Did dawson do as badly as the papers are saying

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Did dawson do as badly as the papers are saying

As some people know i dont care at all what the papers write about our players or club. We are big and ugly enough not to worry about that sort of thing. But just for my own peace of mind did people really rhink Dawson really struggled friday night. i actually thought he was very good down back when he played there but in the papers today a few writters not just one said he struggled friday night. Now they obviously have no agenda so who is right them or me.

And it is OK to agree with me and still hate my posts so try not to be biased.

Viking3
Club Player

Would love to see Max in the side but Zac is getting unfair treatment by the papers. Made some mistakes Friday night, but was certainly not the only one. Also did some very nice things. The run down and tackle on Johnson, a few good marks and delivery was spot on.
Again, sad for Max, but Zac deserves his spot.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
claystreet
Club Player

I thought he was great in defence i even gave him a vote. He was struggling with matchups early but settled as the game went on. I thought he was great

matrix
Saintsational Legend

shakey early and thought he wasnt that good
watched the replay and have realised that yes he was a bit shakey in some spots
but actually played very very well
def starter on saturday

8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:shakey early and thought he wasnt that good
def starter on saturday

8-)
So as sad as is for you and many others you dont think max will get his final game?

claystreet
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
def starter on saturday

8-)
So as sad as is for you and many others you dont think max will get his final game?
Drop Eddy move Raph up the ground in comes Max thats about the only way i could see it at the moment.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
def starter on saturday

8-)
Drop Eddy move Raph up the ground in comes Max thats about the only way i could see it at the moment.
Probably the only way but it seems RL doesnt want all of Zax, Max and Blake in the backline and i have said on numerous occasions that seems right to me.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
def starter on saturday

8-)
well no plugger i dont think he will
unless something from left field is thrown in by ross da boss
lke eddy dropped and backmen are rotated forward or something like that
cant see it happening
maybe eddy out dunno
can see no changes if raph is fine with that knee/leg...seemed to run out ok after

JABBER
Club Player

did dawson do as badly

Zac played a graet game sadly he will keep max out of the Grand final

trevor barker
Statsman
Club Player

Zac made a few nervous mistakes early (like almost everybody else) but settled done to play quite a good game. Unfortunately, much like Raph, Zac's mistakes are glaring and potentially very costly.

One lesson I hope Zac takes out of the game is to back himself to take possession of the ball when it's in dispute. At least twice he tried to tap or palm the ball to a team mate, missed the ball and looked really bad. The umpires protect the players that make the play, so grab the footy and make the right decision with it. Take out those few mistakes and he had a great game.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:Zac made a few nervous mistakes early (like almost everybody else) but settled done to play quite a good game. Unfortunately, much like Raph, Zac's mistakes are glaring and potentially very costly.

One lesson I hope Zac takes out of the game is to back himself to take possession of the ball when it's in dispute. At least twice he tried to tap or palm the ball to a team mate, missed the ball and looked really bad. The umpires protect the players that make the play, so grab the footy and make the right decision with it. Take out those few mistakes and he had a great game.
Good summation...started nervously but some of his spoils and 1 %-ers later in the game were crucial

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
reincarnated

Zac either does really good things or really bad things

His spoiling over the top was super at times - good thing

He had three major stuff up's i.e going to ground/being out of position etc that most seasoned defenders would not make so often

Reincarnated guesses we have to take the good with the bad with Zac and the media are going to jump all over his poorer efforts as they stick out in the memory more so than the good ones

PJ
SS Life Member

At least twice he tried to tap or palm the ball to a team mate, missed the ball and looked really bad.
The little palm effort later in the game was more annoying - it was too cute and our backline was completely exposed.

With regards to the journos I think they will try and create a bit of drama where ever they can. Zac was the one in a brilliant defensive team that looked less concrete and so he's the one that will get the spotlight - and no his game was not that bad, in fact pretty solid.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

I heard the game on the radio (mmm) and they bagged Zac from start to finish. They also went on about how it was brilliant coaching by eade to expose our weakest link.

I think they made mention somewhere at the end that we won the game, but I can't be sure.

If he was that bad then he wouldn't play this week, would he?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Sadly for Max, I thought Dawson tried his guts out. He's fast and travels all over the ground. I can't believe it, I'm so sorry for Max, but I think we need him in!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

No Zac did better than the papers suggest, he marked strongly at least twice, laid a couple of ripper tackles and did realy well considering he didn't have a matchup all night.

I still think Max can get in the team, with Eddy out and Zac playing a role partly down back and partly down forward.

We need shutdown players for Chappy and Steve J, Max is perfect insurance when either of these play deep or Mooney/Hawkins start getting off the leach.

Gilbert gave us no run down back on Friday night, if he freezes like that again he is better going forward or up to the wing.

Big risk but at this early stage I think Max gives us more options than Eddy or possibly even Dempster.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Overall was Zac was good.

Importanty he finished strongly and in the third quarter was superb.

Early on he had his moments...but at that time so were about another Saints.

So he was good in a match where he did not have a good match up. Against the Ctas there are all of Hawkins, Mooney and Ottens to be matched up on.

Max will not displace him.
Max only chance is if Ross decides to play both.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Richter
SS Life Member

First half he was nervous, like virtually everyone else.

Second half he seems to be the spare man at the back which made him look better as he had no opponent for much of the time. Having said that those crucial '3rd man' defender marks - he took quite a few - don't get taken by themselves.

Overall, I was happy with his game. Not a chance he will be dropped for Max IMO. And neither should he be.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Zac was great and did more then hold his own, i was disgusted to read some of the articles.

His awesome tackle was amazing he was out bodied but didn't give up and got his man with a ripper tackle.

I though he got his fist to the ball and took some really strong marks when he was needed, I found myself saying atleast 5 times "And that's why we play Zac Dawson"

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

def starter on saturday

8-)
Yep, I agree. Bit shaky to start with in patches, but played well as the game went on.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Yep, I agree. Bit shaky to start with in patches, but played well as the game went on.
Agreed.

He'll be much better this week with a better matchup - any of Hawkins, Ottens, Mooney are fine for him. Notice Minson didn't get near it when stationed forward with Zac on him.
Last edited by bergholt on Sun 20 Sep 2009 2:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Did dawson do as badly as the papers are saying

plugger66 wrote:As some people know i dont care at all what the papers write about our players or club. We are big and ugly enough not to worry about that sort of thing. But just for my own peace of mind did people really rhink Dawson really struggled friday night. i actually thought he was very good down back when he played there but in the papers today a few writters not just one said he struggled friday night. Now they obviously have no agenda so who is right them or me.

And it is OK to agree with me and still hate my posts so try not to be biased.

I thought he played great considering he only had a proper match up for half the night.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Our defense was exposed early by Eade's tactics.
When things settled and Ross reorganised, the defense played better as a unit.

To bag Zac is just poor reporting and poor knowledge of the game.

Zac was excellent in the 3rd and played a good game overall, after a shaky start.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Actually, I heard after the game Dermie really bagging our defense.

In my opinion - I thought they played unbelievable well....The amount of ball going in there was phenomenal, and the way it was going in was superb in contrast to our forward entries.

I thought they stood up well.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The papers have an agenda,and that is to push the Max non selection story. Therefore they say Dawson was shaky, which is BS, as he did some very good things, no way was he bad like they suggest. However they'll keep doing it right up until 2.00pm saturday as there isn't any other injuries or stories to report. They will manufacture the story all week ,wouldn't be suprised if there was 'Max watch' in the 48 hours leading up to the game. Photo's of him eating at cafe's,photo's of him drinking water on his balcony,etc

Bring back the Lockett era