Stanley: Over time develop into a key forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Noted that in Lyon's Press Conference today that in reference to Stanley that Lyon indicated that over time that he hoped that Stanley will develop into a key forward.

So as per one of our forumite's (sorry can't remember but may have been BackFromUSA)pre-season unnamed source this looks to be the direction the club have him heading in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley: Over time develop into a key forward

is it time to give him a run? though he reportedly was quiet for sandringham i'm not opposed to the idea. what does everyone think?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:is it time to give him a run? though he reportedly was quiet for sandringham i'm not opposed to the idea. what does everyone think?
Well RL in full "when you drill down to it" swing gave the impression that Stanley needs to improve his all round game, workrate etc etc..

Which does not rule him out this week....but does indicate that the coaching staff want Stanley to improve a fair bit more...

Thing is some "speccie" marks and a great round down tackle does not yet make a 4 quarter footballer.

Reading between the lines of the Sandy watchers Stanley does tend to drift in and out of games...but looks good when he has drifted in :wink:

Saints43
Club Player

I'd love to see Stanley told to apply forward pressure as his one and only instruction and told that anything that comes the other way - from a turnover or whatever - would be seen as a bonus.

The sort of role that Dempster did with the chance of something special happening.

Of course I don't see him all week so don't really know if he's got the attitude/aptitude to be given the chance...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:I'd love to see Stanley told to apply forward pressure as his one and only instruction and told that anything that comes the other way - from a turnover or whatever - would be seen as a bonus.

The sort of role that Dempster did with the chance of something special happening.

Of course I don't see him all week so don't really know if he's got the attitude/aptitude to be given the chance...
Well he certainly has the pace for it. Have watched him at Sandy do some good run down tackles last season.

We just do not know if he has the concentration for it....yet.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Worst case scenario for Stanley at full forward:

He drops marks in the goal square, gives away free kicks, misses goals from close range, has no spatial awareness, fires off uncoordinated handballs, gets toppled like a top-heavy garbage can, and gets reported at least once a year.

If you know what I mean.

But even in that scenario, he'd still be good at ground level and he could chase down opponents, keeping the ball in the forward 50.

He deserves a chance ... now. With Goddard at CHF playing the Roo role: lots of leading, roaming and 50m kicks.

Saintsfan
Club Player

We need someone to take over from Riewoldt and Kosi. One of the reasons we are up there is that our kpp's are slightly older than our core group of mids.

Kpp's take an extra year or two to develop so we need to start developing now so the torch can be passed when needed.

The Saintsfan Cometh
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:But even in that scenario, he'd still be good at ground level and he could chase down opponents, keeping the ball in the forward 50.

He deserves a chance ... now. With Goddard at CHF playing the Roo role: lots of leading, roaming and 50m kicks.
so kosi to second ruck?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Worst case scenario for Stanley at full forward:

He drops marks in the goal square, gives away free kicks, misses goals from close range, has no spatial awareness, fires off uncoordinated handballs, gets toppled like a top-heavy garbage can, and gets reported at least once a year.

If you know what I mean.

But even in that scenario, he'd still be good at ground level and he could chase down opponents, keeping the ball in the forward 50.

So we should pick a guy that seemed to play just as bad as Kosi did Saturday in a weaker competition.

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

I'd just like to see him get a run at some stage, along with Lynch and Heyne as we still crying out for the "3rd" forward (medium to tall) who can take marks (as another option) when Roo/Kosi have defenders hanging off them, can kick goals and apply forward pressure.

Let these guys experience "AFL standard" and we'll all find out where they are at this stage. Maybe they'll all fail? I expect that it is likely that they can't play out the season without wearing their bodies out but I'd like to see them all get some games under their belts.

After last Saturday we all know that six goals isn't going to allow us to beat many teams. I want to see more options tried out before Roo's return.
Please note I am not looking for more than one of them per match as I don't want too many disruptions all at once. These guys are all 2nd year players and the exposure would also whet their appetite to improve their fitness and strength ASAP. It could also provide some more enthusiasm for the rest of the players. They looked pretty flat last week, even allowing for th six day turnaround.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

If you know what I mean.

So we should pick a guy that seemed to play just as bad as Kosi did Saturday in a weaker competition.
Yeah and then those that can't tell the difference might ask why Kosi changed his number......

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

If you know what I mean.

YES!

Because the world has caved in!

We MUST play Steven, and heck, why not Tommy Walsh also?

BLOOD THE KIDS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:I'd love to see Stanley told to apply forward pressure as his one and only instruction and told that anything that comes the other way - from a turnover or whatever - would be seen as a bonus.

Totally agree

Anything above and beyond that Stanley gave us would be a bonus - Id also tell him to free him from expectation.

Run,chase, tackle - sure if the grabs there get it.....but pressure is your go, you have the speed to coral and we all know the Dogs hate being hurried out of defence....

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If you know what I mean.

YES!

Because the world has caved in!

We MUST play Steven, and heck, why not Tommy Walsh also?

BLOOD THE KIDS :lol: :lol: :lol:
fair point. if they don't think he's ready they shouldn't pick him.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Rickabee wrote:I'd just like to see him get a run at some stage, along with Lynch and Heyne as we still crying out for the "3rd" forward (medium to tall) who can take marks (as another option) when Roo/Kosi have defenders hanging off them, can kick goals and apply forward pressure.

Let these guys experience "AFL standard" and we'll all find out where they are at this stage. Maybe they'll all fail? I expect that it is likely that they can't play out the season without wearing their bodies out but I'd like to see them all get some games under their belts.
I agree.

Besides the 3 small forwards experiment has failed in the finals... against the top defensive teams.
So what do we have to lose ? ...

We need a medium sized forward and another tall forward (as an insurance with Roo out and as a possible decoy when he returns) - to strike the right balance up forward... let's at least try to get it right for the next finals.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We have an 8-point game against the Dogs aftera pretty tough start to the year.

After this we get a softer run. Would not surprise to see Stanley trialled at some stage during this period.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Yes, if he's going to be better for us than the other guy this week. How they played last week is not as important as how they'll play this week.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
How they played last week is not as important as how they'll play this week.
I don't think that Lyon factors in one week performance at all.

Based on his comments over his time with us he mainly looks at what the player has been achiving overa broad set of crietria.

If Lyon "sees" that a player is mainly achieving this he "looks past" such is issues as say poor disposal ina game or too.

It would appear that with Stanley at present that development is in full swing and that he needs to learn how to apply these over 4 quarters. This was very evident in Lyon's comment at his Presser this week.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:is it time to give him a run? though he reportedly was quiet for sandringham i'm not opposed to the idea. what does everyone think?
It's an interesting one. The difficult thing is that most, if not all games he plays for Sandy will be played in wet/windy/slippery conditions, with often less than stellar disposal into him, so how he goes in those games up forward may not be an accurate reflection of how he'd go playing under the roof at Etihad, with much better delivery to him.
I doubt we'll see him playing regularly for us until next year, though.
In fact I reckon we'll be a much stronger team this time next year, when we have guys like him, McEvoy, Lynch, Heyne, Smith (maybe both Smiths), Steven, Gaertner, and hopefully Tommy Walsh, etc pushing much harder for selection.
At the moment there seem to be few really banging down the door to be elevated into the seniors, but in 12 months time those blokes hopefully will be, which ought to make us stronger overall, as we're not likely to lose anyone at the "top end". Roo will hopefully be back to full fitness then, too.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Fri 30 Apr 2010 11:43am, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

saddened to not see him get a go this week....
but steven is in so thats good to see

like the look of this kid too

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Definately. Will be interesting to see who misses out when Gram comes back. This week may be a "play-off" between Steven and Mini, who needs to lift.
There is no spoon.

saint vince
Club Player

Teflon wrote:

Totally agree

Anything above and beyond that Stanley gave us would be a bonus - Id also tell him to free him from expectation.

Run,chase, tackle - sure if the grabs there get it.....but pressure is your go, you have the speed to coral and we all know the Dogs hate being hurried out of defence....
This is what Mini does and he gets bagged on here for not giving enough to the team. How about we just play the best 22 players and see how that works.