Another Story on Gram: Mark Stevens

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Another Story on Gram: Mark Stevens

From SuperFooty:

JASON Gram was not a naughty boy off-field, but it is understood his on-field performances are a concern at St Kilda.
It is believed form, as much as injury, was the reason Gram played in the VFL on Sunday.

St Kilda is adamant Gram was left out because of thigh soreness, which improved enough later in the week for him to play for Sandringham.

A source confirmed there was "nothing sinister" in his omission and he had not broken a club discipline, such as arriving late for training.

But for all of Gram's daring run this year, he has struggled to hit targets and it is understood the Saints have had concerns with his form.

Gram's kicking efficiency this year is 53.8 per cent - the lowest of any player in the competition to have more than 100 kicks. After eight rounds he was No. 1 for forward 50 entries, but was regularly turning the ball over.

Last year Gram's kicking efficiency rate was 75.2 per cent.

Gram is averaging 2.6 tackles a game - although he is not one of the Saints' prime tacklers - and it is his role is to add much-needed run and carry.

Usually an automatic selection in the senior team, Gram went around in the VFL and was named among the side's best in its three-point loss to the Cats.

Saints football manager Greg Hutchison said Gram was a victim of circumstances and there was no disciplinary reason for him doing a week in the lower grade.

"Early in the week his preparation wasn't quite where we thought it would be to get him to the line for the weekend," Hutchison said.

"Because you have to make your decisions for your teams on Friday, we had to leave him out."

Key assistant coach Leigh Tudor was discharged from hospital on Sunday, but missed his second match at the weekend.

Tudor suffered an acute case of appendicitis almost two weeks ago.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I wonder under what name Mark Stevens posts on here?
He seems to be getting quite a bit of info from here lately.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

On field or off field, who would know....

I am leaning towards the not doing enough to get up for the game (like missing his physio appointment) and the leadership group becoming involved.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

who cares?

The guy was struggling form wise - many on here have said it. Sure run and carry...but to then what...turn it over?

Why not give him a run at lower level - take the heat off his injury and just maybe improve his confidence disposal wise?

storm tea cup.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I care

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I care
ok..

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If the leadership group took a stance on this, because of poor preperation....I personally think it's fantastic for the club.

Fair enough it may be a non-story to discuss all the why's and what for's as far as Gram is concerned, but if our club is aiming for nothing short of excellence....well yes, I think that is a topic of conversation.

OK? :wink:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

If the rehab/physio thing is what this is all about...for a bloke NOT to do the most basic thing in order to satisfy a 9-0 club that he's hunky-dory about things reeks of entirely misplaced arrogance. I hope the foot up his a-se stung and the punishment lifts him. We are not the kind of club that can afford to leave stones unturned IMO. Pursuit of excellence, perfect preparation etc etc.

Then again if its a simple case of being NQR at the wrong end of the week, I hope a rest freshens him and he comes up here on Saturday night and goes BERSERK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to read that Luke Miles warmed up with the Saints, then when all was declared AOK with the starting 22, drove to Sandringham and played the 2nd half with the Zebras.

I assume that meant Sandy were one interchange short in the 1st half.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Another Story on Gram: Mark Stevens

thirty-seven!? wrote:Gram's kicking efficiency this year is 53.8 per cent - the lowest of any player in the competition to have more than 100 kicks. After eight rounds he was No. 1 for forward 50 entries, but was regularly turning the ball over.

wow, that's an impressive stat. i knew it had been bad, but worst in the comp of the midfielders? and yeah, last year he was pretty good.

i wonder what it takes to improve this?

marksnsparks
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:Gram's kicking efficiency this year is 53.8 per cent - the lowest of any player in the competition to have more than 100 kicks. After eight rounds he was No. 1 for forward 50 entries, but was regularly turning the ball over.

wow, that's an impressive stat. i knew it had been bad, but worst in the comp of the midfielders? and yeah, last year he was pretty good.

It will be all in his head. Must be a confidence thing. Hope he comes good soon! We missed him on Sunday.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

I have a feeling that he will improve after this action, he would be smarting from the humiliation of it all and hopefully keen to prove himself....

We need him, but he needs to need us....taking away what he loves, may just help with this.

Saints43
Club Player

bergholt wrote:

I'm surprised that it was measured at 75.2 per cent last year.

What defines 'kicking effciency' ?