Bally & Gram...only mids not in career best form????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bally & Gram...only mids not in career best form????

One of the reasons the Saints are flying at present is that when you look at the 9 games that so many of our mids are in career best form.

Lenny: has been an elite for years..but even from that high standard Lenny seems to have lifteda cog (maybe not playing almost a lone hand has helped).

Dal: has been a much better player this year.
Joey: Has been playing elite footbal;

CJ; Has been a revelation as ore offensive midfield tag this year....has beaten all of his oppoents and has caused offensive damage while doing it.

Ray: not quite a mid, but has been part of the rotations...has according the Dogs being player better football with us.

BJ BJ has been Mr Everhwere this year ..forward, midfield, but mainly back. He has been playing very good football..almost elite.

Gram: moved to the midfield last year. Has been in ok form, but kicking has gone downhill.

Bally: Is doing all the hard stuff that you expect of Ball, and so YES his contribution has been valuable. He is playing better than in 2008...but is still short of his best. How mucof this is due to the effect of injuriews who knows???

Plus the rucks are part of the midfield structure:
Gardi: well Gardi was elite many years back...but he is ceratianly now playing his best football not just with us, but better than his last couple at West Coast.

King: While not playing as good as his peak years, King is none the lest playing very solid football.

Schneider and Milne while not playing as pure mids these two are oftenstationed further up the ground supporting our midfield efforts. Schneider is not in career best form but is delivering solid games. Milne on the other hand is a much more complete player and while at some otherstages of his career he will have averaged more golas per game he is IMO playing the best football of hs career right here and now.[/b]

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
marksnsparks
Club Player

Don't forget Mini and Geary...

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I think Mini has dropped off the last couple of weeks, but Geary has been awesome. We call him the apprentice, reminds me of a young Sam Fischer.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Saint Bev wrote:I think Mini has dropped off the last couple of weeks, but Geary has been awesome. We call him the apprentice, reminds me of a young Sam Fischer.
I agree re-Geary. He is exciting and I love watching him play. At 20, he is only going to get better.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Nobody is simply making up the numbers like in previous years.
All 22 are contributing.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:I think Mini has dropped off the last couple of weeks, but Geary has been awesome. We call him the apprentice, reminds me of a young Sam Fischer.
Apprentice, I like it....

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Ball had a good game on the weekend just needs to continue the form. 13 contested possessions, best from the saints and only beaten by brennan from the lions (15).

and if gram kicks half those shots from outside 50 we probably woulnt have a problem.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I think Bally is doing a massive amount of grunt work in the packs still, and is well and truly holding his own.

Gram should go back to basics like a golfer who's hitting his 8 iron poorly...plenty of practice with the long chipping - in Gram's case running kicks while the other blokes are doing other skills. It's the one he must focus on.

Gram - 30 metre run with a bounce - kick to a set spot - run back the other way 30 metres with a bounce - kick to a set spot. Drill it into him so it becomes second nature. It's not rocket science.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Iceman234 wrote: Gram should go back to basics like a golfer who's hitting his 8 iron poorly...plenty of practice with the long chipping - in Gram's case running kicks while the other blokes are doing other skills. It's the one he must focus on.
I hope they have someone chasing him in those drills. It would hardly be the same intensity otherwise.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:
Iceman234 wrote: Gram should go back to basics like a golfer who's hitting his 8 iron poorly...plenty of practice with the long chipping - in Gram's case running kicks while the other blokes are doing other skills. It's the one he must focus on.
I hope they have someone chasing him in those drills. It would hardly be the same intensity otherwise.
I think the first step for his kicking is just repetition in the first intance.

Same as a golfer on the driving range, not necessary to have pressure, just the repetition and getting the system back in place - then step it up.

Then set CJ onto him :evil:

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Bally was in our best 2 or 3 players on Sunday. Whilst he isn't playing as well as he did in 04/05 he is going about his business very well and apart from the Essendon game has been doing well.

Bally has been playing his role very nicely. 13 contested possessions and 77% disposal efficiency on sunday - not bad!

saintly_safes
Club Player

IMO Lukey B is doing exactly what the coach is asking of him & sacrificing his own game for the benifit of the team . IMO Mini & Gwilt have dropped off in the last few games & I think you can really see the difference when you have a few players down. In the first 7 games everyone was pulling their weight but in the last 2 weeks we have had a few passengers . All in all the team has performed way above expectation so we carnt be to critical

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Geary come finals time will be very good. He has not quite been playing as a mid though fora lot of the game. Geary to me has HUGE upside as he seems to have that extra touch of class about him and is agod finisher capable of kicking golas on the run from a long way out...a type of player we have lacked.

Eddy was ok, but has lacked geary finishing skils.

McQualter has been steady..but yes for him is in career best form.

Legendary
Club Player

13 contested possessions, 13 kicks, 9 clearances and 10 tackles from Ball on the weekend.

Absolutely phenomenal contested footy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:13 contested possessions, 13 kicks, 9 clearances and 10 tackles from Ball on the weekend.

True..but a lot of his handballs and kicks were poor (though no lone ranger there) with some real shockers.

And yes Ball has been good this year..but IMO he has not been excellent and in "career best form". I am not knocking Ball..more just pointing out how the others have improved.

Bally to me has adopted the "grunt" role in the midfield.

send out the runner
Club Player

I would think "Haven a " is in good form and love his work around stoppages. You would be hard pressed to find him "cheating", getting posessions on the wind. In and under, by a far stretch.

IMO Gramy probaby should forget about shots at goal from 50 and out. Would be better finding a target( which he can do) from there. When 40 & -, then should aim up. Just needs to know his limitations on his kicking.

I think all players have done there job at one time or another during the 9 weeks. Continuity, continuity, continuity. is the key for another player(s)to cover for a player(s) that are a tad off their game.

It is more important to know your team mates game inside and out, knowing when they are not at the optimum output, and knowing when to cover. This can only be achieved by the constant of the same 22 on the park as long as possible baring in mind forced changes.

This also assist on the track when 22 are playing & training together. The players waiting their turn start to think and work to the beat of the same drum. So when elevated they come in well drilled with the system, style & game plans.

See Geelong when does a player come into the side for geelong look like they have no idea. They slot in and know what, where, when and how....."TO DO"

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
Legendary wrote:13 contested possessions, 13 kicks, 9 clearances and 10 tackles from Ball on the weekend.
True..but a lot of his handballs and kicks were poor (though no lone ranger there) with some real shockers.
And yes Ball has been good this year..but IMO he has not been excellent and in "career best form". I am not knocking Ball..more just pointing out how the others have improved.
Bally to me has adopted the "grunt" role in the midfield.
SR I usually like your work - but FFS - 26 possies ... 77% efficency and the above stats - you obviously did not check his stats. Worthy of Brownlow votes this week - the engine room!!
More clearances than anyone - and tackles :shock:
BOG?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Nobody is simply making up the numbers like in previous years.
All 22 are contributing.
its a bit of a cliche to say that all 22 are contributing

fact is our stars are playing super footy and a few young one have come good

that doesnt make 22

leigh matthews said one that there are 6 average players that are in every premiership team and just were lucky enough to be in with a good bunch of other plays

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.