We need Baker in the team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

We need Baker in the team

when the tough gets going Baker is in the side When we play Geelong in a few weeks time they are going to come out and try to smash us early like last year finals we missed him last year where it matted most the finals

trevor barker
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

I agree.

He seems to be tiring a bit, and I think that might account for a couple of mistakes against Brisbane.

But he sets the tone in this team. We missed him badly last year.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Normally I would agree, but the he looks like he is in panic mode everytime he goes for the ball atm, fumbles and rushes his kicks a lot. Has the pace of the game caught up with him?

d roit
Club Player

I love bakes and the way he goes about his footy, but recently ive had the impression as though he doesnt really have a place in the team. He's no longer our no.1 tagger, he's 29 and as some posted earlier does seem a bit panicky everytime he gets the ball.

I do notice his 1%'s each week, dont get me wrong on that; but maybe his time is running up?

I love seeing him run out on the pitch, but unless his form picks up i think a straight swap for dempster (when he's fit) would be for the benefit of our team and our defensive structure.

StSteven
Club Player

I agree he is tiring. While he was our obvious choice to play on Ablett, I doubt he could do it now with GA's improvement and Bake's slowing down.

busso mick
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:Normally I would agree, but the he looks like he is in panic mode everytime he goes for the ball atm, fumbles and rushes his kicks a lot. Has the pace of the game caught up with him?
Apart from his love for a contest, the stand out feature about Bakes (prior to his injury last year) was his clean hands and ability to grab a ball in a contest and get it off quickly. That appears to have deserted him at the moment, which could point to a fitness issue or lack of confidence. It is easy to forget how skilled he was in a contested situation, maybe his extended break from the game has affected his confidence levels. Or as you say BBMD the pace of the game has found him wanting.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

he's been down for a couple of weeks. i hope it's just a minor form slump because he is a tough nut that we need at his best.

To the top
SS Life Member

Out - for Max

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

maybe rest him for a week or 2 b4 the break

Griggsy
SS Life Member

At the start of the season he was being called the spiritual leader of the team. He's a tough cookie. Bakes brings a hardness to the table that those fighting for a spot just don't have.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Give the bloke a go, he had a long time off, he'll be fine once he gets his touch back.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

The Saintsational Man wrote:Give the bloke a go, he had a long time off, he'll be fine once he gets his touch back.
Agree hat he needs time, but maybe Sandy is a better option for him to get his touch back, get the confidence up.

Carpe Diem
starsign
Club Player

Just a theory but....
The reason why CJ has had 10 scalps so far is that each has known if they start firing they will get Bakes moved on to them!!

He's CJ 's secret weapon , and reminds his opponent each week at the first bounce that Bakes is just itching to have a crack at them!

He's OK in there for mine, and i would have him one of the 1st picked regardless!!

widereceiver
Club Player

I love the way Bakes goes about it but I wonder if he's suited to HBF.
CJ has certainly taken his previous gig and I agree with some of the posters who say he looks less sharp than formerly.
I don't believe he is the spiritual leader of the team, I think that's #7, but he's the sort of player you'd love to be in the trenches with.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar