Only 3 teams in the race

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Only 3 teams in the race

The way I see it right now, there are only three teams that will contest for this years premiership.
Us of course, Geelong and the Dogs, the gap to the rest is too big.
Someone will fall into 4th place but will not get to the Grand Final.
Right now 6 wins ensure us a top 2 spot as the Dogs, even if they win every game can't make up the percentage.
After today's result Hawthorn are gone and suddenly I'm starting too feel a little bit more confident about knocking them off down in Tassie as by then their moral will be low as they will be struggling to even make the 8.
We may set another unique record this year by winning all our interstate games.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i think carlton, brisbane and collingwood are definately going to be annoying in september.

apparently they haven't heard that its a two horse race yet :(

also form can be fickle.

injuries will also play a big part in who is there and effective in september.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Brisbane were very impressive today-If they make the finals expect to see them play in the 2nd week. I think Hawks will take 4th spot in the end and will play in a pre-lim against us-Then it just comes down to how much we have improved since last yr, and how much they have dropped off.

That is my view anyway

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I would take Brisbane over Hawthorn in a final in a second. Hope form stays true.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Whilst the odds are that we'll make the finals, there's still a loooooooong way to go.

I haven't forgotten 1978 yet.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I think only two sides play premiership winning football.

Us and Cats.

Consistent, class on demand, aggressive and defensively sound.

Hawks won't go top 6 at this rate. Even when they do get a few back, it;ll be too late. As we know, players don't flick a magic switch and resume where they left off.

Pies are having a purple patch after a terrible slump. They'll return to where they came from soon enough. They don't have enough talent where it counts. three small forwards will only thake you so far.

Dogs IMO need to be having current run in lead up to finals, not now. I also think they lack the sort of key position talent history teaches us premierships a re built upon.

I reckon Dogs and Blues will make up the four, the latter making up numbers, the former needing something pretty exceptional to make it through to the last weekend.

Brisbane a smokey to be the sneaky prelim-maker if they make as many tackles as they did today week in week out and someone trips up.

linz
Club Player

Stats show that the last 5 teams (in history) to win their 1st 12 games in a row made the Grand Final. Given that we have won 12 and
Geelong will win 12 after thumping Fremantle I would say that is likely that it will be a Geelong V Saints GF.

Having said that: I just want luck on our side for once!!

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Only 3 teams in the race

3rd generation saint wrote: We may set another unique record this year by winning all our interstate games.
What makes it unique?

Geelong did it last year and didn't win the flag.

We did it in 1984 and won the wooden spoon.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

the crows are always a worry

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Geelong vs St Kilda, i cant see the team letting the club, themselves and us down again, esspecially after the start we have had

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

As we learnt in 97...and the Cats did last year...the only thing that counts is the last game.

Hawks are not good at present...but again it is form in the finals that count.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
xander
Club Player

im not convinced the dogs can go all the way this year. There forward line is still suspect with no real talls and at times they really struggled at the end of last year to score.

saintly_safes
Club Player

I was just discussing the top 4 with my wife this morning .For all the good we have done it would only take a couple of injuries at the wrong time (ala 1997) to be out of the finals before you could even contemplate how did that happen. The reward for finishing top 1 or 2 these days is playing 3 & 4 in their first week & lets face it if we finish 2 we will play the dogs who are a good side that will run & run & if you have the misfortune to lose you have just gone from number 1 or 2 to playing a Carlton ,Brisbane or Adelaide in your next game with tired legs.So if we lose a Riewoldt or Hayes to injury we might finish well clear in 1or 2 & go out in straight sets.My point is theres not much reward for effort. Even sadder is we play all our home games at a climate controlled Etihad Staduim but they dont play finals there.So come September even if we finish top 2 we might be playing Adelaide in our second final on a rain drenched MCG that we arent used to.I'm not whingeing & I'm more than happy with what the boys have achieved & even if they go out in straight sets i would be disapointed but still happy with their effort over the season but it it seems a bit unfair to me.No doubt you blokes will bag me & I probably deserve it but I'm more than happy to hear what you think good or bad i've got a pretty thick skin :wink:

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

nah, totally agree 100%, a injury or two is all it will take.

Not like Geelong, they have key players out every week and still keep steam rolling teams. I dont believe we can cover injuries as well as them, but I believe we CAN beat them.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Crows in 2005 looked unbeatable at the half way mark. I remember they pumped the swans by 6 goals in Sydney. They also pumped us by about 40 points at Telstra dome. THEN Riccuito got some disease, Hentchel busted his knee, the birdman lost a wing and it all went pear shaped - and Harves gave them a footy lesson in the rain in the first final.

Us on the other hand were 6-7 after 13 games in 2005 and Butterrs was defending GT after Sam Newman raided his media conference. There was a Spanish inquisition about where it had all gone wrong.

Next 10 games are vital and anything could happen. WE've got the perfect platform to build from though if we do meet a couple of speed humps.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Brisbane have been getting good results, even with quite a lot of injuries. In fact, they probably have as many as the Hawks in terms of KPP?

thequarry
Club Player

Moods wrote:Crows in 2005 looked unbeatable at the half way mark. I remember they pumped the swans by 6 goals in Sydney. They also pumped us by about 40 points at Telstra dome. THEN Riccuito got some disease, Hentchel busted his knee, the birdman lost a wing and it all went pear shaped - and Harves gave them a footy lesson in the rain in the first final.
And don't forget that in 2006, after round 16 they were 14 wins and 2 losses and sitting very, very pretty on top of the ladder...

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:07am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

there's still about six or seven teams in the race.

the bulldogs are a good side, make no mistake. their midfield can match ours on its day.

brisbane tested us at our home ground. any team with brown and bradshaw should never be underestimated. plus they are tough and tackle hard and have a coach that played a lot of football under leigh matthews.

carlton. they're dangerous on their day and have a good midfield. really took it up to us on friday.

hawthorn. they're the reigning premiers, so i wouldn't be writing them off just yet. their dangerous tall forwards make them capable of beating anyone on their day.

adelaide. have added an attacking dimension to their game recently and have taken all before them.

geelong. enough said.

collingwood. i think we have their measure, but with malthouse desperately trying to hang on to his job they will be a dangerous opponent.

we've proved nothing yet except that we're the best performed team up to round 12.

the season begins again in september.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Dangerously silly ground being covered here.

Sure we'll make the Finals. After that, a few injuries, suspensions, the flu or simply a bad couple of games... and our goose might be cooked.

If we were fans of at least 12 other teams, we'd still think we were a chance - and rightfully so.
Agreed entirely. You'll note I said above we are playing premiership football.

That is, our game is 'finals style' at the moment.

But that means sweet FA after 12 rounds.

Pre season Part B starts in a fortnight.

The season proper starts in Sept.

Gotta get there first, and need to be flying when we do.

yipper
SS Life Member

No doubt injuries or the lack thereof will be the critical factor. Top 4 will probably have us, Cats, Doggies and Lions I reckon. When Brisbane get their key defenders back into the side, they will be even better than are now. The Premiers will come from these 4 teams.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:i think carlton, brisbane and collingwood are definately going to be annoying in september.

apparently they haven't heard that its a two horse race yet :(

also form can be fickle.

injuries will also play a big part in who is there and effective in september.
don't forget Adelaide. they are getting better each week as well.

nathan000
Club Player

Risk Hawthorn at your own peril. The break will do them some good, will get some more players back too. They are a fantastic team capable of beating the very best.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Not convinced at all re Hawks.

They need to win AT LEAST 8 from 10 to go top 4 and probably 5 or 6 from 10 to go top 8.

In their run home they have games against Geelong, Essendon, Dogs, St Kilda, Adelaide, Collingwood, Port at AAMI and West Coast at Subiaco as well as games against North and Richmond.

On form, they'd only be monties for 3 or 4 of those games and even then they'll have to win two of them on the road.

IMO, although I would never NOT respect last year's premier, they are looking good for 8th to 10th.

Things may change, of course. They often do. But geez they'll have to get a wriggle on.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:IMO, although I would never NOT respect last year's premier, they are looking good for 8th to 10th.

Things may change, of course. They often do. But geez they'll have to get a wriggle on.
Right on the money Thinline.

Inkersaint predicted after round 5 that the Hawks would struggle to make the 8 this year.

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... p?p=731768

Round 12 and that assessment is still looking pretty good.