Blake?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

Blake?

Was left a little confused by the use of Jason Blake today. In my opinion the reason we select Blake is as a key back, he is handy as he also has the big tank and the ability to throw up a totallly different looking ruck set up if we need one.

Today Blake took Brennan and Fisher got Brown, Zac had Bradshaw when he was forward. To me if Blake is going to be in the side it needs to be to take one of the 2 big key forwards so Fisher doesnt have to. Would rather have seen Goose on Brown and Fisher go to Brennan if Blake is not good enough to play on key backs I fail to see his worth to the team.

We really missed Fishers disposals up the ground and Brennan beat Blake well around stoppages etc, think he had a third of their clearances.

Not having a go at Blake just at the match ups/selection.

Maybe this year?
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

blake played well and did the needful.

if blake was at Melbourne he'd be their no.1 or no.2 defender.

we are lucky to have someone like him as our no.3 or no.4 tall defender.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Blake was Poor......

I would like to see him on a key fwd....although Sam Shelton beat him one on one in a contest today....

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Blake?

rexy wrote:Was left a little confused by the use of Jason Blake today. In my opinion the reason we select Blake is as a key back, he is handy as he also has the big tank and the ability to throw up a totallly different looking ruck set up if we need one.

Today Blake took Brennan and Fisher got Brown, Zac had Bradshaw when he was forward. To me if Blake is going to be in the side it needs to be to take one of the 2 big key forwards so Fisher doesnt have to. Would rather have seen Goose on Brown and Fisher go to Brennan if Blake is not good enough to play on key backs I fail to see his worth to the team.

We really missed Fishers disposals up the ground and Brennan beat Blake well around stoppages etc, think he had a third of their clearances.

Not having a go at Blake just at the match ups/selection.
Agree 100%, was also very confused, Max needs to play soon.
Dawson's best game today, Fisher played well on Brown, but Blake had his worst for the year, did not beat his opponent and his disposal was below par

battye
Saintsational Legend

Blake didn't have a great game (not alone), but he doesn't deserve to be dropped for one performance alone. He has been fantastic this year.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saint vince
Club Player

I didn't think he played on Brennan much at all. Brennan spent most of his time on the ball or as the loose man at times. I didn't really notice who was on him after 1st quarter. I think BJ was on him early

rexy
SS Life Member

battye wrote:Blake didn't have a great game (not alone), but he doesn't deserve to be dropped for one performance alone. He has been fantastic this year.
If not dropped then needs to be played on key forwards is all i'm saying.

Maybe this year?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

reckon he should be in danger of losing his spot to Max IMO

Who would you prefer, 2 of
Max
Blake
Dawson

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

He's had a great year.

He's a potential weak link due to the obvious flaws in his game, but he's generally learned to cover them.

He certainly divides opinion and with good reason. I wouldn't be dropping him on that effort alone, but...Max, Matt...

Food for thought.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

the question comes down to balance of attack v defence in the backline. Can we afford to not release chips when max comes back. That was zac's best game but he is a shut down player similar to max and neil. I only believe two of those players can be fitted in. Right now it's blake out max in and blake is stiff

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

We lose a heap of flexibilty dropping Blake for Max or Goose.

Blake takes the third tall in defence - can ruck if necessary - can play in the centre (third qtr Haks last season) can go forward as a third tall (today).

Gives Ross so much flexibility and allows him to swing players about. Max is a FB and thats it. Goose is too slow for defence - can play in the ruck and may be a third tall.

Look elsewhere for a place for Max or Goose.

Dempster back for Sandy next week apparently - so more pleasant headaches coming up.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

We need to look at this issue a little differently.

It's not that Blake is not as good as he was, it's just that others are putting pressure on him and, in some cases, have gone past him.

We have Hudghton, Maguire, Fisher, Dawson, Gilbert and Blake as key backs. The preference by the club is to play Fisher and Gilbert away from the key defensive post to allow Gram and BJ to play through the middle.

That leaves Hudghton, Maguire, Dawson and Blake to cover the key backs. Most weeks we only need two of those to play. On form, you can't drop Dawson. He has proven to be up to the task of the big roles each week and seems to be a wonderful succession plan for Max. Speaking of which, he will certainly play when fit. Which leaves Maguire and Blake on the outer (so to speak)...That is nothing against either of those two but rather an indication of the improvement in our backline.

To ensure that Blake keeps his spot, he needs to improve his decision making...That is not only disposing of the ball but also how to legally stop an opponent. He is giving away too many sloppy free kicks.

The next few weeks will tell what the coaches are thinking.

rexy
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Blake takes the third tall in defence
This was not he case last year or at the start of this year and this is the point I am making. Blake needs to take the second tall in defence, this is all part of his versatility as it releases fisher from being the key back and allows him to be one of if not the best back flankers in the game (as proven by his all australian selection).

I also disagree that Goose will be to slow to play CHB but this is beside the point. the point is that Dawson and Blake need to take the op. big forwards.

Maybe this year?
saintly_safes
Club Player

Jason didnt have his best game today & he would be the first to admit it. Blake is the fall guy when things turn to s***.He always gets a tough assignment 95% of the time he does exactly what he has been instructed to do.Today I agree he had an ordinary game but the swiss army knife is a definate starter in our best 22 every week.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

It's good that Blake can be so versatile, but he does need to do the one thing he's in the team for, key back.

Max today would have been a better bet for mine, I don't think we need a thrid ruck, even if one goes down.

Maybe a third forward would let Kosi relieve instead of Blake.

Blake is on the fringe, but at the moment I think Zac has his spot, a defence of

Baker Dawson Max
Raph Fisher Gilbert

is very flexible and provides loads of run.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I'd give Goose Blake's spot, as i can't see Blake doing anything that Goose couldn't, or someone Goose frees up couldn't (Fisher, Gilbert)

and i believe Goose has a much bigger upside

tezza1
Club Player

continually makes dumb football decisions does blake .

We have not had many goals kicked against us this year but dumb decisions from blake would have accounted for quite a few.

I think a fit maguire would be a far superior option to blake

Go Sainters !!!!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:We lose a heap of flexibilty dropping Blake for Max or Goose.

Blake takes the third tall in defence - can ruck if necessary - can play in the centre (third qtr Haks last season) can go forward as a third tall (today).
Disagree

Max can take the third tall, or the second or even the older primary forwards which IMO Blake can't do
You could put Max on Brown or Bradshaw and get numbers to help out but IMO Blake isn't as good at this role as he's not as good a spoiler and doesn't have good closing speed.

Blake generally doesn't do well up forward. Had odd good games but isn't fast, a good mark or a good kick... just gets in the way

Can pinch hit in the ruck only... against the #2 ruckman.

He's doing ok don't get me wrong, but atm he appears to be the weakest link down there

saintly_safes
Club Player

tezza1 wrote:continually makes dumb football decisions does blake .

We have not had many goals kicked against us this year but dumb decisions from blake would have accounted for quite a few.

I think a fit maguire would be a far superior option to blake

No disrespect to Mat but he dosent have the engine that Blake does.Mat would have blown up before half time. Imo all supporters (even our own ) under estimate his value to the team.How may guys can play the role Blake does? We all know he's not the greatest kick , we all know his decision making is not the best going around but hes got a heart like Pharlap & gives what ever hes got every week.Imo that is why we have done what we have this season , workers like Blake, CJ,Bakes even Lukey B slide under the radar when people assess were where were at :idea:

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

continally makes bad decisions...can't kick...looks damn average

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:continally makes bad decisions...can't kick...looks damn average
I'm actually staggered that we're 9-0 with a percentage of over 185%.

Given that all our defenders are sh1t, the on-ballers and forwards have been doing an unbelievable job to get us to this point.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:continally makes bad decisions...can't kick...looks damn average

Given that all our defenders are sh1t, the on-ballers and forwards have been doing an unbelievable job to get us to this point.

:wink: :lol: 8-) ...love ya work....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

at least you have actually see a live give MM :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

But obviously you can see/learn much more when not at the game.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

So are we trying to say Blake had a good game today, or just playing the man instead of the argument?

Blake got beaten today. Blake was bad with the ball today. He also gave away 3 free kicks.

I love the Blake, but today the description above fit him well.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford