Stevie J

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Stevie J

I was thinking last night who would we put on Stevie J. The first guy that came to mind was Sean Dempster.

Im thinking wed play Dempster on him - if that failed then Max. And last resort Sammy Fisher.

Thoughts?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Maxie!

suss
Club Player

He's their best forward so you should put our best backman on him. From memory Gilbert played on him in the finals last year without much success. I'm thinking Max...when he's 100% he's still our best backman.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

There's no way Max will take Johnson. He spends way too much time up the ground for Max. My guess is Gilbert will get first crack and then Fisher if that doesn't work. Max will probably take Mooney.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stevie J

Con Gorozidis wrote:I was thinking last night who would we put on Stevie J. The first guy that came to mind was Sean Dempster.

Im thinking wed play Dempster on him - if that failed then Max. And last resort Sammy Fisher.

Thoughts?
dempster wuld not be ready to play on Johnson. Dempster has only just started playing again this week. it would take him a number of games to get back to what he was playing like before the knee. probably won't come back into the seniors untill near the end of the year or if the saints had many injuries (hope not)

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:There's no way Max will take Johnson. He spends way too much time up the ground for Max. My guess is Gilbert will get first crack and then Fisher if that doesn't work. Max will probably take Mooney.
Yep. Even Fisher from the outset. Gilbert I think would absolutely smash Mooney at ground level and in the air. Just that kind of match up.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He is in brilliant form, and I think very difficult to match up on. It needs to be someone that even though they may lose a few rounds, will still manage to pick themselves up and keep trying. That makes me lean towards Fisher, experience and a little older and wiser?

spert
Saintsational Legend

SFisher is an elite backman, SJ is an elite forward, so there's your matchup..but the midfielders need to drop back and cramp SJ's movement when the ball is in his area.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stevie J

saintly wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I was thinking last night who would we put on Stevie J. The first guy that came to mind was Sean Dempster.

Thoughts?
dempster wuld not be ready to play on Johnson. Dempster has only just started playing again this week. it would take him a number of games to get back to what he was playing like before the knee. probably won't come back into the seniors untill near the end of the year or if the saints had many injuries (hope not)
i mean in finals. im not too fussed about round 14.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:He is in brilliant form, and I think very difficult to match up on. It needs to be someone that even though they may lose a few rounds, will still manage to pick themselves up and keep trying. That makes me lean towards Fisher, experience and a little older and wiser?
my issue is if u put fisher on him you lose fishers run. i like having fisher on the 3rd forward to he can run off him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Isn't SJ playinga lot as a mid this year??

(serious question as I have not really been watching Cats games this year)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:SFisher is an elite backman, SJ is an elite forward, so there's your matchup..but the midfielders need to drop back and cramp SJ's movement when the ball is in his area.
yeah but SF is not really a stopper. hes too important to our team for that.
thats why i like SD.

hAyES
Club Player

I prefer Fisher as a lock-down defender because he rarely gets beaten, and I think if you can stop Johnson it goes a hell of a long way to beating Geelong because without him it's a pretty average forward line that's made to look good because of their midfield. I'd say give Fisher the first crack at him and hope Johnson goes kick chasing and takes himself out of their F50. If that fails, Gilbert is probably the next option.

Who I definately don't want to see on him is Blake. If Blake goes to Johnson he will run rings around him and we will probably get smashed.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Who's Stevie J?

I looked through the Kangaroos list and I can't find him.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I'd say Gilbert, he is a much improved player, and held an inform motlop to just 2 goals I think it was, while getting plenty of it himself. Giblo can also hurt Stevie J the other way. Max would be good, but when Stevie J wonders outa the 50 I would worry.

Carpe Diem
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Stevie J is a great lead-up forward, but I wonder what he'd do without receiving the ball on a platter.

The trouble with putting effort into shutting him down is the Cats find too many scoring opportunities without him. Choking the supply would be my number one priority.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Blake. Lacks great footy smarts which would be an issue but could go with him for pace and has the height factor. Also has an engine to run all day.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:Who's Stevie J?

Exactly - why the hell is everyone so hung up about Geelong at the moment??

We have another 3 teams we have to deal with before we play Geelong in 4 weeks time

Anything can happen in that time and there is even a chance that SJ might not even be playing and believe it or not there is also a chance that Geelong don't make it too the last Saturday in September :shock:

All this talk of us playing Geelong in the Grand Final is shite - on form the chances are we could play the Bulldogs (or we might not make it at all :( )

NORTH MELBOURNE people we play NORTH MELBOURNE KANGAROOS this weekend

Hey I know you are only discussing certain future scenarios but seriously enough of the Geelong crap already - we will deal with them in 4 weeks time :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
nathan000
Club Player

Gilbert as twice the player he was last year. He has the strength and speed to keep up with Steve Johnson and has the ability to make him be accountable as well.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If they have Hawkins, Mooney and Johnson, then: Goose on Hawkins, Zac on Mooney and Max on Johnson. Either Sam Gilbert, or Sam Fisher across half forward/leading up to the wings, to allow Nick and Kosi to stay deep forward, as Buddy and Roughead did for Hawthorn last year.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:Who's Stevie J?

Exactly - why the hell is everyone so hung up about Geelong at the moment??

We have another 3 teams we have to deal with before we play Geelong in 4 weeks time

Anything can happen in that time and there is even a chance that SJ might not even be playing and believe it or not there is also a chance that Geelong don't make it too the last Saturday in September :shock:

All this talk of us playing Geelong in the Grand Final is shite - on form the chances are we could play the Bulldogs (or we might not make it at all :( )

NORTH MELBOURNE people we play NORTH MELBOURNE KANGAROOS this weekend

Hey I know you are only discussing certain future scenarios but seriously enough of the Geelong crap already - we will deal with them in 4 weeks time :twisted:
so what. given none of us are actually in the team and this is a footy forum. i think its ok to discuss hypothetical scenarios.

if we were actually playing - then yes - we should focus on the kangaroos - but given we are fans - and what we focus on does not effect the teams performance one iota (i know some of you like to believe it does). im happy to discuss stevie j and the cats and possible match ups. it is also relevant because it involves sean dempsters current re-hab from injury - and i am suggesting he is important for us going forward.

so devilhead - unless you are actually IN the 22 this week. then you should stop pretending you are.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Goodard anybody? got the strength,speed,skills to go with SJ.I know we get good use out of him elsewhere,anyway just a though.

Good to have options to look at.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

dempster won't be ready to play by round 14. he iswill only be playing in teh vfl reserves for the next three weeks as the seniors do not have a game.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:dempster won't be ready to play by round 14. he iswill only be playing in teh vfl reserves for the next three weeks as the seniors do not have a game.
two weeks, actually. stupid to have a break in the vfl.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

so what. given none of us are actually in the team and this is a footy forum. i think its ok to discuss hypothetical scenarios.

if we were actually playing - then yes - we should focus on the kangaroos - but given we are fans - and what we focus on does not effect the teams performance one iota (i know some of you like to believe it does). im happy to discuss stevie j and the cats and possible match ups. it is also relevant because it involves sean dempsters current re-hab from injury - and i am suggesting he is important for us going forward.

so devilhead - unless you are actually IN the 22 this week. then you should stop pretending you are.
The problem or should i say the boredom lies in the fact that when we do come to play Geelong (in 4 weeks time) this subject will be 100% fully rehashed again under another topic title

But hey you are right you can discuss whatever you like on this forum and if you really feel the need to talk about our potential match-ups for a player that may or may not be playing against in 4 weeks time then knock your self out :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!