The elephant in the room

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The elephant in the room

Carlton, who are'nt really that good, were the better team on Friday night.

AND

The Dogs would beat us by 5 goals on current form.

Discuss...

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Saints are 12-0. The boys are in 'cruise control', managing the list perfectly, and they only put the hammer down when they have to.
You won't see The Saints best until the Finals.

Discuss...
Last edited by BakesFan on Sun 14 Jun 2009 8:01am, edited 2 times in total.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
ace
Saintsational Legend

Carlton beaten by 9 points even with a bonus 6 points from an interchange goal.

If the score doesn't tell you anything then checkout the statistics.
Carlton had far fewer possessions and not one of their players reached 100 dream team points.

You clearly had too much to drink last night, go back to bed and sleep it off.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: The elephant in the room

Thinline wrote:Carlton, who are'nt really that good, were the better team on Friday night.

Pllease correct your typo.
"better" should read "BEATEN"

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Traditionally the better team is decided by multiplying the number of goals by six and adding the number of behinds.

The team with the biggest score wins.

We played the bulldogs six weeks ago. Our form was better on the night. We play them again in six weeks, our form will be different then and so will theirs.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Carlton beaten by 9 points even with a bonus 6 points from an interchange goal.

Carlton had far fewer possessions and not one of their players reached 100 dream team points.

You are clearly coming down off a pill and spoiling for an argument.

Discuss, I said. DISCUSS.

Not I reckon, I believe or I think...

FWIW I think Carlton's peformance all year has been overstated and Fri night was their zenith....and they got done...

The Dogs have had a few very soft wins since pushing Cats, but there's little doubt they'll present a much sterner challenge in a few week's time. Een so, if I were a Dogs fan I'd be wanting this streak to be Rd 15 onwards, not now...

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
ace wrote:Carlton beaten by 9 points even with a bonus 6 points from an interchange goal.

FWIW I think Carlton's peformance all year has been overstated and Fri night was their zenith....and they got done...

The Dogs have had a few very soft wins since pushing Cats, but there's little doubt they'll present a much sterner challenge in a few week's time. Een so, if I were a Dogs fan I'd be wanting this streak to be Rd 15 onwards, not now...
Coming down off a pill. What do you mean coming down of a pill. I haven't heard this expression before, please explain.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Make no mistake about it Carlton are a good football side. Once they get some more experiance in their kids they will be a very good side. Carlton lost to St Kilda on Friday night that makes US the better team, if they played better than us they would have won.

"On current form this side would beat this side" I dont like that line of thinking. It makes no differance if they would beat us if we played this week (dont even count on that) because last time we met we beat them end of story. Next time they may beat us but we wont know that till we play each other again

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

So...you hypothesise bulls*** but expect others to 'discuss'? Bit one sided isn't it? FWIW your statement directly above re: Carlton is right...Friday night was as good as it'll get for them, but they weren't good enough. Carlton were not the better team statistically (BTW, DT points don't amount to anything), with the exception of contested ball wins, and they were not the better team on the scoreboard.

As for us v the Dogs, who knows. Given our form (i.e. 12-0), you'd have to say we'd be red hot favourites.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

On form at the moment the best 3 sides are obvious and they should fill the top 3 positions at the end of the year. The 4th spot is between the blues, Hawks and Lions with a slight chance to Adelaide. Dont worry though or should I say do worry Carlton are going to be a good side.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I came home from the game a bit flat, trying to figure out why we couldn't put them away. When I watched the replay I realised that the blues played bloody well, but still couldn't beat us! THe doggies are a good team, but so are we. We will no doubt drop a couple of games at some point. What our form is like entering week 1 of the finals interests me more, as we've already stitched up top 2, and the players have to know that.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Carlton, who are'nt really that good, were the better team on Friday night.

AND

Discuss...

better team???...crap...were you there...did you even watch the game...... :roll: :roll: ...come on you can do better than that....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:come on you can do better than that....
Can he??? I assume that you have proof!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

They played well, but it always seemed we could put them away if needs be. I can't explain it exactly, perhaps I am almost believing we are only doing what's neccessary at this stage of the season....could it be possible?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:If the score doesn't tell you anything then checkout the statistics.
the blues had more scoring shots. they won the contested possessions and the tackles, two things we pride ourselves on. i still don't exactly think they were the better team on the night, but i don't think the saints were either.

it was a really even match which we won thanks to some very good goalkicking. it was our third best exhibition of accuracy for the year. if we'd kicked the way we normally do, we would have lost. simple.

R1: 12.8 = 60%
R2: 15.11 = 58%
R3: 25.11 = 69%
R4: 17.9 = 65%
R5: 15.12 = 56%
R6: 14.20 = 41%
R7: 20.8 = 71%
R8: 13.12 = 52%
R9: 14.13 = 52%
R10: 11.17 = 39%
R11: 15.13 = 54%
R12: 16.8 = 67%

total: 187.142 = 57%

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

AND

Discuss...

better team???...crap...were you there...did you even watch the game...... :roll: :roll: ...come on you can do better than that....
Stinger, Stinger, Stinger.... READ the orig post, mate.

I appreciate you'd be more likely to read it if it contained some sort of personal swipe, but quite plainly I raised the topics as a DISCUSSION.

Fact is if you stood around any water cooler at the office this morning, that is EXACTLY what would be on the agenda.

Are Carlton any good? If not, are Saints fading? And are the Dogs the form team at the moment?

Why so offended?

I'm curious as to what people think.

And of course I watched it. Fair dinkum. What kind of Sainter wouldn't?

I reckon the game could have gone either way, BTW. I also note they had an extra shot on goal than us, which is often a decent barometer (only one, granted). I think our class on demand (Montagna, Dal Santo goals cases in point) tipped us over the line.

spert
Saintsational Legend

AND

Discuss...
The best team on the day never loses, and also the Dogs won't win a flag until they get a power key forward and defender.

Young Georgie
Club Player

Carlton aren't that bad but were not the better team on the night and the Dogs on current form are still a side we match up well on and in all likelihood would beat.
Now we've got to put up with 2 weeks of useless negativity while our team sits on top of the ladder 12-0.
After the barrage of Blues hype after Friday where everyone in the media it seemed was banging on about how good they were and how lucky we were, it was great to hear John Ralph from the Hun on SEN this morning state that in actual fact St Kilda was a '6-8 goal better side' on the night (never one to exaggerate..) and Carlton bumbled and stumbled their way to numerous goals making the most of their opportunities and of their luck. He said St Kilda's structure was far superior with the difference was telling in the end.
Discusseded...let's move onwards and upwards

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I think the 6-8 goal Ralph reckoning is probably a bit rich, but I definitely agree that many to Carlton's goals were the result of opportunism and opposition error rather than structured attack.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Young Georgie wrote:Carlton aren't that bad but were not the better team on the night and the Dogs on current form are still a side we match...St Kilda's structure was far superior with the difference was telling in the end. Discusseded...let's move onwards and upwards
Post of the week...hopefully the fortnight! Well put YG.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Young Georgie wrote:Carlton aren't that bad but were not the better team on the night and the Dogs on current form are still a side we match up well on and in all likelihood would beat.
Now we've got to put up with 2 weeks of useless negativity while our team sits on top of the ladder 12-0.
After the barrage of Blues hype after Friday where everyone in the media it seemed was banging on about how good they were and how lucky we were, it was great to hear John Ralph from the Hun on SEN this morning state that in actual fact St Kilda was a '6-8 goal better side' on the night (never one to exaggerate..) and Carlton bumbled and stumbled their way to numerous goals making the most of their opportunities and of their luck. He said St Kilda's structure was far superior with the difference was telling in the end.
Discusseded...let's move onwards and upwards
I didn't hear the John Ralph comment but it's spot on.

The ball ran for Carlton, and we made a few critical marking errors, so they were able to maintain score board pressure against the odds.

A classic example was the goal by O'hAilpin (I think in the last quarter). Appalling kick off the side of the boot as the ball is delivered forward. Two of our guys lead in the race for the ball, but a shocking bounce puts the ball back onto Setanta's chest. Our guys are now wrong-footed and a clear way to goal opens up.

We were a 4-goal better team on the night and we're a 6-goal better team overall.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

AND

Discuss...
When Carlton gets over it's euphoria, they'll need to consider the following:

They played one of the best games they've played in five years, and still weren't able to get over the Saints who didn't play near their best football of the year.

The Saints form isn't what it was 6 rounds ago, but as people were saying then, the only form that matters is September form... at which time I can only hope the Saints bring the level of determination the Blues did on Friday.

Great game to watch, though I'd have been filthy if we'd lost.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Agree with half of the OP.
Didn't think Carlton were the best side friday night.
However I do think on current form the dogs would beat us,comfortably. They're flying at the moment,we're not.
September is another story however. Keeping a 100% list is paramount for us to have any success in the finals

Bring back the Lockett era
Young Georgie
Club Player

jonesy wrote:Agree with half of the OP.
Didn't think Carlton were the best side friday night.
However I do think on current form the dogs would beat us,comfortably. They're flying at the moment,we're not.
September is another story however. Keeping a 100% list is paramount for us to have any success in the finals
The Dogs are on a winning streak sure but are they flying enough to beat us 'comfortably'? Port are a rabble, Richmond (Wallace's last game where they 'cared') a rabble, Swans have shown little this year when under pressure, lost to Cats in spirited showing, scraped home against the Demons, good win over the Crows and got beaten by the Saints. Flying??

September is indeed another story.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Destroyed Port where half of Port's list were playing back home in front of family. Led by 70 points at half time interstate against Sydney who never ever get thrashed. Would of beat Geelong if Johnson hadn't of choked from 10 meters out...I'd say they're flying.

We played them 6 weeks ago when we were flying. We are not flying at the moment,far from it.
For what it's worth our 'flying' was much more impressive than the dogs 'flying'. However on the current teams from from the last month,the dogs are going better.

Bring back the Lockett era