Round 14, Really a blockbuster?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Round 14, Really a blockbuster?

I really hope so as it would be amazing as a spectator. But I was putting some thought into this game. On that slight chance that both teams are 13-0, will the saints and cats really go all out? Bragging rights are all thats at stake, top 2 virtually set and to me 1st is the same as 2nd, has the same advantages.

We have to travel to travel to Subiaco the following week, not great opposition but a hoodoo none the less. Geelong go to the Gabba with Lions playing some pretty good football at home.

So the question is, would it be foolish to invest too much into this game? when the outcome bares little significance in the grand scheme of things. Could a full on game cost us down the track.

I sorta only remembered the split round now which is a couple rounds before this, but the point is still valid to an extent.

All that being said I hope we flog the cats and stamp ourselves as a great team.

hAyES
Club Player

Whether we win or not, the game needs to be close just for the players' belief, and to show that we truly are contenders. If it's a blowout then we lose credibility. So yeah, I think it's a blockbuster.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I would love to beat them simply becasue I am sick to death of hearing about how impenetrable they are but in all honesty, if we were to get within say three goals, I reckon we would walk away pleased on 3 levels:
1) we can compete 2) we would have learned plenty 3) we won't have used up our victory against a side that never loses!

Ideally, someone else will knock 'em off before we get to them. West Coast, Freo (both at Subiaco???) or Port Adelaide (at Skilled)...

Hmmm .... I'm dreamin' aren't I.

nathan000
Club Player

Yes. Saints have to go out there and be competitive or else all hope will be lost and this season has been a waste. I think Geelong will go out there wanting to prove they are still number one as well. Both teams will come to play.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

And of course there is no animosity between the two sides - Huh - If you think that re-watch the 2004 Wizard Cup and the comments re one A. Hamill!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintDebi
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
Ideally, someone else will knock 'em off before we get to them. West Coast, Freo (both at Subiaco???) or Port Adelaide (at Skilled)...

Hmmm .... I'm dreamin' aren't I.
We can hope......

The Sainter
Club Player

They are calling the Melb v Collingwood game this Monday as a blockbuster in the Herald Sun :oops: They have won 6 games between them this year, some damn blockbuster :P :P :P :P If the Cats and us are still unbeaten for the 14th game what will this stupid paper call this match then as it would be 26 wins between the two teams?

saint3d
Club Player

The Sainter wrote:They are calling the Melb v Collingwood game this Monday as a blockbuster in the Herald Sun :oops: They have won 6 games between them this year, some damn blockbuster :P :P :P :P If the Cats and us are still unbeaten for the 14th game what will this stupid paper call this match then as it would be 26 wins between the two teams?
A preview.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I take it back then :P :P lol
Just hope we have some left in the tank for the trip to perth.

Wasnt our loss to WCE last year after our stella victory over the Hawks :wink: This sorta says what i meant by the post.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

hAyES wrote:Whether we win or not, the game needs to be close just for the players' belief, and to show that we truly are contenders. If it's a blowout then we lose credibility. So yeah, I think it's a blockbuster.
Credibility? Who cares?

If we lose to Geelong by 60 points in round 14...do you really think it will be weighing heavily on the players 2, almost 3 months later...
I'd hope we aren't that mentally fragile..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
hAyES wrote:Whether we win or not, the game needs to be close just for the players' belief, and to show that we truly are contenders. If it's a blowout then we lose credibility. So yeah, I think it's a blockbuster.
Credibility? Who cares?

If we lose to Geelong by 60 points in round 14...do you really think it will be weighing heavily on the players 2, almost 3 months later...
I'd hope we aren't that mentally fragile..
Yes I think it would as it would any side. We need to play weel against them. It is our home game so that is in our favour.

starsign
Club Player

All that being said I hope we flog the cats and stamp ourselves as a great team.
The last day in September is the time to
stamp ourselves as a great team.
Won't worry me if we lose to them actually, though not get flogged
Just give them enough to possibly think about as they play the rest of the H & A out extremely confident of taking the flag again
No hurry on bringing back Max and/or Goose either
Lets keep something in the way of possible team improvement up our sleeves also
I seriously think we stand to gain more from an "honorable loss" as the cards are stacked at present and have expanded on this in other threads ,so won't repeat myself here.

Actually, here's a thought..... what if Roo "turns his ankle " late in the game R13 and "just doesn't quite get up" for the clash... and possibly Goose gets a run then , with him and Koz sharing the 2 key forward roles ,and we go down unscathed by a couple of goals?

Pretty good result I'd recon
(Although if we win it may then have the reverse effect !)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 14, Really a blockbuster?

Griggsy wrote:I really hope so as it would be amazing as a spectator. But I was putting some thought into this game. On that slight chance that both teams are 13-0, will the saints and cats really go all out? Bragging rights are all thats at stake, top 2 virtually set and to me 1st is the same as 2nd, has the same advantages.

Yes they will...and will not matter if either team drops agame or two prior either.

Both teams and coaches will want to try and get an edge.

However last year...Cats rolled Hawks in the H&A..and the lost the GF.

Saints rolled Hawks in the H&A...then Hawks rolled us in the finals.

Froma spectator point of view the game will have all the hype ofa final and will be sell-out or close too it (though that does not mean all seats will be full..ie Medallion Club. Members that don't turn up etc..).

The build up will be good experience for our players.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....