Which team would win?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Which team would win?

Baker - Dawson - Gilbert
Goddard - Blake - S.Fisher
Ray - Hayes - Montagna
Gwilt - Riewoldt - McQualter
Schneider - Koschitzke - Milne

Gardiner
Dal Santo
Jones

King, Ball, Gram, Geary

Which seems to be the Round 1-10 best team. Before there is a debate about Goddrad on half back remember he would be playing as a midfielder as all team have at least one if not two half forwards that push up into the midfield.

VERSUS

Baker - Dawson - Hudghton
Goddard - Maguire - S. Fisher
Ray - Hayes - Montagna
Gilbert - Riewoldt - McQualter
Schneider - Koschitzke - Milne

Gardiner
Dal Santo
Jones

King, Ball, Gram, Geary

IN: Maguire, Hudghton
OUT: Blake, Gwilt

Armitage VERY unlucky not to be in the side and should be in whenever Milne, Schneider, McQualter, Ball or Hayes is injured. He could be swapped for McQualter as a tough tackling half forward if he had the same intense discipline to tag the running half back that McQualter has as he has more attacking weapons. However McQualter in the side also gives more flexibility - in case of the need of an extra defensive small.

There is no doubt in my mind that the second team is 2 to 3 goals better than the first side on average ... but like any game the form of the two "ins" and "outs" can make that small difference to the performance of the side.

More flexibility.

Gilbert replacing Gwilt as the lead up marking forward is a vast improvement.

Hudghton to the back pocket to take the smaller or mid sized leading forward strong overhead is his perfect position ...

Maguire for Blake is taking away some defensive accountability for some additional attacking flair. They both have similar strengths. Both can play back or forward and even as smaller sized ruckman / followers. Maguire just adds attacking flair and stronger tackling presence and can be swung forward to mix things up ... i.e. Gilbert to the backline and Riewoldt plays more of the lead up / lead back forward role.

The other factor and this is important ... I think Hudghton and Maguire will stand up better than Gwilt and Blake to the blowtorch called Geelong.

I think both Blake and Gwilt are great players and clubmen, I just think we are better / stronger with Hudghton and Maguire.

I think these changes will happen with injuries OR after our first loss.

If we keep winning until the Geelong game, then I think the changes will be made after the Geelong game - win or lose.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

wow and I thought everyone would have an opinion!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

:oops:

I get disapointed when people don't respond to my threads, my opinion for what it's worth....

Max will return this week for sure, but I am not so sure about Goose....I think maybe after the break.
Last edited by SainterK on Tue 02 Jun 2009 3:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:wow and I thought everyone would have an opinion!
i like the second team better.

problem is the first team just keeps on winning (if you can call that a problem) and until they lose one it is going to be harder to get out of the side than into it.

blake would be stiff to miss, but i do like the addition of gilbert to the half forward line.

Batnoe

St.Kilda would

shmic_s
Club Player

I would have to agree that the second line up looks stronger and maintains our flexability. The big 'if' is if Maguire can hold down CHB in a premiership winning side.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Why not let them play off and take the winner :lol:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Neither of them are the current side.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Neither of them are the current side.
i know, but the first one is closer to the current side

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

BorderBarry - the first side is the 22 that Lyon has been going with mostly over the first 10 rounds rather than the current side ... but just for clarification .. the first 22 is the same as last week's team with R.Clarke out and Milne in.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone remember who came in to replace Raph Clark in Round 2?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Does anyone remember who came in to replace Raph Clark in Round 2?
lenny i think

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Haven't seen much to suggest Gilbert is good enough to play forward

Don't really understand this fascination ppl have with Armo. He's hardly banging the door down at Sandy
I reckon Eddys next in line as it were anyway

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Haven't seen much to suggest Gilbert is good enough to play forward

Don't really understand this fascination ppl have with Armo. He's hardly banging the door down at Sandy
I reckon Eddys next in line as it were anyway
I agree re Eddy and Armitage.

Sure Armitages is a no9 draft pick....but Eddy has "bust his balls" desire and you just cant buy that mental attitude. Ive tried and was thrown out of the supermarket when I asked for a can of it.

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Ive tried and was thrown out of the supermarket when I asked for a can of it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

personally I LOVE Rob Eddy's attitude and run

however he is competing with Clint Jones for that spot as a midfield tagger

armitage is competing with McQualter for the defensive forwrad flank

in my opinion

saint3d
Club Player

The team that Ross Lyon coaches would win.

Richter
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote:personally I LOVE Rob Eddy's attitude and run

however he is competing with Clint Jones for that spot as a midfield tagger
Don't agree - if anything Eddy is competing with Geary as a mid. Eddy offers more running athleticism which IMO we lacked against the Bombers; similar intensity of tackling; Geary a better footballer with better footskills and sense of the game.

Currently CJ has no-one that he is specifically in competition with - he is miles better than the next option for his position - previously was Baker but RL seems to prefer him back. (?Leigh Fisher is the one who would play closest to CJ - and who is putting in decent performances at Sandy too.)

I never thought I'd say it but CJ is bordering on top 10 in our side at the moment.....!!
armitage is competing with McQualter for the defensive forwrad flank

in my opinion
Agreed. Armo also cover as an inside mid - e.g. in case of injury to Lenny/Bally

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Haven't seen much to suggest Gilbert is good enough to play forward
I think he's good enough to play anywhere and would be a more dangerous option than gwilt in terms of contested marks and goals kicked. He'd also have him covered for defensive pressure.

Having said that, he's been excellent in defence all season.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Leigh Fisher is the one who would play closest to CJ - and who is putting in decent performances at Sandy too
he's the forgotten man, isn't he. got a lot of the ball on sunday and is a ready-made replacement for a few guys. an under-rated and under-appreciated player imo.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

2nd team for me. A team with Max in the backline commanding the troops is what i want. Could leave Gilbo in the backline, maybe not to shake it up too much. He and the backline have been playing well as a unit, cant mix all of it up. Maguire has been playing forward for Sandy and proved he is capable with two bags of 5. Whether he can do the same against an AFL standard backline, who knows?, there is only one way to find out. Just don't expect 5goals in a team with roo and kosi. But 2 a game would be a great contribution.

Also Maguire could bring his defensive awareness to the forwards, adding to that pressure we have dealt all year to the opposition.

starsign
Club Player

Posted this elsewhere , but I think BJ could well be the key to us winning a flag !

If we can work through to September tweaking the back half to possibly include back to best Max & Goose , but more importantly, maintain their great momentum without Goddards presence ...
Then the wide open spaces down forward at the MCG would be ideal for BJ to create absolute havoc a la West Coast with even more space to work together with Roo & Kozi than Docklands

At the start of the season I thought if we could play him in the midfield in a similar role to Goodes he could also win a Brownlow, (still do) but after seeing his outburst v WCE and witnessing what he offers down there in short visits since , I recon RL has him up his sleeve as the big (perhaps not so secret) weapon come September!

Number 18..... Brendon J Goddard Norm Smith Medal !
can anyone else see this ?
or is it just too fanciful of a dream .....
.......and from St Kilda .....Number 18.....
Brrrrrendon Goddard Norm Smith Medal !