Would you donate $10 to the club to keep a home game ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

howlinwolf
Club Player

Would you donate $10 to the club to keep a home game ?

I've just been listening to KB on SEN and he asked the question ...

"Would members donate $10 to their club to retain a home game in Melbourne?"

Personally, i'd be happy to if it meant we could see this current week's game
played at the Dome.

30000 members and let's say 20000 min that would attend the game would
deliver $200 000 to the club for the game.

The reason I mention this is there is a distinct trend in clubs under pressure selling more and more home games.

The Dogs and the Roos seem to be open to any offers at the moment.

I understand from our club's perspective why they agreed to play this week's game at the Gold Coast as Melbourne would not provide us with a crowd big enough for us to turn a profit.

For us to make the similar profit the Gold Coast option would give us we'd probably need 50 000 at the Dome.

I'd hate to see the day where most of our home games are played elsewhere but the way it is i can see more and more home games going.

Thoughts ?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

It would have to be more then $10. (we get 400k just to turn up saturday night)

interestingly the argument for this moving of the game is that that extra 400k can allow you to have an extra couple of trainers, coaches and other staff. It could also contribute to some training facilities. This could be the difference over the whole season.

Interesting that tassie is in renegoiating their deal with the hawks

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:It would have to be more then $10. (we get 400k just to turn up saturday night)

interestingly the argument for this moving of the game is that that extra 400k can allow you to have an extra couple of trainers, coaches and other staff. It could also contribute to some training facilities. This could be the difference over the whole season.

WOULD HAPPILY PAY THE $10.00, BUT DO WE REALLY GET $400 THOPUSAND on Sat night, cannt see how whoever is paying us would get $400 k value

Solar
Saintsational Legend

STILLWAITING wrote:
Solar wrote:It would have to be more then $10. (we get 400k just to turn up saturday night)

WOULD HAPPILY PAY THE $10.00, BUT DO WE REALLY GET $400 THOPUSAND on Sat night, cannt see how whoever is paying us would get $400 k value
the games were taken off north after they decided not to move up to the GC full time. Thus three clubs put their hand up to play up on the GC for 400,000. It's not the worst decision, gives our QLD fans a chance to see another game, opn up our markets for more members and we don't lose money at the gate :D

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
howlinwolf
Club Player

I can see the business sense of shifting this week's game however I'd
hate to see that same rationale being used for more and more home
games.

David smorgon recently said the Dogs are prepared to play anywhere.
I don't think our deal with etihad is much better than theirs if at all.

I think it's in our own interests to think of other options to selling home
games.

Shifting one home game a year is bearable but I don't want to see the
dollar force this to become more and more common.

What other options do we have ? Maybe a little more on the membership ?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

its a simple question not taking in other factors like publicity and potential members from the chosen area that we play at

personally i wouldn't donate the $10 as its a waste of it, the club has made an educated decision to travel somewhere else to take the large amount of cash for a seemingly smaller drawing game, against a poor team at the moment

the cash plus the exposure considering our position on the ladder makes it a good decision, we can live without the game in melbourne and whilst we are up and about expose our football club to others who might not see afl, see it enough or want to see it more regardless oh who they support

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

NO on principal

Fix the stadium deal(s)

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see Saint Bev's opinion on the boys not travelling up there....

saint vince
Club Player

I heard KB and Patrick Smith talking about the stadium deals yesterday and PS was saying that the afl are taking 36 mill off the top of the deals the clubs get.

Wh cant they distribute that money between the ten tenant club and all would be good. Why exactly do the AFL need $100 mil in the bank why clubs ae going poor???

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint vince wrote:I heard KB and Patrick Smith talking about the stadium deals yesterday and PS was saying that the afl are taking 36 mill off the top of the deals the clubs get.

Wh cant they distribute that money between the ten tenant club and all would be good. Why exactly do the AFL need $100 mil in the bank why clubs ae going poor???
The AFL needs $100 million in the bank to prop up basket cases such as The Gold Coast Bears and The West Sydney Dimwitfiles.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I'd like to see Saint Bev's opinion on the boys not travelling up there....
I think NOT playing at Carrara would be a travesty of the worst kind. GC is the forgotten heartland of AFL and more than deserves as many games up here as scheduling allows. St Kilda should play at least four games at Carrara every year.

Did I mention that I, like Bev, live on the GC?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Why when the AFL are offering to donate much much more to play away.....

I can live with one.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

nahh
im happy with playing a game at the GC, gives the QLD saints a chance to watch the best team in the afl play live.
and it gets the club a bit of extra cash :)

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
python
Club Player

not really, if we all pay 10 dollars, and they only get a crowd of 20 000, would they even make a profit? Besides, we get the away game in rd 22 to go to, so it all works out in the end

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I'd like to see Saint Bev's opinion on the boys not travelling up there....
I think NOT playing at Carrara would be a travesty of the worst kind. GC is the forgotten heartland of AFL and more than deserves as many games up here as scheduling allows. St Kilda should play at least four games at Carrara every year.

Did I mention that I, like Bev, live on the GC?
I'm glad you mentioned it Thinline, never would have guessed :wink:

Well that was my point, I can only imagine how much this weekends game means to you guys.

benengel14
Club Player

You'd have to take into account the 400k payment we get
The additional gate receipt from Cararra
But most importantly we get a week's respite from the weekly docklands bill that racks up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

benengel14 wrote:

You'd have to take into account the 400k payment we get
The additional gate receipt from Cararra
But most importantly we get a week's respite from the weekly docklands bill that racks up.
We get $400k but doubt we get any gate receipts.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:its a simple question not taking in other factors like publicity and potential members from the chosen area that we play at

personally i wouldn't donate the $10 as its a waste of it, the club has made an educated decision to travel somewhere else to take the large amount of cash for a seemingly smaller drawing game, against a poor team at the moment

the cash plus the exposure considering our position on the ladder makes it a good decision, we can live without the game in melbourne and whilst we are up and about expose our football club to others who might not see afl, see it enough or want to see it more regardless oh who they support
And last but not least you left out that it enables you and I to go and watch us play :wink:

Batnoe

I wouldnt

i am a paid up member- social club and i see one game a year maybe 2 (mainly my local one)

So u are complaining because you dont get to see any footy live this weekend?

How about those that love footy just as much that donate $500 to watch one game in their home state?

If we lose this week and it doesnt end up being like a home game i can understand as wins are more important - but we could make this a strong home ground for us- just come and watch how passionate us SEQ saints are!!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
STILLWAITING wrote:

the games were taken off north after they decided not to move up to the GC full time. Thus three clubs put their hand up to play up on the GC for 400,000. It's not the worst decision, gives our QLD fans a chance to see another game, opn up our markets for more members and we don't lose money at the gate :D
If we are making that much for this one game, especially considering how jihad is ripping us of, then I am all for it.

SaintDebi
Club Player

Much as I love watching the Saints, I'd feel bad about depriving our QLD supporters of the game. But I'd happily pay $10 to keep round 14 at Etihad!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Its worked out in our favour bigtime

W'ed struggle to make a dime at ES..Dees fans never turn up there..there'll be precious little neutral interest due to the perception it will be one-sided...I reckon we'd struggle to get a crowd bigger than the one we pulled v Brissy

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

It has made absolutely no difference really.

We play 11 home games, 10 at Etihad and 1 at Carrara.

We play 11 away games, 6 in Melbourne and 5 interstate.

Meaning we play 16 in Melbourne and 6 interstate - the same as last year only with one less home game in Melbourne. The Home Game Members still get 11 games as the Round 22 away game will replace this weeks game.

The only massive difference is the 400k sitting in our pockets compared to having to pay Collo. It hasn't disadvantaged us in any way at all!

howlinwolf
Club Player

I'm not sure a lot of you understood my post.

I'll repeat that I can understand us selling this home game to the GC
considering the financial gain.

What I am wondering is how many of us will happy to see the number of
home games sold increase each year ?

Financial pressures will only increase on clubs every year and many will
have no choice but to sell multiple home games. Read ... Bulldogs

If it stays at one home game a year I can live with that but would prefer
no more.

If i had to pay extra through membership for that priviledge I would.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

s*** YEAH Id pay more to keep the same amount of home games in Melbourne. Does a bear s*** in the woods? I mean come on, we all should.

Imagine having to sell off 4 games a year? NO THANKS :twisted: