Jason Blake!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sax
Club Player

Jason Blake!

A lot of posters on here are calling for Gwilt's head!
I'm sorry to say, but our two "weakest links" on Sunday were Bakes and Blake.
Blake was our worst by far.
10 disp (2 cont, 8 unc), 3 mks (0 cont), 3 clangers, 0 FF, 3 FA, 2 tack, 100 % TOG

To me, bring Max back for Blake. A far better option in defence!
I know Jason had a good start to the year and I'm probably gonna get blasted, but he is just a DEPTH player.
Sorry to all you Blake supporters!

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

i do think blake has been okay but yer Hudghton better option, Zac and Hudghton i think can take the two most important forwards with Fish drifting as the running back flanker. Although Blake is a great thing to have for depth

noob
Club Player

Blake plays pretty well in most of his games, but what does let him down is that he gives away so many silly frees compared to most of our other back six.

linz
Club Player

It's all about opinions. I respect yours but I don't agree with it.

I reckon Gwilt was our worst player and he should be replaced by Maguire.

Cometh the Goose :D :D :D

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Jason Blake knows he had a bad game, you could see it in his body language. I am beginning to think that the depth players pushing for selection, could be adding a whole other pressure to players in his position. It's like he was almost overthinking it....just a thought!

sax
Club Player

linz wrote:It's all about opinions. I respect yours but I don't agree with it.

Gwilt wasn't that far in front, but stats don't lie!

linz
Club Player

sax wrote:
linz wrote:It's all about opinions. I respect yours but I don't agree with it.

Gwilt wasn't that far in front, but stats don't lie!
I was there at the game with 27000 other Saints supporters and Gwilt was krappolla. He isn't always that way but on Sunday he was. Given our supposed depth; I reckon now is the time to use it. Penalise players who play kkkrap games and replace them with up and coming players like Maguire (who is about to play his 100th game).

barneyboyz
Club Player

I guess that we as supporters haven't had to deal with these issues much over the years, as there isn't usually much left in the rack after getting the best 22 out there. I see a group of coaches though that have much experience at this collectively and I trust in them to know what to do, all good teams have to make the hard decisions though and mostly it pays off.

My belief is that if you are dropped from a successful team just due to form, there must be a clear path to regaining your spot, but not necessarily to making it easier to break into the team in the first place, as with Max & Matt, these guys must come in, but not simply at the expense of a guy who has been busting his gut.

I think Max will have a date with some big forwards over the next couple of months, but he just has to wait

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bringing players in and out all the time can have it's drawbacks as well....

I think if we persist with Gwilt, he has shown enough that he will reward us for the faith shown.

linz
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote:I guess that we as supporters haven't had to deal with these issues much over the years, as there isn't usually much left in the rack after getting the best 22 out there. I see a group of coaches though that have much experience at this collectively and I trust in them to know what to do, all good teams have to make the hard decisions though and mostly it pays off.

My belief is that if you are dropped from a successful team just due to form, there must be a clear path to regaining your spot, but not necessarily to making it easier to break into the team in the first place, as with Max & Matt, these guys must come in, but not simply at the expense of a guy who has been busting his gut.

I think Max will have a date with some big forwards over the next couple of months, but he just has to wait

Goognight

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Jason Blake knows he had a bad game, you could see it in his body language. I am beginning to think that the depth players pushing for selection, could be adding a whole other pressure to players in his position. It's like he was almost overthinking it....just a thought!
I think you are very right on this one!

To make matters harder for him, he didnt look like he really had a position on the weekend...

I couldnt make it to the game (so only saw it on TV), so can anyone tell me whether he spent most of his time in defence? Or was he roaming? From what i saw, most of his possessions seemed to come on a wing... He looked lost, angry and as OWTS said, feeling the pressure!

barneyboyz
Club Player

As a side note, we St Kilda supporters should learn something from history if we ever want to win another premiership and that is, that these premierships and associated very good teams, are usually more of a result from having the so called "depth" players than sheer stars. If it was simply a matter of having stars in your side, then we should have more cups than cupboards, right?

The better players will get a go, but we must refrain from following Jimmy's and J. B's every move, just to justify dropping them; mark this down, if we are to win the thing soon, I bet one or both these players are in the team at the time, (oh and hopefully Max and Goose too)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Ross has stated that Max will be back before the break.

3 games to go, now would be as good a time as any to bring Max in for Blake.

Gwilt was ok.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
widereceiver
Club Player

Not a great game, copped a heavy knock on the shoulder FWIW.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
barneyboyz
Club Player

linz wrote:
barneyboyz wrote:I guess that we as supporters haven't had to deal with these issues much over the years, as there isn't usually much left in the rack after getting the best 22 out there. I see a group of coaches though that have much experience at this collectively and I trust in them to know what to do, all good teams have to make the hard decisions though and mostly it pays off.

Goognight
Get FARKED

and goodnight to you, flog

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

BLAKE is gone. MAX in for BLAKE. MAGUIRE TOO ahead of BLAKE.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:To make matters harder for him, he didnt look like he really had a position on the weekend...

I couldnt make it to the game (so only saw it on TV), so can anyone tell me whether he spent most of his time in defence? Or was he roaming? From what i saw, most of his possessions seemed to come on a wing... He looked lost, angry and as OWTS said, feeling the pressure!
he played spare parts at the back for most of the game, which meant that he ended up on a small, a lot of the time. i think he was on polkinghorne when the kid kicked a couple. i don't like seeing jb play on a small.

and then he was pushed down into the forward line at the start of the last, but didn't get a touch down there, and spent most of the last quarter wandering through the centre without getting too near the ball.

useful player for his versatility, but i feel fairly nervous if he's one-out in defence.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Even though a lot of people have been talking him up this year I still stand by what I've said that I can't see it. I think he's been struggling to really fit into this tempo and structure that the rest of the bottom six have really relished in and stepped up.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: Jason Blake!

sax wrote:Blake was our worst by far.
10 disp (2 cont, 8 unc), 3 mks (0 cont), 3 clangers, 0 FF, 3 FA, 2 tack, 100 % TOG
The three clangers were his frees against. Blake had no disposal clangers.

I think Zac has bumped him out from key defence. Ross has tried to find him another spot the last couple of weeks using him on smalls and briefly up forward. I think there's a decent chance that Blake will be the one to go for Max. You could bring in Max to play as a tall and push Fisher out from key back. It could equally be Baker though.

Blake may have to reinvent himself again. This time though, he may have to do it in the twos. It does seem a bit harsh though, given he's had at least 18 disposals in seven of our nine games so far.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

If Blake gets dropped, I hope none of you will whinge when we get beaten through lack of flexibility.

When Blake was moved to the forward line and Dal and bj to the half back line, we kicked 6.1 in the final quarter.

Blake had a hand in the first goal to kosi and then was used to stretch the defence allowing Roo and Milne to kick our winning score.

Max cannot go forward. he hasn't got the flexibility of Blake and limits the team structure.

Not saying somebody else cant go forward but Blake can play in the ruck, on the ball (remember his third qtr against the Hawks last year) down back, or up forward.

Blakes utility strengths are vital to Ross being able to juggle the team about and come up with a winning formula. Blake is not a world beater, but does a vital team role that allows Roo or Kosi or Schneider or Milne to pop up and kick goals, or takes the pressure of Zac, or be a chop out for a tagged Dal Santo, or can help in the ruck in case of injury or our rucks getting badly beaten.

Brisbane would have killed to hae a blake in their team on Sunday.

Look at the whole picture before going off half cocked about dropping our most versatile utility.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:If Blake gets dropped, I hope none of you will whinge when we get beaten through lack of flexibility.

When Blake was moved to the forward line and Dal and bj to the half back line, we kicked 6.1 in the final quarter.

Blake had a hand in the first goal to kosi and then was used to stretch the defence allowing Roo and Milne to kick our winning score.

Max cannot go forward. he hasn't got the flexibility of Blake and limits the team structure.

Not saying somebody else cant go forward but Blake can play in the ruck, on the ball (remember his third qtr against the Hawks last year) down back, or up forward.

Blakes utility strengths are vital to Ross being able to juggle the team about and come up with a winning formula. Blake is not a world beater, but does a vital team role that allows Roo or Kosi or Schneider or Milne to pop up and kick goals, or takes the pressure of Zac, or be a chop out for a tagged Dal Santo, or can help in the ruck in case of injury or our rucks getting badly beaten.

Look at the whole picture before going off half cocked about dropping our most versatile utility.
Somehow I don't think he will be the difference between winning and losing. I do have a soft spot for anyone who give 100 % effort from the first bounce to the last but that unco clumsiness can be very costly will always be his downfall.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
joffaboy wrote:If Blake gets dropped, I hope none of you will whinge when we get beaten through lack of flexibility.

Somehow I don't think he will be the difference between winning and losing. I do have a soft spot for anyone who give 100 % effort from the first bounce to the last but that unco clumsiness can be very costly will always be his downfall.
Why highlight the first sentance?

Please attempt to not take one sentance out of context.

Did I say Blake was a champion and would be the difference?

Did you happen to hear what Ross said after the game and how he had the opportunity to switch Blake to the forward line and stretch the Lions with talls?

What happens if we have an injury in the ruck?

What happens if our mids are getting flogged?

What happens if we need an extra tall indefence?

Can max play in any of those four roles?

It is important to realise what Blake brings to team balance and flexibility.

Who allows our champions to have the opportunity to win us our games? Players like cj and Blake who do their jobs but will never be champions.

Team balance needs to be looked at when a player is selected or dropped.

Why wasn't Max or Goose selected when Gram was unavailable? Because Raph is a better fit.

So in essence Blake may not win us a game (could be argued he did in a final against Goodes and last year against the Hawks) but for people to blithely say to drop him without considering the above is just plain silly.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

Why highlight the first sentance?

Did you happen to hear what Ross said after the game and how he had the opportunity to switch Blake to the forward line and stretch the Lions with talls?

It is important to realise what Blake brings to team balance and flexibility.

Who allows our champions to have the opportunity to win us our games? Players like cj and Blake who do their jobs but will never be champions.

Team balance needs to be looked at when a player is selected or dropped.

Why wasn't Max or Goose selected when Gram was unavailable? Because Raph is a better fit.

So in essence Blake may not win us a game (could be argued he did in a final against Goodes and last year against the Hawks) but for people to blithely say to drop him without considering the above is just plain silly.

Yeah your probably right.

Not directly but it sort of reads like that

No I missed that how efficient was he because I honestly didn't see all the things he did.

Then we have to use what we have but that doesn't mean he's going to be that effective he's just the taller option than almost all the others and your not going to waste Roo or Kosi there. If he was that good an option for the ruck he'd play there more often.

I don't know your not trying to say he can cover as a mid fielder are you?

As the ruck you can only use what you got not because he performs there extremely well.

Wow you are referring to him as an optional Mid fielder but I definitely don't. I'd rather have a top player like Max play 1 position reliably well winning that position week in and out, than have someone floating around doing some good things and tripping over himself making a lot of costly mistakes.

If we could have another Max ( 1 position Player ) 25 years old would you rather Blake?
I know we can't have 22 Champions and Blake's in between physical structure makes him more versatile than the others but IMO he only barely holds any of them and I'd rather a much better player who can play 1 of those positions very well.

I still admire and give 10 out of 10 for his attitude and effort though.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Blake is untouchable according to St Kilda supporters.....along with the other 21 players that play each week we win.

They are all stars, no one should ever get dropped.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Blake is untouchable according to St Kilda supporters.....along with the other 21 players that play each week we win.

They are all stars, no one should ever get dropped.
Players should be dropped if their form is poor and there is better options for them in the seconds. No point in dropping Blake for McEvoy. They need to be replaced by similar players. Also there is ahuge difference between grades of footy. Raph didnt exactly set the worls alight this week so playing well in the seconds doesnt guarentee you will be better than the player you replace.