We will NOT win a premiership without Jason blake

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

We will NOT win a premiership without Jason blake

The general consensus on here seems to be that Blake is useless and shouldn't be in the team. To be fair, its not everyone, but a select few who are saying this but in any case, to say that Blake is useless is to show that you have no clue.

What Blake does is very important - his role of being one of our primarily defensive defenders (or in other words a stopper, rather than a loose man in defence) is crucial to our success. If we were to let a couple of average weeks cloud our judgment, then of course we'd want him out.

The fact is Jason Blake is an integral part of the team and a huge reason why our defese has been so bloody tight this year. Even when the bloke does something right, he NEVEr gets the accolades he deserves. EVERY game I have been to this year and every one I have watched has provided me with three or four genuinely brilllant acts, whether it be a mark in defense (often contested) or a clever passage of play set up by him or just a one percenter - just something that shows exactly how important he is.

I think along with Gilbert, Montagna and Goddard, blake is one of our best improved players this year. People say to drop him after one or two average performances - I say drop him and we will start to leak more goals and hence, may lose a few.

if we make the Grand Final this year, I hope Blake is in the team - otherwise it is going to be that much harder.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

who would u drop for Hudghton?

IMO he's the weakest link in our back 6

Blake, Dawson, Baker
Gilbert, Fisher, Goddard

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: We will NOT win a premiership without Jason blake

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:The fact is Jason Blake is an integral part of the team and a huge reason why our defese has been so bloody tight this year. Even when the bloke does something right, he NEVEr gets the accolades he deserves. EVERY game I have been to this year and every one I have watched has provided me with three or four genuinely brilllant acts, whether it be a mark in defense (often contested) or a clever passage of play set up by him or just a one percenter - just something that shows exactly how important he is.
"genuinely brilliant"?

g ablett jr. buddy franklin. nick dal santo. chris judd. steve johnson.

jason blake?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:who would u drop for Hudghton?

IMO he's the weakest link in our back 6

Blake, Dawson, Baker
Gilbert, Fisher, Goddard
Surely Baker's the closest to going out of what you've listed.

That said, I'd suggest Raph is actually part of our back six and Goddard plays through the middle.

And in that case, I'd suggest Raph's probably the one who'd have to make way.

Even then, with Maxy's relatively dubious footskills, I think Max throws the balance out of whack.

For Raph's current deficiencies, we know he can be a valuable back half spark, cary and run, so he's probably worth persisting with for a bit longer to see if he can find a little of last year's magic again.

So back to Baker...

But surely his team ethic, hardness and presence is an asset in itself?

Tis a conundrum...

I honestly don't know what I'd do.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

One of our weak links in the past has also been some players kept getting injured and were continually in and out of the team.

This resulted in an unsettled side .. plus it never helps having injured players sitting on the interchange bench.

Blake has been durable , touch wood, and so has been a solid contributor to the team.

kaos theory
Club Player

One major benefit of Blake is his versitility. He is not a highly skilled or quick player but a great utility that works very hard.

If we have a ruckman go down in a final, blake can change role and play ruck. And through his mobility around a contest bring an extra dynamic to our play.

Do we all remember the hawks game last yr in the H&A? Blake in the ruck in the thrid qtr turned the game for us.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:The general consensus on here seems to be that Blake is useless and shouldn't be in the team. .
No, I think that is what some have said and that it is nota general view at all.

I believe personally that Blake is deserving of a place in our best 22 at present.

However I would not say at all that we cannot win a flag without Blake. Goose, Dempster could both for example be used in the backline later this season.

I expect Blake to hold his spot....but the emergence of Zac throws up a dilemna if all of Max, Goose, Dempster, Blake are fit and in form at the same time as BJ, Gilbert, S Fisher and Baker.

In such a scenario no player will deserve to be left out...but also true is not all of that group can be in the one 22.

Core players that we would struggle to win a flag without:

Most important: Hayes and Roo = our most vital two players

Next tier: Dal, BJ, Joey, Max ,

Then: Kosi, Gardi, King, Ball....

We could win with one or two from the 2nd or 3rd tiers....though against red-hot Cats it would make it hard.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I would hazard a guess that Jason Blake has had more written about him on this Board than any other player. It seems that anyone in the last six is doomed to this fate.

Perhaps brilliant is too strong a word, but on the other hand, I am yet to see any of the aforementioned group contest centre bounces, nullify and then take possession and handpass to a runner. Whilst this role has diminished because of the 2 ruckman policy (we needed a new coach to do it), he still has this flexibility. He can play back on talls and smalls and take a contested mark. He kicking has improved greatly and is now about 85% effective, second only to Zac Dawson I think. As mentioned elsewhere, his major "fault" is the frees he concedes (2 this week), but to be fair, all close checking backman do that these days eg Scarlett had one free against.

His aerobic capacity also comes in handy providing more break time for our midfields through a somewhat complex swap process. He often has 100% game time.

I don't think he is the number 1 crucial player in the team (Riewoldt is) but it would be very hard for any one player (Goddard is about the only one) to cover his role.

Bagging certain players is more a tactic to advance the interests of players not currently in the team. No matter how obvious his role and abilities are, he will continue to be the subject of debate on this Board. I hope he has better things to do than to read it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

On Saturday night, with Goddard up forward and Raph struggling in the air, we struggled early with there marking forwards.

Hudghton is the best spoiler in the team.

However, he's not a runner and not creative. He's not the same type of player Raph is. It's not a fair trade.

I just don't think you can have Hudghton, Blake and Dawson all in the same team... u lose run

one can argue that having all 3 in the team frees up a Goddard, or Fisher to play further up the ground but then lose run from the backline... and with Gilbert there 2, we're far too top heavy down back.

it doesn't work.

So i reiterate, who do you drop Blake or Dawson

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:....So i reiterate, who do you drop Blake or Dawson
Neither. Both can spoil when required AND take a requested mark AND kick to a teammate. I'm not sure how much more obvious the comparison with you know who can be.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
skeptic wrote:....So i reiterate, who do you drop Blake or Dawson
Neither. Both can spoil when required AND take a requested mark AND kick to a teammate. I'm not sure how much more obvious the comparison with you know who can be.
sorry perfectionist, i've been up since about 0400 and am struggling to grasp where u're going here

bob__71
Club Player

Max will get a go at some stage...if he doesnt it will be a good thing, because it will mean that there are no injuries or losses. It is great to have such a capable replacement waiting in the wings.

I am also sure that Max would understand that he is still playing a valuable role for the team. Because the team is more than just the 22 who take to the field. And I always hear good things about Max's love of the team, so I'm sure he is comfortable playing his role.

I dont think Blake or Dawson deserve to be dropped. They are after all playing the key defensive posts in the best defence in the league.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

If we truly can't win the flag with him out we're obviously not that good.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

gives away too many stupid frees due to his lack of ability and awareness. Kicking skills are fair to poor. Goes ok with spoils. In my opinion we can win with or without him and i would prefer max in or goose

#1 Ryder fan
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:gives away too many stupid frees due to his lack of ability and awareness. Kicking skills are fair to poor. Goes ok with spoils. In my opinion we can win with or without him and i would prefer max in or goose
And we then lose a ton of flexibility. Max is one demensional, and Goose has the turning circle of the Queen Mary.

Neither are a utility.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Does Blake make mistakes, yes. Does Reiwoldt make mistakes, yes. I love Blake, you won't hear a bad word about him out of my mouth. Yes there is room for Max in this side and I hope its soon.

3 players you could drop for Max - Raph, Gram or Bakes but definately not Dawson or Blake. They have earned their spots and should keep it.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Richter
SS Life Member

I suppose it makes for good debate, but the reality is that JB, whilst being a valuable member of the team, is not a VITAL part of it in the way that say Kosi, Roo, Lenny, Sam Fisher, Dal, Goddard or even Luke Ball is.

He'll most likely play the rest of the year, but it would hardly surprise if he loses out - he plays 3rd Tall - when Max gets back he'll be competing with Goose, Dempster, Raph and Zac for his spot.

IMO Baker is less likely to go - simply because there isn't really anyone else to man up on the smaller forwards. I see Bakes as likely to get Steve Johnson in round 14.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:The general consensus on here seems to be that Blake is useless and shouldn't be in the team. To be fair, its not everyone, but a select few who are saying this but in any case, to say that Blake is useless is to show that you have no clue.

What Blake does is very important - his role of being one of our primarily defensive defenders (or in other words a stopper, rather than a loose man in defence) is crucial to our success. If we were to let a couple of average weeks cloud our judgment, then of course we'd want him out.

The fact is Jason Blake is an integral part of the team and a huge reason why our defese has been so bloody tight this year. Even when the bloke does something right, he NEVEr gets the accolades he deserves. EVERY game I have been to this year and every one I have watched has provided me with three or four genuinely brilllant acts, whether it be a mark in defense (often contested) or a clever passage of play set up by him or just a one percenter - just something that shows exactly how important he is.

I think along with Gilbert, Montagna and Goddard, blake is one of our best improved players this year. People say to drop him after one or two average performances - I say drop him and we will start to leak more goals and hence, may lose a few.

if we make the Grand Final this year, I hope Blake is in the team - otherwise it is going to be that much harder.
well at least you are consistent with your name. onlya true one eyed supoprter could have written that...

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:If we truly can't win the flag with him out we're obviously not that good.
one of the most confusing comments i've ever read. i have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say.

who is we? is the first we the same as the second we? isn't blake part of the we, anyway?

spert
Saintsational Legend

10 wins out of 10 games , the best defence in the comp -the best defence we have ever had I reckon, probably the best percentage the club has had at this stage in its existance ..yet people think there is a probelm.??

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Richter wrote: IMO Baker is less likely to go - simply because there isn't really anyone else to man up on the smaller forwards. I see Bakes as likely to get Steve Johnson in round 14.
its funny this thread has turned to the anti-blake camp
Given Baker's current form, size and aerial ability, the very thought that he would line up on Johnson scares the bejeebies out of me.
If ANYONE would be best suited to Johnson, it would be Max.
That said he would have to be 100% ready for a 4 quarter game against one of the best running forwards going around.
But I think we are all suffering a little bit of amnesia as to his strengths and weaknesses. He had great closing speed, pretty good overhead, he was good at creating a stoppage...but he was not blessed with line busting runs and his disposal was always suspect. (probably because he was born in the era of just clearing the ball to the boundary line was win)

But back to the OP, I just dont get why people hang the lesser stars on the list when they make mistakes but completely accept Goddard or NDS clangers of equal or greater significance.

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:On Saturday night, with Goddard up forward and Raph struggling in the air, we struggled early with there marking forwards.

Hudghton is the best spoiler in the team.

However, he's not a runner and not creative. He's not the same type of player Raph is. It's not a fair trade.

I just don't think you can have Hudghton, Blake and Dawson all in the same team... u lose run

one can argue that having all 3 in the team frees up a Goddard, or Fisher to play further up the ground but then lose run from the backline... and with Gilbert there 2, we're far too top heavy down back.

it doesn't work.

So i reiterate, who do you drop Blake or Dawson
I totally agree. That is where it is going to be hard for Max at the moment to get into the side. Dawson cannot be dropped and Blake still has at least 1-2 chances left if not more. Having said that Max deserves his chance as well but it is a hard game footy and I think he will have to wait at least another gamne or two.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I'm assuming this is in relation to my post.

It still has not explained why when we were up against two BIG KPP we used our best running defender as a KPD or stopper. Blake was forced to play as a back pocket.

On the weekend there were times when we were forced to play raph clarke, once again a rebounding defender on the oppositions best leading forward in bate.

Finals time and we play geelong

who plays on the big two in mooney and hawkins?

who plays on the medium forwards in johnson and chapman.

max would be perfect for the medium forward, but can we afford to use him in this position if we have no confidence in blake to do a KP defensive job.

Love neil but worried that he is being played for flexibility sake, kind of like taking in an extra seamer in the cricket team because you don't rate the spinner.

I look forward to seeing who blake plays on this week. Good chance for him to play on a big forward.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
halcyon

Unfortunately Blakey gets no support from a lot of saints supporters who only seem to remember the clangers etc like he's the only player in the side who ever makes them...Other players seem to get a lot more latitude from supporters.

He's been used by multiple coaches in a variety of roles over his career some have worked well, others haven't. However regardless of the sh*t sandwiches that coaches have given him over the years (i.e. playing him out of position in the ruck when he's at an obvious physical disadvantage) he goes in to battle each week and gives his best for the club...A club full of supporters who continually choose to bag him as soon as he puts a foot wrong. He will continue to prove them wrong like he has for the last 10 years, because only crap players last that long in the AFL system right?

Given the lack of respect he gets from saints fans, IMO he should have gone to the Hawks or one of the interstate teams who were interested in him a couple years ago - better cash, more opportunity and respect. I guess he rates something called loyalty.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

halcyon wrote:Unfortunately Blakey gets no support from a lot of saints supporters who only seem to remember the clangers etc like he's the only player in the side who ever makes them...Other players seem to get a lot more latitude from supporters.

He's been used by multiple coaches in a variety of roles over his career some have worked well, others haven't. However regardless of the sh*t sandwiches that coaches have given him over the years (i.e. playing him out of position in the ruck when he's at an obvious physical disadvantage) he goes in to battle each week and gives his best for the club...A club full of supporters who continually choose to bag him as soon as he puts a foot wrong.
all true.

doesn't go any distance to prove that he's good, though, only that he tries hard.

if you think he's good you should be able to prove it. similarly if you think he's crap.