After having time to think

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

After having time to think

It's always interesting how you view a game after you have had time to reflect on it.
Though my opinion of last night is still the same, we didn't play at no where near our best and the worry is some players may have put themselves on cruise control thinking their spots are pretty safe save injury.
However, there may be reasons for the lack of performance last night and number one may be simply the venue and lack of crowd participation due to lack of crowd.
Why this shouldn't affect our ability to play, it can because the players just can't get as gee'd up as they would would have in front of 30,000+ supporters at Docklands.
We also seem to have had trouble kicking scores over the last 3 weeks which was demonstrated last night where we kicked 3.11 to 1 end of the ground.
Many of these goals we're more than getable.
We also consistently missed easy targets in the field and handballed directly to the opposition.
Then, as Murphy's law dictates, the week I praise our lack of suspensions and reports for the year, Michael Gardiner shows a bit too much bravado and will hopefully receive a lenient sentence.
But the game is over and now we concentrate on next week and we will need two obvious changes barring a miracle.
McEvoy will come in for Gardiner, and that in the long term may be a good thing in the long term, McEvoy get's some more experience and improves on his showing against Collingwood and Gardiner get's a good rest.
Two Milne comes in probably for Gwilt, Raph was awful in the first half, but was much improved in the second.
If Gwilt had nailed that 2nd goal he may have saved his spot.
However Raph may alos lose his spot for either Max or Goose, which would release either Goddard or Gilbert to go forward as the third forward.
Hopefully next week we will come out and give the Roos a real hiding and regain that momentum of not just winning, but winning with authority that makes us very scary to play and put's the opposition under pressure even before the game starts.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

good summation.

I was there last night, and I reckon that game is well inside my top 10 of worst ever seen. Turnover and flood city. We would have been toasted against anyone else.

Raph has to go. Just a woeful decision maker, when he gets round to making one. Dunno what it is, its a re occuring theme. Good form in the VFL, then that 0.5 sec. less he gets in the AFL makes all the difference.

Milne for Raph and lets re load.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Raph needs a solid month at the top level to get going. It happened last year & it will happen again.

Gwilt's biggest problem is falling over all the bloody time. Needs to keep his feet & stay in the contest.

I agree that all things being equal (& if Gilbo is ok) it should be Yapper in for Gwilt & McEvoy in for Gardiner.

I wouldn't be surprised Ross is tempted to get Max & Goose in for a good 3 week stint before the Geelong game though.

starsign
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised Ross is tempted to get Max & Goose in for a good 3 week stint before the Geelong game though.
I wouldnt be surprised if he isn't!

Be nice, but we really don't have to beat them R14, and there's still a fair bit of footy to go before the finals , and he may just like to bring them on slowly and surely, then have a few aces up his sleeve in September!!