know people who say he's a good substitute for mogadon.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

just looks like neil mitchell is struggling for material to write about. no biggy!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Skildir
Club Player

He's a populist pure and simple.
Last edited by Skildir on Sat 17 Jun 2017 8:21am, edited 1 time in total.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

A little story about Neil Mitchell...from a mate of mine.
In Grand Final week (in '08 I think) he was on his talkback program putting on his "man of the people" act and complaining that due to corporate tickets etc a GF ticket was out of the reach of true supporters of the competing clubs. Someone rang up (he must have got through the screening) and asked Mitchell if HE had been given a complimentary ticket and was he going to the game.

Mitchell waffled and said he'd "probably go" and the caller came back at him and tried to get him to admit he'd been given a free ticket to the GF for the last 10+ years (true apparently). I don't think he really answered the question. My mate said Mitchell got OWNED!

I actually don't mind celebrities, politicians and businessmen getting complimentary tickets...that's reality, unfortunately (although obviously it'd be better if the GF was only true supporters). But Mitchell is a would-be radical who was posing as a "hero of the proletariat" when in fact he had his snout in the trough like everyone else. What a tool.

And now to slander the entire St KFC....the guy's a flog.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Pretty much all of the Shock Jocks are compromised f$#@ wits. When they aren't getting cash for comment they attack anyone they think is vulnerable or marginal. He obviously sees St Kilda as pushed to the ground so in go the boots.

I loved it when Alan jones was editorializing on perverts and someone reminded him that he pulled his knob out at a teenage boy and was arrested when he was a rugby coach. His face looked like he wanted to stab someone.

Anyone that joins in that type of second rate journalistic style comment is associating themselves with a tradition of hypocrites and bullies.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Ouch! thats a low blow. A very classless comment and a cheap shot, but after doing a quick google search on him, he comes across as a bumbling fool.
I suppose if he is desperate to get people to read his drivel he is going to use any hook he can.

Im a bit over this tone in the media that St Kilda is the first team to ever do anything wrong. Wonder if they can show us the way to this higher moral level every team in the AFL but us is playing on.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

But does anyone know what he's referring to?

It's really quite odd.