Reality check

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Reality check

I think we should take tonight as the reality check it was.

A contending team, a young team, pretty much took the points tonight from the 15min mark of the first quarter on. We were up 30 to 2 at that point and should've gone on with it.

From that point on, Carlton dictated play for the most part, whilst we were content to flash in and out.

I reckon Rossy will take this game as a big opportunity to give some kicks up the backside of some players over the next fortnight.

And that is the biggest positive to come out of tonight's game.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Marcus1232
Club Player

Get over yourself

Do you just expect us to win every game by 10 goals

Legendary
Club Player

Yep agreed that it will be a good match to review going into the break, they can disect a few things.

Apart from Carlton's purple patch in the 2nd quarter, and our own purple patch in the 1st, it was basically goal-for-goal most of the night.

They were the 4th ranked team in the AFL going in tonight, so apart from the Dogs and Cats, that's about the highest level of competition we can get, and it was good to see how we handled it, and what we can work on to keep improving.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Yep agreed that it will be a good match to review going into the break, they can disect a few things.

Apart from Carlton's purple patch in the 2nd quarter, and our own purple patch in the 1st, it was basically goal-for-goal most of the night.

They were the 4th ranked team in the AFL going in tonight, so apart from the Dogs and Cats, that's about the highest level of competition we can get, and it was good to see how we handled it, and what we can work on to keep improving.
Exactly. We were challenged tonight and it held up, but only just. Good reality check.

And Marcus, kiss my a**. If you can't contribute anything civil, don't contribute at all.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
eel33
Club Player

By all means examine how the players went, but I think more important to review how we went in the coaches box tonight. Carlton threw up some unexpected match-ups and structures, which we struggled to adapt to for parts of the game, particularly (obviously) the 2nd quarter. But importantly, we did adapt. We found the answers, which forced Carlton to have to try some more different things, which were not quite as effective and ultimately was a factor in why we were able to hold them off and come away with the win.

It's just as important that the personnel in the box learn in a pressured environment. Just like it's good for the players. That will stand us in good stead come Finals. And the more things our opponents try out against us now, the more counter-plans we can develop for use in September.

Marcus1232
Club Player

My whole point is we are 12-0 why the negativity....

No one seems to be happy on the forums that we just fkn win a hard contested game of footy where we are pushed i am more pleased with a win like this than a game against a freo or a collingwood where it wasn't even a fkn contest be happy that we won FFS.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Another win against another team that threw everything at us. I'm pretty happy.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Strange game tonight. We probably had the best 3 on the ground but we also probably had the worst 3 on the ground. It was Chips worst game I have ever seen him play and you can also add Mini and Kosi but to balance that we had Rooy, Lenny, Dal and Joey.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Marcus1232 wrote:My whole point is we are 12-0 why the negativity....

No one seems to be happy on the forums that we just fkn win a hard contested game of footy where we are pushed i am more pleased with a win like this than a game against a freo or a collingwood where it wasn't even a fkn contest be happy that we won FFS.
Always happy with a win Marcus. But you've also got to look to ways to improve. Happy yes. Improvement still to come? Absolutely.

12 and zip means nothing in September....and that's our aim.
Last edited by SENsei on Sat 13 Jun 2009 1:22am, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus1232
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:

Always happy with a win Marcus. But you've also got to look to ways to improve. Happy yes. Improvement still to come? Absolutely.

12-0 and zip means nothing in September....and that's our aim.
Yeah this is true...
My main criticism is i thought we got a little roo happy again tonight that would be the biggest one for me but i will sit back and watch the game again tomorrow

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Strange game tonight. We probably had the best 3 on the ground but we also probably had the worst 3 on the ground. It was Chips worst game I have ever seen him play and you can also add Mini and Kosi but to balance that we had Rooy, Lenny, Dal and Joey.
S Fisher was certainly out of sorts. That mark that went straight through his hands was very un-Chips like.

McQualter was good early (like the rest of the team) but went missing.

Kosi couldn't get near it. Like Fevola.

We just had the better start and were able to keep our noses in front through the great running of Hayes & Montagna along with the possessions of Dal Santo. Having a target such as Roo certainly tips the scales in our favour!

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Why the negativity? Because we see that there is a lot of room for IMPROVEMENT! There are still holes which need to be fixed. Until we win every game by an infinite amount and win the Grand Final for 50 years straight, there will always be room for improvement. It's not such negativity but more pinpointing our holes and seeing whether we can plug them.

Don't you think that if we played to our very best tonight we would have won by more? You can always go better no matter the result.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

great game - loved that we got tested. We've been spoiled with comfortable wins all year - tonight my heart was beating like crazy - i feel alive!
That's why we love footy isn't it?
Reality check - yep! And we passed!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Milton66
SS Life Member

Weird argument about not playing at our best. You only play as good as the opposition allow you to.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Don't think it was anymore of a reality check than the last 4 games to be honest.
Ever since the monday night game we haven't fired on all cylinders,that brutal pressure mojo was lost. However we've found ways to win each time,we've toughed it out.

Carlton played a blinder,and there crowd was worth 5-6 goals,extraordinary noise and what an advantage it would be too have that behind you.Make no mistake,this was there grand final,it was just another match to us,but we did enough.
Really tonight was probably the best win out of the last 5

We just got over the line against a Brisbane side that had no backline.
We struggled to put the bottom side Melbourne away until well into the second half.And last week we played a lowly side that had swine flu go through half the squad and they jumped us and it took until late in the 3rd to regain the lead.
We've hardly been polished the past month,but we've got the job done.
I really hope we can rediscover that extraordinary defensive pressure we were applying to every side,as that's what will win us a premiership. Our past 4 weeks form won't a premiership,but it's only June,and we are 12-0.

We have laid the most stunning platform to build from in the second half of the year. However there are some concerns there if we're talking premierships. We need to rediscover that early season form to win it. I think we're also going one too tall at the moment. We need to find another runner to bring in. Geez,a fit and firing Xav Clarke would be handy...I'm not sure where or who it's going to be? Is Armitage the answer,I'm not sure, but we need another mid in the side.

We've been longing for the break for a month now I reckon,it's been a tough schedule for the last 4 weeks. So now we've got it,let's hope we can reload and come out hard again for the run to September.

Bring back the Lockett era
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

they threw everything at us and still came up short, but i agree with the OP.

i think it is a reality check and might give us some indications of our what our possible weaknesses are and where we need to improve to win the premiership.

we need to find an answer to judd next time. i thought he was magnificent and had he not come off for the blood rule they would have won.

our defence looked a bit slow and top-heavy at times and the move of zac to the forward line in the last quarter helped and also gave us a vital goal.

their midfield was very good and they move the ball quickly.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Moorabbin Saints wrote:

Why the negativity? Because we see that there is a lot of room for IMPROVEMENT! There are still holes which need to be fixed. Until we win every game by an infinite amount and win the Grand Final for 50 years straight, there will always be room for improvement. It's not such negativity but more pinpointing our holes and seeing whether we can plug them.

Don't you think that if we played to our very best tonight we would have won by more? You can always go better no matter the result.
QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!