It's not the match we lose that worries me...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It's not the match we lose that worries me...

Because I think it's just about certain we'll drop one. Somewhere.

Does this worry me? Not really. It's a normal part of modern footy; you never know when we might have an off day, cop a game-changing run from the umpires (can happen) or lose three players by quarter-time.

So, I've made peace with that and would like to think that our focus - rather than trying to go 25-0 (extremely unlikely) - is to win the premiership (possible).

In order for that to happen, we need to gear ourselves for what happens when we do eventually lose.

We never quite recovered from having our 10-0 run snapped in 2004. We lost the next week to the Western Bulldogs and finished the season 6-6 - or 7-8 if you include finals.

So much publicity went into the streak that when it eventually did end, we lost a lot of momentum. What we can't afford to happen this year is to let the loss derail or even stall our season.

When (if) we do lose, we need to use it as a clinching reminder of how tough this competition can be and how we cannot afford anything other than 100 per cent focus, 100 per cent of the time.

We need to bounce back immediately - the very next week. This cannot be emphasised enough. We need to use the loss as an opportunity to realise what it takes to win the premiership.

So, if our first lost comes this week against Richmond, or Geelong the week after, or against West Coast in Round 15, etc - we need to understand why it happened, what we did wrong, and how we can adjust.

I would hate to think that one loss could be seen as the catalyst for a bigger problem. It isn't. It's merely the opportunity to make sure we get ourselves absolutely cherry ripe for when it really matters. September.

Because that, to me, is all that matters. We could be 24-0 heading into the GF last year and drop it - virtually what happened to Geelong last year. Do we want that? Hell no.

Everything needs to be geared towards winning the flag, and a part of that is preparing a plan to ensure that if we encounter a small hurdle, such as a loss, we can overcome it.

Of course, I hope we go 25-0. Life would be a lot easier. And in a way, I don't want to jinx anything...this is more the break-glass-in-case-of-loss thread rather than saying "we're doomed to fail!" thread.

Because we're not doomed to fail. This is an Olympic Marathon, not the Brighton Gift...and I know what I'd rather win.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

extremely well put

no matter how many "bad" wins we have it can never be the same as being knocked off.

But I love the focus on the marathon part of the footy season. In a marathon to shoot off to get ahead of the pack early, this means you wont get caught in accidents and sort out the good runners from the average. Then you pace yourself, keep up with the leaders but keep something in the tank. Then as you enter the stadium you dig deep and push that extra bit. Thats what makes a champion runner and what will make the champion footy team.

You can't win a flag in jne but you can put the base in place, the non neg. parameters that will allow you to shine come spetember.

I would also suggest that we start enjoying this, I got so wound up during the carlton match, so scared of losing and having everything fall apart. Lets start being proud, being loud and excited!

Go saints!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Christ.

I would be absolutely shytting myself if we were going into a GF 24-0.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Milton66
SS Life Member

Milton66 recommends a few glasses of fine NZ Sav Blanc.

You thinketh too much my friend. :lol: :wink:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
widereceiver
Club Player

Like '97, I would be in a cold sweat at any GF we were to be in. I hope the ticker stands up to it this year!

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Milton66
SS Life Member

widereceiver wrote:Like '97, I would be in a cold sweat at any GF we were to be in. I hope the ticker stands up to it this year!
I'm not afraid to admit that a small part of me almost doesn't want us to make it. I felt very ill leading up to 97. I'm now 12 years older.

Getting to old for this s***. :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
widereceiver wrote:Like '97, I would be in a cold sweat at any GF we were to be in. I hope the ticker stands up to it this year!
I'm not afraid to admit that a small part of me almost doesn't want us to make it. I felt very ill leading up to 97. I'm now 12 years older.

Yeah same here.

Really struggled that week

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintly
Saintsational Legend

i think one of the differences is that in 2004 when we had the streak, the publicity was enormous. This year, the publicity is not huge. Geelong has helped beucase of no games lost. Once round 14 happens, and one team is defeated the one undefeated team will gain more publicity.

In 2004, there was so many articles on the saints players, and how great we were. Even on the coach. Now, Lyon it appears so far, is able to keep the players focused just on the next game.

when Lyon talks even with todays article regarding Gardiner, its very much on how the player has worked. on the coach's humbleness.

read what he says lately very different to previous coaches, and it appears that his humbleness becomes the reality

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I reckon one thing that's forgotton about 2004 is that sure, we were average in the middle part of the year, but by about Rd 18-19 we had picked ourselves up again.

A couple of things to remember about 04. Our losses, by and large, were to the finalists often played interstate. ie Sydney at the SCG (ALWAYS DIFFICULT) Port in Tassie (a ground we always played crap at) Brisbane in Brisbane - the best team going around, and the most difficult assignment back in 04. Even Geelong in Geelong. THe doggies were an unacceptable hiccup. During that period we started to pick up injuries and were playing more often away from the comfort of the dome.

If you look at the finals series and isolate each game, the Brisbane final aside, it's fair to say we were in good form running into the finals. We pumped Sydney in conditions that were expected to favour the swans. THe prelim final against Port I thought we played superb, and were desperarately unlucky to lose.

Rather than say we didn't handle the 'end of the streak' I actually believe that the inevitable evening out of the comp started to take place. The better teams started to get their crap together. THis often happens most years, not every year, but most years. I believe that we are seeing it happen again this year too. Teams are making a run and will continue to do so.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Christ.

please no.........
please dont let it be 24 - 0

if we dont make it we have no chance of winning it.
its football, if we make it and lose?... then cry, have a drink, hug the misses and kids and get ready for next year.
if we win?.... cry, have a drink, hug the misses and kids and get ready for next yeah

NO part of me doesnt want to NOT make it...if i find a part of me that does ill be chopping it off :?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:But I love the focus on the marathon part of the footy season. In a marathon to shoot off to get ahead of the pack early, this means you wont get caught in accidents and sort out the good runners from the average. Then you pace yourself, keep up with the leaders but keep something in the tank. Then as you enter the stadium you dig deep and push that extra bit.
also, make sure you go to the toilet before you start, because needing a s*** halfway through can ruin your whole day.

bob__71
Club Player

God people worry about crap sometimes.

One week at a time. Its not about the evil 24-0 boogy man. If we loose a match and tryed our best its the best we can do.

I just hope the players arnt as bigger froot loops as some of the supporters.

reincarnated

This is another example of the club's loser-ish culture/attitude coming through supporters

Some are creating theories in their heads about the worst possible scenarios etc etc

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Yep. No such thing as the boogey man.

Just crush the bejeezus out of Richmond, see how we go against Cats, and each week as it unfolds thereafter.

markp
Saintsational Legend

In Ross we trust....

I also like to think he has a little black book marked 'Finals' that he works on late at night, and Mark Thompson wont know what hit him.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I would love to be 24-0 going into the GF, that means we make it for one....

The pressure on the Saints in a GF, and the feeling after a loss would be no different to me if we were undefeated or not....

I think the pressure is greater the week before in the PF myself...

I don't see the issue, I can't see how we will beat the Cats next week....

yipper
SS Life Member

markp wrote:In Ross we trust....

I also like to think he has a little black book marked 'Finals' that he works on late at night, and Mark Thompson wont know what hit him.
I actually reckon that wouldn't be far off the truth!! I reckon he is preparing our team to play in big finals and has something up his sleeve. And I reckon bunner thompson is looking over his shoulder!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:I would love to be 24-0 going into the GF, that means we make it for one....

The pressure on the Saints in a GF, and the feeling after a loss would be no different to me if we were undefeated or not....

I think the pressure is greater the week before in the PF myself...

I don't see the issue, I can't see how we will beat the Cats next week....
Totally agree with this statement here because we've lost three in the last five years and perhaps even worse, our last three consecutive Prelim Finals.

I'd like to add one thing now though - I don't care how the hell we get to the gf - Don't care if we have to beat Geelong in the Prelim or lose the first final, knock off say hawthorn and then travel interstate to Brisbane for example.

I just want to DO IT! For 14 years I have been a hardcore St Kilda supporter. It all leads to this moment I feel.

If we didn't make the GF this year, then i would be wondering where the hell did it go wrong?

Good thread once more Everton, see you've raised concerns most of us have.

Cro
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:

please no.........

so if we're 23-0 going into the prelim people want to lose? Way more scared of the prelim than the GF, not making it would break my heart a lot more than losing in the GF ever could..

I don't care what our record is as long as we're there.

markp
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
markp wrote:In Ross we trust....

I actually reckon that wouldn't be far off the truth!! I reckon he is preparing our team to play in big finals and has something up his sleeve. And I reckon bunner thompson is looking over his shoulder!!
Yup, the story of how they couldn't rattle him during his interview and how he blew them away with his presentation is very indicative of the man I think.....

The cats will know it's theirs to lose, and deep down they will fear losing another one more than anything.

Oh man.... bring it on.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:This is another example of the club's loser-ish culture/attitude coming through supporters

Some are creating theories in their heads about the worst possible scenarios etc etc
horseapples.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Take any sport you like, anywhere in the world, and there's a very strong tendency for teams to go on winning streaks... and then struggle.

They get bona fide hot, smoke the opposition, build their confidence, bad habits creep in, but they win anyway... but when they lose, the confidence goes and the bad habits are still there.

The really good teams (ala the Cats), don't bounce back - they follow up. It's about honestly being able to see what led to the loss, and what can be done to address it.

And I'm sure when the time comes, we on SS will have plenty of advice... to the degree that (keeping in mind that a stopped clock is right twice a day) some of it's even bound to be good advice :)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
linz
Club Player

It would be good if we could simply say we have won 12 in a row to the mid-season break.

Now we are starting again for the second part of the season. As of now we are effectivelly 0-0 leading into the 2nd half of the season.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Cro wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:

please no.........

so if we're 23-0 going into the prelim people want to lose? Way more scared of the prelim than the GF, not making it would break my heart a lot more than losing in the GF ever could..

I don't care what our record is as long as we're there.
no but being unbeaten would add a tiny bit more pressure..........
id rather have lost one during he year.....but if we are unbeaten we are unbeaten.
and i didnt say anything about losing finals............

ace
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote: I'm not afraid to admit that a small part of me almost doesn't want us to make it. I felt very ill leading up to 97. I'm now 12 years older.

Strange, I felt very ill all week after the 1997 GF.
Puked at the knowledge that the saints had let one slip.
Did you sit next to me with something contageous?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08