Captaincy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

azza12
Club Player

Captaincy

Will Lenny Hayes be Captain in the Absence of Roo?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

should be yes

#1 Ryder fan
howlinwolf
Club Player

I would say so as well ! Lenny is a born leader and inspirational.

Reckon BJ would go o.k too !

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Joffa 5
Club Player

As he is the vice captain, I would say an emphatic yes!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

In good hands I'd say! It's a tribute to the way that the club has grown to see any one of three or four players who could step up to the role without any trouble. A testament to our policies regarding leadership at the club.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintlee
Club Player

In the past the captaincy has tended to go to others, I remember Kosi was acting skipper for the NAB cap a couple of years ago, so could possible be given to him when he returns....other contenders would have to be BJ or Sam Fisher

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:In the past the captaincy has tended to go to others, I remember Kosi was acting skipper for the NAB cap a couple of years ago, so could possible be given to him when he returns....other contenders would have to be BJ or Sam Fisher
What are you talking about. Lenny will be Captain as he is vice captain.

saintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintlee wrote:In the past the captaincy has tended to go to others, I remember Kosi was acting skipper for the NAB cap a couple of years ago, so could possible be given to him when he returns....other contenders would have to be BJ or Sam Fisher
Think its pretty obvious what I was talking about. When Rooey has been injured or missed games in the past, Lenny hasn't necessarily been captain. I remember Kosi filled in at one point, as did Maxy.

I also believe BJ and Fisher could be good captains, hence why I added them.

Nothing against Lenny, but their are other candidates.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Think its pretty obvious what I was talking about. When Rooey has been injured or missed games in the past, Lenny hasn't necessarily been captain. I remember Kosi filled in at one point, as did Maxy.

No there are not. Lenny is captain next week and will continue as Captain if he plays. If he doesnt then we look for other options.

saintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No there are not. Lenny is captain next week and will continue as Captain if he plays. If he doesnt then we look for other options.
Okay Plugger, sorry for daring to think outside the box...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Okay Plugger, sorry for daring to think outside the box...
I forgive you.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hi Saint Lee

I think Max captained us against Hawthorn last year, as Lenny and most of the leadership group we're sidelined.

I think Lenny will captain, but they may promote someone to be second in charge as it's a long period of time.

saintlee
Club Player

SainterK wrote: Hi Saint Lee

I think Max captained us against Hawthorn last year, as Lenny and most of the leadership group we're sidelined.

I think Lenny will captain, but they may promote someone to be second in charge as it's a long period of time.
Yes, your probably right.

If its okay with Plugger, I'll suggest Sam Fisher as a good VC :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

That has only applied if the Captain AND Vice-Captain were both out.
Lenny will get the gig as he is the Vice-Captain.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintnick12
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hi Saint Lee

No doubt Lenny will be captain seeing that he is Vice-Captain.
I agree they may decide to promote someone else from the leadership group to second him as it is a long period of time. If they choose to go down this path, the choice will be interesting. Agree with others that BJ and Sam Fisher would be good options.

Alternatively, they may just make Lenny acting captain and not name any other promotion, rather relying on the leadership group as a whole to step up.
Anyone know exactly who is in our leadership group this year???

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Nobody's concerned about a umpire contact charge that may come up against Lenny??

I haven't seen the incident, but Triple M were discussing it on Saturday arvo, comparing it to Heath Shaw's charge which he copped a week for....

saintnick12
Club Player

St Chris wrote:Nobody's concerned about a umpire contact charge that may come up against Lenny??

I haven't seen the incident, but Triple M were discussing it on Saturday arvo, comparing it to Heath Shaw's charge which he copped a week for....
Heard it discussed in a few places and most ended up agreeing he will probably just get a fine...not nearly as agressive as the Heath Shaw example, but all the same, you can't touch them ever. I think this probably got lost in all the other Saints news this weekend. MRP results should be out soon.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Lenny is probably the most senior and well regarded Vice-Captains going around in the AFL.

A born leader, he'll step up without a problem.

I'd like Milne to be vice-captain during Roo's lay off.

He needs to take that next big step and could do a good job of it also IMO.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
St Chris wrote:Nobody's concerned about a umpire contact charge that may come up against Lenny??

Heard it discussed in a few places and most ended up agreeing he will probably just get a fine...not nearly as agressive as the Heath Shaw example, but all the same, you can't touch them ever. I think this probably got lost in all the other Saints news this weekend. MRP results should be out soon.
Not even fined as far as I can see?

saintnick12
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:

Not even fined as far as I can see?
Not even mentioned in the discussions. It was pointed out in a couple of places so I'm surprised it he didn't get a fine. Two others were fined for making contact with an umpire this round.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I think you will find in the past when different people filled in was when we had the rotating Captain system and no Vice. As someone said last year when Roo was out Lenny was also.

As Vice he will be Captain while Roo is out and watch him shine, he will be awesome our Lenny.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Calais
Club Player

I know Lenny is our vice and we all know his leadership qualities but would anyone think it'd be a good idea to rotate the captaincy for a weeks between the likes of Joey, BJ, Fish, Gram , Dal and so on?

lennstar

Calais wrote:I know Lenny is our vice and we all know his leadership qualities but would anyone think it'd be a good idea to rotate the captaincy for a weeks between the likes of Joey, BJ, Fish, Gram , Dal and so on?
NO!!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Calais wrote:I know Lenny is our vice and we all know his leadership qualities but would anyone think it'd be a good idea to rotate the captaincy for a weeks between the likes of Joey, BJ, Fish, Gram , Dal and so on?
Stupid idea.

The rotating captains concept bollocks died when GT was sacked.

What we need is stability, and the same on field leader in Roo's absence.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Lenny is a superstar and will do beautifully as our captain thanks very much.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"