The Form of Luke Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintwill66
Club Player

The Form of Luke Ball

Having been a sometime vocal critic of Nick Riewoldt prior to the start of this season, I am the first to admit that he has finally reached the peak of his immense ability as a player, and has also become a genuine team leader - it was a long time coming but he has now firmly answered the doubters in the best possible way, and that's great....

There now remains only one other # 1 draft pick that needs to prove his worth, and that's Luke Ball. Like Riewoldt, Ball possesses undoubted natural talents and football skills, but so far in his career he is not a shadow of the 2 players who were selected after him: Chris Judd and Luke Hodge. His courage is beyond question and sure, he has been plagued by the dreaded osteitis pubis. But it is really distressing to see him hesitate and fail to kick a goal on the run from 30 metres as he did against Carlton.

Much of his excellent work scrumming the loose ball under a pack of players is terrific, but that in itself is not enough for a man of his stature in the game. For Luke Ball to be elevated to the elite level of his contemporaries he needs to lift his rating in both leg-speed and kicking for goal so that he can be as potent and game-changing around the ground as Judd and Hodge. Just imagine what a difference that will make to the Saints prospects for this year's premiership!!

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

First things first, Luke Ball was a #2 pick, Luke Hodge went before him, and Chris Judd after him.

But I agree with a lot of what you have to say. Out of all our mids this season, Bally has been the most out of form . He needs to lift, and get some penetration back with his kicking.

The Saints are coming!
emmdee
Club Player

i would think Luke Ball would be more aware than anyone of his lack of fullfilled potential ......

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
iceman
Club Player

at the same time, isn't great that this bloke can slip under the radar, i do agree with a lot of what you are saying, but without stats to back me up i think his game time has been at and even below 70% most games.
Had 14 touches to half time, most in and under to half time last week, then was tagged out of it in the second half, can't remember who went to him but he had maybe 3 or 4 in the second half. To be honest he still doesn't look 100% fit but he is getting valuable game time in the engine room while he can.

The week before last he had a ripper, but of course he is not on the end of the string most of the time, and at the moment lacks that next gear which Lenny has got back this year, he'll be right but there is still plenty of room to go forward!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Form of Luke Ball

saintwill66 wrote: There now remains only one other # 1 draft pick that needs to prove his worth, and that's Luke Ball.
Prove his worth????? :shock:
saintwill66 wrote: Ball possesses undoubted natural talents and football skills, but so far in his career he is not a shadow of the 2 players who were selected after him: Chris Judd and Luke Hodge.

Hodge was selected before him
saintwill66 wrote:His courage is beyond question and sure, he has been plagued by the dreaded osteitis pubis. But it is really distressing to see him hesitate and fail to kick a goal on the run from 30 metres as he did against Carlton.
He failed to kick the goal from 40 metres out on his left foot which is his non preferred foot
saintwill66 wrote:Much of his excellent work scrumming the loose ball under a pack of players is terrific, but that in itself is not enough for a man of his stature in the game. For Luke Ball to be elevated to the elite level of his contemporaries he needs to lift his rating in both leg-speed and kicking for goal so that he can be as potent and game-changing around the ground as Judd and Hodge. Just imagine what a difference that will make to the Saints prospects for this year's premiership!!

Why the fascination with comparing him to Judd and Hodge - Hodge doesn't even play midfield

Luke Ball is doing just fine - he plays his role in the team perfectly

Just because he doesn't get 30+ possessions doesn't mean he is not an effective and or an influential player

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
roxanne
Club Player

The fact that you could be critical of Nick Riewoldt at the beginning of this season after he almost single handedly dragged us into the finals last year is enough to create serious doubt about anything you might say regarding Luke Ball.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
widereceiver
Club Player

He has balls of steel. He is a poor kick and has been since the appearance of his OP. He still kicks further than Michael Roberts ever did.

My main criticism of his play is the way he holds up play many if not most times he takes a mark or a free. Either he hasn't got the flair or it's a habit ingrained into him when he played GPS footy. This results in the opposition being able to flood back while he hesitates. It can be a real momentum killer at times.

The only person who can hold a candle to him in the courage and in and under stakes is # 7.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Jesus Christ.... the poor boy has been 100% for all of 5 minutes over 6 (??) years of a career....

He's doing just fine....

Nathan Burke Mark #2.... he will grind out a "lazy" 300 games.

Go Bally!!!

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

What we see of Bally is what we are going to get due in part to the OP he had. A very courageous player who struggles with his kicking. The only negative against Bally and it has nothing to do with his OP is he sometimes comes across as not having great footy smarts. A point in case was that kick at goal on Friday. Everyone in the ground knew he couldnt make the distance and there were at the time plenty of options around him but he still chose to have a shot.

In saying that he is a very important cog in the Saints midfield.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Yeah - it's just SO EASY from the Grandstand isn't it Plugger66......

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He was AA in his 3rd AFL season, like Chris Judd. Luke Hodge was AA in the same year, but in his 4th season ( Luke Ball, although drafted at the same time as the other two, did not play at all in 2002). He gets the "hard ball" more than any other Saints player. Wonderful Saints player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:Yeah - it's just SO EASY from the Grandstand isn't it Plugger66......
That has nothing to do with it. He has done it quite a few times. Should be write all things positive about all our players even if you are lying. He is a very good player but occasionally makes poor decisions. He has many more positives than negatives though.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

IMO struggling to hold his place in side...

I think his lack of pace and kicking skills really cost us when we play quicker opponents eg Carlton/Essendon.

Yes he has battled a debilitating injury and IMO he has also been played when perhaps he should not have been. Other players might not have been so courageous - but we have to ask ourselves has it been to his and the teams long term detriment.

I love the guys approach and effort but I think his lack of running ability in todays game is affecting his ability to even get to the in under contests first.

LYON is only playing him for 60-70% match time which if fully fit would not be the case. If fit and running strongly he would be a match winner for us -but as it stands IMO he is struggling to maintain his position in the side.

IMO now is the time to give him a break and get ARMITAGE or another younger player into the side and get BALL 110% before the lead into the finals...

If this is good as he can be injury wise, then it is time for him to stand aside and let an able bodied/skilled player step in and take his position. Otherwise come finals it wil cost us dearly....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: IMO struggling to hold his place in side...

WinnersOnly wrote:I think his lack of pace and kicking skills really cost us when we play quicker opponents eg Carlton/Essendon.

Yes he has battled a debilitating injury and IMO he has also been played when perhaps he should not have been. Other players might not have been so courageous - but we have to ask ourselves has it been to his and the teams long term detriment.

I love the guys approach and effort but I think his lack of running ability in todays game is affecting his ability to even get to the in under contests first.

LYON is only playing him for 60-70% match time which if fully fit would not be the case. If fit and running strongly he would be a match winner for us -but as it stands IMO he is struggling to maintain his position in the side.

IMO now is the time to give him a break and get ARMITAGE or another younger player into the side and get BALL 110% before the lead into the finals...

If this is good as he can be injury wise, then it is time for him to stand aside and let an able bodied/skilled player step in and take his position. Otherwise come finals it wil cost us dearly....
Yes we read that rubbish on the other thread.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he was a carbon copy of Marc Murphy at the same age. Except Murphy is probably better around the goals. The OP or whatever he had has changed him forever. Still a good honest player,but he was going to be one of the elite of the comp. Now his pace is shot,and his kicking.

The talk around the pre-season was how good he was going,so I had high hopes he might get back to what he was. Unfortunatly it's much more of the same as the last 2-3 years. A good honest player that is as courageous as anyone is what we've got now,not the superstar mid that he was going to be before OP
Plugger is on the money

Bring back the Lockett era
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

quote]Yes we read that rubbish on the other thread.[/quote]

Hey Plugger66 if you have anything worthy to add then p... off!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:quote]Yes we read that rubbish on the other thread.
Hey Plugger66 if you have anything worthy to add then p... off![/quote]

I said it on the other thread. Unlike you I dont post the same rubbish on 2 threads to be noticed.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:quote]Yes we read that rubbish on the other thread.
Hey Plugger66 if you have anything worthy to add then p... off!
I said it on the other thread. Unlike you I dont post the same rubbish on 2 threads to be noticed.[/quote]

As I said you have nothing worthy to add!

Milton66
SS Life Member

roxanne wrote:The fact that you could be critical of Nick Riewoldt at the beginning of this season after he almost single handedly dragged us into the finals last year is enough to create serious doubt about anything you might say regarding Luke Ball.
Thanks for posting on my behalf. :D :wink:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:A point in case was that kick at goal on Friday. Everyone in the ground knew he couldnt make the distance and there were at the time plenty of options around him but he still chose to have a shot.
What were these options you speak of ???

From what I saw his initial reaction when he got the ball was to look to give it off - realising he didn't have an option he ran in closer and had a shot, unfortunately he was on his wrong side and he hit the kick badly - if it was on his preferred foot I have no doubt the kick would have cleared the defenders head and he would have registered a score

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Man, some of our supporters and their "brilliant analysis" just makes me wonder ....
Bally is 7th in possessions .. 3rd or so in handballs - most from within packs to our outside stars like Monty and Dal ...
He is 3rd in tackles - and who benefits from these?
He is probably 2nd in clearances as well - but I cannot bring up these yet.
FFS he is playing the role RL has for him perfectly with only 75% game time.
How many other teams would have him in their top 10 or so ... 15 clubs that's how many.
Players that get the ball OUT are worth their weight in GOLD and are perenially under-rated.
Greg Williams ... Leigh Matthews anyone?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

And I will also add that in the tightest contests - in the GF - when I look to our midfield bounces I want to see Hayes, Ball and Goddard there - and then Dal and Monty ... in THAT order.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:A point in case was that kick at goal on Friday. Everyone in the ground knew he couldnt make the distance and there were at the time plenty of options around him but he still chose to have a shot.
What were these options you speak of ???

From what I saw his initial reaction when he got the ball was to look to give it off - realising he didn't have an option he ran in closer and had a shot, unfortunately he was on his wrong side and he hit the kick badly - if it was on his preferred foot I have no doubt the kick would have cleared the defenders head and he would have registered a score
There was someone 4 metres away on his left and he was on his own and he was on his left so I dont see what that has to do with saying if he was on his preferred foot he would have kicked it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ball loses out some kudos cause hes a pack magnet - always at the bottom of them. How much did we miss his ball winning ability last year in the prelim against Hawks.....I know I wnt home and realised that Ball going down with that hammy left far to much for Hayes.......and there wasnt much picking up the slack...

That aside hes never going to be elite in the Judd mould so you may as well stop comparing them now - Judd does it all (anyone who says Judd doesnt win the hard ball better go look at some season stats...phenomenal player...and I dislike the mercenary...). Ball wins hard footy very well. Big difference. Hodge is a floating backman, doesnt play midfield (I suspect lacks the endurance) and cant be compared.

Ball as a player is very much in the Joel Sellwood mould for mine - both fierce competitors at the footy.....problem being Joel is where Ball is except hes 3 or 4 yrs younger.... :shock:

Just pray Ball doesnt do a kamikazi before finals again.....you will notice the hole in the side if he does.

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:And I will also add that in the tightest contests - in the GF - when I look to our midfield bounces I want to see Hayes, Ball and Goddard there - and then Dal and Monty ... in THAT order.
Goddard in the ruck :shock: :wink: