Gwilt , Raph , Geary ,Mcqualter , dawson all nervous

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint08
Club Player

Gwilt , Raph , Geary ,Mcqualter , dawson all nervous

2 must make way for Milne and Gilbert, assuming both fit , as is the word.

Who will it be, and who else will be nervous?

Raph is the most obvious swap for Gilbo... but who is out ,assuming Milne is back in?

This is where it gets tough at the selection table. It is probably a team balance decison, rather than a "weak player" issue. Is the defence too tall with Dawson , Max , Gilbo , fisher and blake?

(Will be even tougher if by round 15 , assuming no injuries , Dempster is carving them up in the VFL. Lyon really rates him , and he has played in a premiership.

claystreet
Club Player

How many of these whos going to ge droppped threads do we have to have

:roll:

saint08
Club Player

claystreet wrote:How many of these whos going to ge droppped threads do we have to have

:roll:
Fair question, but thought I'd get specific and name the choices.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We also have a problem in that Sandringham do not play next week either. Those ommitted this week will miss footy altogether and those who have been pushing also miss. This is going to be a real balancing act for Ross, the selectors and the fitness staff. There is also the week off for the senior players after the Carlton game !!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

This will go against the grain here,but I think Dawson is clearly our number 1 fullback now,and Max might have to make way for him,as I don't think they both should be in the side. Max has been a great servant,however his time has come to be our emergency FB in my opinion

Raph go's for Gilbert,or Milne or anyone for that matter.

Bring back the Lockett era
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:This will go against the grain here,but I think Dawson is clearly our number 1 fullback now,and Max might have to make way for him,as I don't think they both should be in the side. Max has been a great servant,however his time has come to be our emergency FB in my opinion

Raph go's for Gilbert,or Milne or anyone for that matter.
I think that is pretty close. I think Zac is our future FB for many years and Max is near the end.

Dilemma with Gilbo fit - however i would probably drop Raph for Gilbo and keep Max.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Zac and Mini not the least bit nervous IMO :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not Geary
Not Dawson
Not McQualter

Yes Raph
Should be Gwilt
Maybe Baker
Maybe Max
Possibly Blake

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Baker, who Betts would flog on form, makes way for Gilbert who is athletic enough to play on a smaller opponent if need be. Fisher gets 35 touches.

Max takes Fev, Dawson takes whoever and/or gets in the way.

Milne for Raph.

Goddard plays back half midfield 'quarterback' role if Raph's absence is somehow missed.

Gardiner for King if King goes.

How's that sound?

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Again I ask why would McQualter go out of the side?

Seriously its like a broken record and yet again no reason is given.

Minis game against North was one of his best he had 21 touches, 4 inside 50's and 7 tackles. The only Saint with more tackles against the Roos was Lenny Hayes.

Zac Dawson is another who has cemented a spot ion the side IMHO. Lets face it Max wont be around forever and prior to this year I was pretty worried about how we would replace him but the Zac Beast has been super all year. I cant remember a game he has done less than break even with some of the best fowards in the game.

IMHO IF (and its a huge if) Gilbert and Milne are to to come back this week then my outs would be Raph Clarke and Jarren Geary, Clarke for obvious reasons but Geary for the sole reason of experience and development.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lost me why Mini and Zac would be nervous. Did someone break into their house last night.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not Geary
Not Dawson
Not McQualter

Yes Raph
Should be Gwilt
Maybe Baker
Maybe Max
Possibly Blake
that sounds about right.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Lot of love for Zac on this forum. Who do you think will get Fev, Zac or Max? Then see how he goes against Geelong, then the Hawks. He is doing alright, but still is learning. Max should be the one to teach him.

Some clowns here are suggesting keeping Zac in the side and dropping Max.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Tough call on who gets Fev, but IMHO Max has more experience and has towled him in the past so Max to start with but its always nice to have a plan B and if Fevola starts to get the better of Max then the Zac Beast would get second dibs

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dawson's been one of the form defenders in the competition so i wouldn't be nervous if i was him.

max has done the job on fevola before, so you would expect him to get first crack.

axcellence
Club Player

I think it should be McEvoy who should go out.

Blake to take on Kreuzer (more an issue about mobility)

Gardiner vs Hampson (ruckman vs ruckman)

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Zac has done a brilliant job this year, so I don't expect he's going anywhere and I don't expect Max will be either. Only those with very short memories would suggest Max can only play at full-back, as he used to play on guys as short and fast as Phil Matera and Jeff Farmer, etc. He's not as big as Zac and has only ever gone to full back when the likes of Shanahan, S Wakelin and Luke Penny left the club.
He's our best "stopper", especially on the faster, medium sized guys like Brad Fisher, Steve Johnson, Brad Johnson, Michael O'Loughlin, Mark Williams, Paul Medhurst, Nathan Brown, etc. Max playing on guys like them will then free up the likes of Gilbert, or Fisher to be more attacking, either on a back flank or (hopefully) closer to goal. That will be brilliant.
I also reckon Mini has done more this year than Schneider, but Ross seems totally unwilling to drop Schneider, so Jason Blake may be a bit nervous.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Zac has done a brilliant job this year, so I don't expect he's going anywhere and I don't expect Max will be either. Only those with very short memories would suggest Max can only play at full-back, as he used to play on guys as short and fast as Phil Matera and Jeff Farmer, etc. He's not as big as Zac and has only ever gone to full back when the likes of Shanahan, S Wakelin and Luke Penny left the club.
He's our best "stopper", especially on the faster, medium sized guys like Brad Fisher, Steve Johnson, Brad Johnson, Michael O'Loughlin, Mark Williams, Paul Medhurst, Nathan Brown, etc. Max playing on guys like them will then free up the likes of Gilbert, or Fisher to be more attacking, either on a back flank or (hopefully) closer to goal. That will be brilliant.
I also reckon Mini has done more this year than Schneider, but Ross seems totally unwilling to drop Schneider, so Jason Blake may be a bit nervous.
Do you know why he is unwilling to drop Schneider. Only one reason but I reckon its a good reason, I'd say its because he has been a good player for us all year.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gwilt , Raph , Geary ,Mcqualter , dawson all nervous

saint08 wrote:2 must make way for Milne and Gilbert, assuming both fit , as is the word.

Who will it be, and who else will be nervous?

Raph is the most obvious swap for Gilbo... but who is out ,assuming Milne is back in?

This is where it gets tough at the selection table. It is probably a team balance decison, rather than a "weak player" issue. Is the defence too tall with Dawson , Max , Gilbo , fisher and blake?

(Will be even tougher if by round 15 , assuming no injuries , Dempster is carving them up in the VFL. Lyon really rates him , and he has played in a premiership.
Why would you even mention Dawson?

He's been amazing all year, absolutely brilliant, seriously you have not been watching the games properly to have mentioned his name to begin with.

Max leaked 3 of North's 8 goals, very rusty, I'd be selecting Dawson ahead of Max for starters.

But getting real about your initial question,

Gilbert for R. Clarke or Blake depending on matchups.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
gottaluvit
Club Player

Someone said it earlier

Ins: Gilbert, Gardy and Milne
Outs: McEvoy, Raph and King

Blake to take on Kruezer
Carlton have one ruckman and a utility
So do we

rexy
SS Life Member

gottaluvit wrote:Someone said it earlier

Ins: Gilbert, Gardy and Milne
Outs: McEvoy, Raph and King

Blake to take on Kruezer
Carlton have one ruckman and a utility
So do we
Dont see us dropping back to one genuine ruckman, why do what they do? Why not use us having two big rucks as an advantage? Besides if you dont beleive Kruezer is a genuine ruckman I would say you havent watched much of Carlton.

In Gardiner Gilbert Milne
Out King Blake Clarke? Maybe?

Hard time to be a selector.

Maybe this year?
gottaluvit
Club Player

I don't watch much of Carlton, that's true. Just think that Kreuzer is too mobile for McEvoy and we are too tall down back. Move Blake to the ruck

rexy
SS Life Member

gottaluvit wrote:I don't watch much of Carlton, that's true. Just think that Kreuzer is too mobile for McEvoy and we are too tall down back. Move Blake to the ruck
Agree that we are to tall down back, answer drop a backman.

McEvoy will probably ruck mainly on Hampson anyway.

Many teams rucks have been more mobile than ours, Ess Bri Dogs to name a couple, first job of the ruckman is to feed the mids.

Maybe this year?
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

We will play two tall ruckman unless we run out through injury or suspension. So if Steven King is out, Ben McEvoy will stay.

If Sam Gilbert is fit, he will replace either Steven Baker or Max Hudghton or Raphael Clarke. I feel that the coach wants to persist with Raph because of his run and versitility and youth. The other two are nearing the end of their careers but it will be a difficult decision.

If Stephen Milne is fit (big if), he will probably replace Jarryn Geary, although he will be stiff to be dropped. However, James Gwilt is still needed on the FL as the foil for Nick and Kosi and Adam Schneider is best when teamed with Stephen Milne and v.v.

No injuries out of Round 11 was good news.

saintjake
Club Player

WE HAVE JUST MADE CLUB HISTORY AND ARE SITTING SNUGGLY AT THE TOP OF THE LADDER AT 11-0
lighten up saints fans.
ross lyon has done a wonderful job in the box this year.
players get dropped through injury, or bad form.
you have to earn your spot.
atm, everyone EVEN JIMMY GWILT are doing there job, so there is no reason to change that, obviously.
the only exception, was raph clarke
but give him time to and he will shine.