Gwilt For McGuire?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Gwilt For McGuire?

If Gwilt is to play in the forward line then I am all for the guy getting dropped for Goose.

Matty is a better kick, a better overhead mark and has a better well equiped all round game than Gwilt.

I thought Gwilt contested as best he could, but in general doesn't look like he's ever going to take the game by the scruff of the neck. To be honest he looks afraid when lining up for goal. His pace is poor and he isn't a good enough overhead mark for his height and doesn't inpact on a game for someone of his physique.

Bottom line Matty has more of an offensive game, more mongrel and fight in him and if all fails can fill in on a tall in the backline and do quite an adequate job.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

You are absolutely spot on there buddy.

You are brilliant and I want to boof you!

widereceiver
Club Player

And Goose is so quick, so quick.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
SainterX
Club Player

So what you are asking is

Is Gwilts goose cooked? :P

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

I never said Matty was quick, but atleast he is imposing.

Fuzzy is just to laid back and soft for a guy of his build.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

In the second of Maguire five-goal hauls in the V, he had something like 13 touches from 12 marks. The absence of any ground game from Goose isn't going to help him get a game with Kosi and Roo already there. It seems we're looking for someone out of that spot who can take a mark and win the ball at ground level. We don't need another key forward.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

gwilt is doing his job fine hes the perfect decoy forward yes he doesnt kick alot of goals but watch the game closly he is there giving body position to allow Roo and kosi to be the focal point i reckon he will be safe if Goose is gunna get back in the team it will be in the defencive side honestly ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
starsign
Club Player

if we can juggle the defence a bit soon to include maybe Max and Dempster then BJ's the man for the 3rd marking forward for mine
Remember the speckies he took in his first few games? That was obviously discouraged , but he's a natural
Think he popped up down there in fine fashion early on last night

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

before his injury, maguire was fast in a straight line chase, or a straight line run.

He was a geniune athletic player.

how much of his pace has been lost in the past 3 years will be interesting to see.

i still remember johncocks face when maguire ran him down from behind and tackled him beautifully a few years ago at full pace.

I guess tho give his mass unit physique his ability to turn would be say limited compared to lighter build players.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I am still at the Gold Coast so I missed how Goose went today at Sandy. If heis to replace Jimmy he must have done well.Can someone tell me.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Half time at Sandy and Goose has done nothing.

He won't be replacing anyone.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
ace
Saintsational Legend

McGuire has no chance of playing for St Kilda in place of Gwilt.
Ex Collingwood players have not been a success for St Kilda so the Collingwood president will not even be considered.

Matthew Maguire has a much better chance to replace Gwilt.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
|Andy|
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:gwilt is doing his job fine hes the perfect decoy forward yes he doesnt kick alot of goals but watch the game closly he is there giving body position to allow Roo and kosi to be the focal point i reckon he will be safe if Goose is gunna get back in the team it will be in the defencive side honestly ...
I dunno what you're idea of decoy is, but Gwilt, in my opinion is not a decoy... How many times has he been the one to lead off, dragging one or two defenders with him, leaving riewoldt or kosi to run into the space he has created?? From what i recall, not that many times. Maguire would be a much better "decoy" or, forward, as defenders will actually know they have to make him accountable for.

saintDal
Club Player

Who is this Mcguire you speak of?

saint vince
Club Player

|Andy| wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:gwilt is doing his job fine hes the perfect decoy forward yes he doesnt kick alot of goals but watch the game closly he is there giving body position to allow Roo and kosi to be the focal point i reckon he will be safe if Goose is gunna get back in the team it will be in the defencive side honestly ...
I dunno what you're idea of decoy is, but Gwilt, in my opinion is not a decoy... How many times has he been the one to lead off, dragging one or two defenders with him, leaving riewoldt or kosi to run into the space he has created?? From what i recall, not that many times. Maguire would be a much better "decoy" or, forward, as defenders will actually know they have to make him accountable for.
So when Roo and Kosi are leading into space in the forward 50 which they do regualarly where is Gwilt. He has already lead out of the way which ha created the space. I amnot sure of that many times that Gwilt has been anywhere near Roo or Kosi when they are on the lead.

He was used in the first half last night because his opponent was sagging off him to block the hole. When they had to man him up Roo cut loose.

i believe that heis playing the decoy role beautifully.

thequarry
Club Player

Gwilt's role as a decoy isn't necessarily what bothers me, it's his slow decision making, often clumsy disposal and ineffective defensive pressure. In his current form, he is too easy to get around and get past if the ball is in his vicinity.

And it would be nice if he kicked a few more goals...

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:McGuire has no chance of playing for St Kilda in place of Gwilt.
Ex Collingwood players have not been a success for St Kilda so the Collingwood president will not even be considered.
Im confussed here, isnt Eddie McGuire a goose :)

Before Im 85
Milton66
SS Life Member

82% efficiency last nite. :roll:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?