can we draft scholarship player Murphy next year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

can we draft scholarship player Murphy next year

Can young murphy get picked up by us or does Sydney can pick him up under father and son

trevor barker
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: can we draft scholarship player Murphy next year

JABBER wrote:Can young murphy get picked up by us or does Sydney can pick him up under father and son
we can pick him up as he is a scholarship player for us.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: can we draft scholarship player Murphy next year

saintly wrote:
JABBER wrote:Can young murphy get picked up by us or does Sydney can pick him up under father and son
we can pick him up as he is a scholarship player for us.
And to confirm..Sydney cannot gazzump our claim witha father-son.
He is ours if we want him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

The age requirement for last years national draft was 17 2/3 by the end of the year.
The rookie draft requirement was 18 by the end of the year.

This year the age requirement for the national draft is raised to 18 by the end of the year, the same as the rookie draft.
That is why the national draft is expected to be thin - only 2/3 as many players eligible.
However Gold Coast Bikinis can sign 12 kids aged between 17 2/3 and 18.

In the case of Kane Murphy he was born 1 December 1992.
He does not turn 18 until 2010.
He is not elible to be rookied by St Kilda or drafted until NEXT year.
His first season would be 2011.

So no, Sydney can not get him for next year but neither can St Kilda.

They say superannuation is your money but not yet, you have to wait..
Murphy is St Kilda's player but not yet, you have to wait.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

His father was David Murphy who played 156 games between 1984 & 1993 for the Sydney Swans.
Father-son rule requires 100 AFL games.
He would be eligible for a Sydney father-son draft pick in the draft after next if St Kilda were to cut him loose.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

He's not ours yet. Players have to agree to be drafted by their scholarship teams, just the same as they have to agree to the F/S rule. If he decides he wants to stay in Sydney, there's not much we can do about it. He could also decide to be taken by neither if he wanted to enter the draft. If he's a 2010 pick, he may also be tempted by the possibility of walking straight into the AFL with the GC.

I reckon he's made a very smart decision in that he has much more control over his career than most players his age. It's really up to the club at this point to convince him that this is the club that he wants to be at in the future.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintly
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:His father was David Murphy who played 156 games between 1984 & 1993 for the Sydney Swans.
Father-son rule requires 100 AFL games.
He would be eligible for a Sydney father-son draft pick in the draft after next if St Kilda were to cut him loose.
that is IF Stkilda cut him loose.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:He's not ours yet. Players have to agree to be drafted by their scholarship teams, just the same as they have to agree to the F/S rule. If he decides he wants to stay in Sydney, there's not much we can do about it. He could also decide to be taken by neither if he wanted to enter the draft. If he's a 2010 pick, he may also be tempted by the possibility of walking straight into the AFL with the GC.

I reckon he's made a very smart decision in that he has much more control over his career than most players his age. It's really up to the club at this point to convince him that this is the club that he wants to be at in the future.
As far as I am aware, the saints have 1st dibs on hiim. He cannot enter the draft

santazzi
Club Player

What is he like? Potential??

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintly wrote:As far as I am aware, the saints have 1st dibs on hiim. He cannot enter the draft
I'm not sure what happens if we offer him a senior spot. In that case, we may get first dibs to protect our investment. Only two scholarship players have been offered senior spots so far though. If we offer him a rookie list spot, then he definitely can choose where he goes.

ace
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
saintly wrote:As far as I am aware, the saints have 1st dibs on hiim. He cannot enter the draft
I'm not sure what happens if we offer him a senior spot. In that case, we may get first dibs to protect our investment. Only two scholarship players have been offered senior spots so far though. If we offer him a rookie list spot, then he definitely can choose where he goes.
Any player can always refuse to sign a contract.
That however does not necessarily mean he then becomes a free agent.

When a player enters the draft they sign a document that requires them to comply with the draft rules which exclude them from future drafts if they violate the rules.
I would assume (making an ass out of you and me) that similar clauses are inserted in the NSW scholarship agreements.

This is where restraint of free trade arguments come into play.
Why the AFL has never become the employer of all players and then assigned players to clubs for a fee I can not explain.
Last edited by ace on Tue 26 May 2009 3:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

ace wrote:Any player can always refuse to sign a contract.
I wasn't alking about free agency. I was saying that in this case, if the Saints offer Murphy a rookie spot, he can opt to turn it down and enter the draft. I don't know if he has to sign with us if he's offered a senior spot.

ace
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
ace wrote:Any player can always refuse to sign a contract.
I wasn't alking about free agency. I was saying that in this case, if the Saints offer Murphy a rookie spot, he can opt to turn it down and enter the draft. I don't know if he has to sign with us if he's offered a senior spot.
I would hope that the draft rules were written by someone with moderate competency.
In that case St Kilda's offer of a senior place would exclude him from the draft but one can never be sure with the ineptitude of the AFL.

Natham Buckley never wanted to play for Brisbane.
There was a lot of suspicion but no proof that he had already done a deal (and supporter money involved) with Collingwood.

He was zoned to Brisbane but considered by most to be worthy of a No1 pick in a fair draft.
He signed with Brisbane for one year but never intended to stay.
Brisbane was forced to cut their loses and accept a lousy pick 12 from Collingwood.
They did get Chris Scott but he was never in Buckley's class.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

ace wrote:I would hope that the draft rules were written by someone with moderate competency.
In that case St Kilda's offer of a senior place would exclude him from the draft but one can never be sure with the ineptitude of the AFL.
Offering a player a F/S spot doesn't bind them to a team. It's slightly different in this case as there is a significant financial investment made by the scholarship team. However, in terms of fairness, the team has the right to refuse the player, so why shouldn't the player be given the option of refusing the team? St Kilda might have been a great fit for him when he signed, but might not be by the time he's drafted.

The whole scholarship process seems geared at keeping NSW kids out of the draft though.

goodie
Club Player

santazzi wrote:What is he like? Potential??
Apparently the kids got the skills, height is the major concern. Only 168cm according to the Saints site.

Word was that's why the Swans didn't sign him to the scholarship scheme, leading to us swooping and in and now having first dibs.

As a point of comparison, the shortest player currently in the AFL is Alwyn Davey at 171cm

stinger
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:
Apparently the kids got the skills, height is the major concern. Only 168cm according to the Saints site.

Word was that's why the Swans didn't sign him to the scholarship scheme, leading to us swooping and in and now having first dibs.

As a point of comparison, the shortest player currently in the AFL is Alwyn Davey at 171cm
he may have grown a tad since then

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

One player I would like to see train with us during the pre season again is that Irish player Tommy Walsh

He has the height and speed to be a good catch.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:One player I would like to see train with us during the pre season again is that Irish player Tommy Walsh

It is hopefully a good plus of us having a good year this year...if he decides to give AFL a go..he is lot more likely to opt for the Saints.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:One player I would like to see train with us during the pre season again is that Irish player Tommy Walsh

It is hopefully a good plus of us having a good year this year...if he decides to give AFL a go..he is lot more likely to opt for the Saints.
I thought the same thing with us having a good year...

I hate to high jack the thread but if this player can adapt and with his height, he could be anything...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
goodie
Club Player

stinger wrote:
goodie wrote:

he may have grown a tad since then
He probably has, and will probably grow more. But the average height of an AFL player keeps rising, and you have to be exceptionally skilled and/or exceptionally fast to get away with less

ace
Saintsational Legend

It would be great to get Tommy Walsh, he has all the attributes, he is like Riewoldt and Johnathan Brown the way he plays the Irish game.
Determined to dominate.
He can easily be taught to kick and handball at leaat as good as C.J.

Only problem is that his father is the senior coach at his team and dad believes heavily in the cultural aspects of Gaelic football.
His dad has probably filled his head with dreams of winning an All Ireland Final.
We probaby need to work on his dad as much as the kid if we want to get him to play in Australia.