Game Changer- Matthews on Hayes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Game Changer- Matthews on Hayes

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
Saints have Hayes to thank for 9-0 record

EFFECTIVE leadership on a football field comes in many shapes and forms.

At various times it requires example-setting, instruction, encouragement or sometimes admonishment.

Occasionally, when the heat is really on, we see a player impose himself on the game through an over-the-top level of extreme desperation that makes everyone else look like they are not trying.

The strength of will becomes a powerful force that overwhelms the opposition and drags his teammates along in the slipstream.

Last Sunday against the Brisbane Lions I saw this rare occurrence take place through the efforts of St Kilda 200-gamer Lenny Hayes.

After squandering an early dominance with inaccurate conversion, the Saints had been worn down by the Lions and halfway through the final term had slipped nine points behind. The assured, confident St Kilda of the first eight rounds had been replaced at that point by an uncertain, stuttering team that had degenerated into a shadow of the polished 2009 version.

Enter Hayes, who dragged with him the emerging Leigh Montagna. With late-game fatigue setting in and in the midst of the disarray that engulfed the Saints, Hayes imposed himself on the game in the manner normally confined to the great leaders like Tony Shaw, Wayne Carey or Michael Voss.

When the pressure of a close contest is at its most intense it is the centre bounces and stoppages where the game must be won.

The captains of both teams, Nick Riewoldt and Jonathon Brown, were stationed in their respective forward 50s. They were powerless to affect the game unless the ball came into their forward half.

So it was not the skippers in the middle of the stoppage congestion. Fortunately for the Saints they had Hayes as part of their centre-square squad.

In a fleeting few moments the nine-point deficit became a nine-point lead. Three centre bounces, three clear takeaways, three quick goals. The Saints had in the blink of an eye grabbed the game back.

It was clear that in that minute or two the match did a complete U-turn in the direction it was heading.

For mine, Hayes’ efforts in the centre square inspired the lift in intensity that powered the match-winning burst. He was the primary catalyst for the St Kilda revival. He virtually willed his team over the line.

Sometimes things happen in our lives that make a lasting impression.

Back in 2004, prior to the coin toss, a meet and greet between umpires, captains and coaches was being trialled.

The Lions were playing St Kilda at Docklands when Hayes, the Saints captain at the time, approached the centre-circle gathering.

Talk about the eye of the tiger. The steel in his gaze was almost scary. This was the look of a man ready for battle. I remember hoping that his St Kilda teammates did not share this combative spirit.

Since that day back in 2004 I have always taken a special interest in his progress and have become a fan of the way he goes about his footy.

His coach Ross Lyon was quoted after the game as saying: “Lenny Hayes really lives the doctrine of great footballer, great person ... but they know when he goes down the race the gloves are off and he is a fierce competitorâ€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

As usual, Lethal is spot on, although it's no surprise to those of us who have watched Lenny over the last 11 years.

This has happened in the last two weeks where the will to win by our leaders has exerted itself over the opposition. And it's not only been Lenny. I would also include Nick Dal Santo in the same category. And we should not forget that Robert Harvey was also of similar ilk.

The Lions teams of 2001 - 2004 also displayed this characteristic so it augurs well for us at the moment. I actually think that it's an advantage that we have over Geelong, but I might be biased.

The clutch goals kicked by both Kosi and Nick R (reminiscent of Aaron Hamill) are also evidence of this team characteristic.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Great article. I doubt anyone else on this planet knows football like Lethal.
Talk about the eye of the tiger. The steel in his gaze was almost scary. This was the look of a man ready for battle. I remember hoping that his St Kilda teammates did not share this combative spirit.
His coach Ross Lyon was quoted after the game as saying: “Lenny Hayes really lives the doctrine of great footballer, great person ... but they know when he goes down the race the gloves are off and he is a fierce competitorâ€

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I have long reagrded hayes as our most importnat player...and our "natural" Cpatain.

Which is not knocking Roo who is superb, but just recognising how good the "The General" is.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Nice to have them both isn't it.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I have long reagrded hayes as our most importnat player...and our "natural" Cpatain.

Which is not knocking Roo who is superb, but just recognising how good the "The General" is.
ABSOLUTELY!

Riewoldt might be captain but Lenny is the general!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Milton66
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:Nice to have them both isn't it.
Apparently he likes Max also :wink:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

what a glowing endorsement from a game great....pretty impressive.

what I like best about Hayes is he seems so down to earth - no "on himself" at all.....and that IMO is a sign of class......someone who can take the pats on the back in their stride and be just as comfortable talking to fans in the outer.

BTW - Kosi strikes me as this also.

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

2004 at the Dome

Wasn't that the match where St Kilda was unbeaten and top of the ladder.
Brisbane were the reigning back to back to back premiers.
St Kilda well in front going into the second half of the final quarter.
Brisbane put their heads down and came back hard.
St Kilda hung on to win but Brisbane's comeback was very scarey.

This time it was St Kilda behind, put their heads down and powered to victory.
Scarey.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.