'Nervous gilbert Coming Home Saturday Night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

'Nervous gilbert Coming Home Saturday Night

'NERVOUS' GILBERT COMING HOME SATURDAY NIGHT
NERVOUS GILBERT HOME SATURDAY NIGHT

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page ... onID=56333
Wednesday, 27 May 2009

St.Kilda defender and Gold Coast product Sam Gilbert is used to playing at the MCG in front of 90,000 AFL fans. But according to the Gold Coast Bulletin’s Nick Smart, it is when he runs out in front of 10,000 people at Carrara that he experiences the butterflies in the pit of his stomach.

Smart today profiles the 22-year-old defender, who recently re-committed to the Saints to put himself out of reach of the Gold Coast expansion franchise.

"I played quite a few games there and it feels like home when I do play there," Gilbert told the Bulletin.

"I get a lot more nervous when I do play there because I know how many family and friends there are around me at Carrara.

"I have had a lot of messages the past couple of weeks so there are a few coming. Hopefully I can have an all right game for them."

The former Southport Shark will line up for St Kilda against Melbourne at Carrara on Saturday night.

Gilbert is arguably the most improved player in the competition this season and has become a vital cog of the Saints' backline.

He has impressed with his run off the half-back line, but has also proved he is no one-trick pony and can match it one on one.

He came of age when he shut down Magpies forward Travis Cloke earlier this season in what many believed was his best game for the club.

Gilbert put his good form down to the strong leadership at Moorabbin.

"I had a good pre-season and we have good leaders around the club that have really helped me from the start of pre-season," he said.

"Even last year to now, we have Sam Fisher there and SOS (Stephen Silvagni) our backline coach who has helped me a lot.

"There has been a lot of leadership around me that has helped me out."

Coach Ross Lyon experimented with Gilbert up forward during the NAB Cup before going down back again.

Although it was a fleeting change, he said it helped certain aspects of his game. "In the pre-season when I was playing up forward I did a lot more marking than usual so that helped me as well," he said.

Gilbert made headlines recently when he ignored the incoming Gold Coast Football Club to re-sign with St Kilda until the end of 2012.

He said he was loving life in Melbourne and never entertained the prospect of heading home.

"There were no discussions about it -- once the Saints said they wanted to re-sign me I was ready to go," he said. "I am very happy there and really enjoying my footy at the Saints."

James
Club Player

He'll do better if he's nervous. Fact of life.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
aussiejones
Club Player

"Gilbert is arguably the most improved player in the competition this season and has become a vital cog of the Saints' backline. "

Sheesh

asiu

St.Kilda defender and Gold Coast product Sam Gilbert is used to playing at the MCG in front of 90,000 AFL fans.
when?

James
Club Player

gazrat wrote:
St.Kilda defender and Gold Coast product Sam Gilbert is used to playing at the MCG in front of 90,000 AFL fans.
when?
Finals series last year?

He's never struck me as one that buckles under pressure. He just goes about his damn well business.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
stinger
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:
when?

:wink: :wink: :lol: 8-) talking about the future one would hope......and grannie crowds.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:"Gilbert is arguably the most improved player in the competition this season and has become a vital cog of the Saints' backline. "

Sheesh
Nick Smart knows his footy. 8-)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
aussiejones wrote:"Gilbert is arguably the most improved player in the competition this season and has become a vital cog of the Saints' backline. "

Sheesh
I can assure you, Nick Smart does not live by his name :roll:

A true Qld tosser.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Sheesh

A true Qld tosser.

that's a fair wack of the population isn't it....???

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Must be a buzz for him to go play in front of his family and friends, it probably doesn't happen as often as they would like....

ace
Saintsational Legend

Here, here.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Sheesh

A true Qld tosser.

that's a fair wack of the population isn't it....???
That's state-ist!

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
saintly
Saintsational Legend

well with the way he played in the first quarter dropping a few marks , he may have been nervous.