Raph & Dal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Raph & Dal

After seeing todays game I'm pretty worried about Raph. Whilst we saw the form he's capable off before his injury, he just doesn't have the intensity or decision making to play effectively as a part of our gameplan. He hung back a lot and had no idea what to do at times. Some of his kicking (namely the kick in which resulted in a goal) was atrocious. I know he's coming back from injury but he needs to lift from his performance today.

For 3/4 of the game today, Dal was back to last years early form. He started hanging back, peeling off instead of sheparding, going in softly for the ball and so on. Is it just a coincidence when he finally decided to give a s*** we started to play well? I don't think so. I hope someone fired a rocket up his arse at three quarter time as we don't want to see him play like last season again.

Thoughts?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

One turn-over aside I thought Raf was clean with his hands and solid with his decisions.....good game

Dal was tagged well.......did not perform.....but like his other 'dropped' mate Milney had a good last term, after a poor first three

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Raph's 1st game in the seniors since Rd 1. 17 touches, made a few blues, will get better with more game time.

Dal was heavily tagged by Stiller, but the things he did were all class

It is extremely rare in AFL to have 22 winners in any particular game.

Enjoy the position we are in !!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Agree 100% on both.

Dal was good in the last quarter ,did the tough things,we got on top and won. Before that he was back to the old JT wannabe days..

Nothing new with Raph,apart from the end of last year this is his normal game..ordinary.

We miss Gram badly

Bring back the Lockett era
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

jonesy wrote: Nothing new with Raph,apart from the end of last year this is his normal game..ordinary.

We miss Gram badly
ditto

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
jonesy wrote: Nothing new with Raph,apart from the end of last year this is his normal game..ordinary.

We miss Gram badly
ditto
The Raph & Gwilt bashers don't take long to come out do they.

How about you lot find some new material because it's getting very old.

Raph's kick in for instance was intercepted after Lenny waited for the ball instead of going to get it. That didn't matter to the lemmings just waiting for the 'oh Raph' to be released.

As for Gram getting dropped, I support Ross 100% if he's trying to get something through to Jason. Grammy has a huge unfulfilled potential & maybe Ross is getting tough with him to make him a more complete player.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

BigMart wrote:One turn-over aside I thought Raf was clean with his hands and solid with his decisions.....good game
You didn't see his kick out from full back did you? Slow at making decisions... Did get better as the game went on

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I thought Raph was serviceable today.....First game back into the seniors after a layoff.

Good effort.

Dal worked through a tag....Good to see.
Last edited by Spinner on Sun 24 May 2009 8:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Raph went ok, just needs a few games under his belt, though he did some good things today. Dal just copped a heavy tag, played his part, we can't expect him to have blinders every week. Thought Dal was really good in the last quarter when it counted.

Carpe Diem
Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

I think Raph is a pretty good player... on his day.

I just don't think he suits the style of play. Hard running, intensive, smart football isn't really his go. You saw every other player running hard to tackle and stand on the mark, he didn't.

bungiton
SS Life Member

As for Dal, I find it hard that we can say Jones did a job on player X and completely took him out of the game, are we expecting to much of Dal or not giving enough credit to Stiiler who did a wonderful job on Dal.

Dal to his credit came back and was responsible for or had a hand in every goal we kicked in the last quarter.

The more concerning thing was how we slowed our possessions down, the play on quick style of game suits our forwards so much better, the chip it around and then bomb long crept in a few times too often today.

We missed the run and carry.
Last edited by bungiton on Sun 24 May 2009 8:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:

We miss Gram badly
ditto
The Raph & Gwilt bashers don't take long to come out do they.

How about you lot find some new material because it's getting very old.

Raph's kick in for instance was intercepted after Lenny waited for the ball instead of going to get it. That didn't matter to the lemmings just waiting for the 'oh Raph' to be released.

As for Gram getting dropped, I support Ross 100% if he's trying to get something through to Jason. Grammy has a huge unfulfilled potential & maybe Ross is getting tough with him to make him a more complete player.
Hardly a basher,just telling it how it is with Raph. Do we have to think they're all brilliant players? Raph struggles,simple as that.

Gram,unsure what happened with that decision? You might be right,it might have been a rocket. His attitude on the track leaves a lot to be desired from all reports...though I rate is value highly even if he is half hearted. I don't want to see him flogging away in the 2's for a month now,his body struggles as it is...so don't want him wasted in the 2's

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

Raph an d dal??? they actually were great when it mattered. BLAKE?? GONE...

Dawson? how good is this kid?? dawson keeps getting better.

rexy
SS Life Member

Thought Raphs last quarter was a lot better, but was concerned over his effort b4 that. Didnt think he was the only one but I thought he didnt comit to the contest or to making contests on a few occasions and struggled to stick a tackle. May struggle to hold his spot.

Thought Dal was tagged well but was still ok, actually thought he tackled well.

Gwilt was down on last weeks output in my mind, didnt stand out for his effort as much as last week.

thought Schneider really struggled with his decision making with ball in hand and quite often kicked to the wrong option or not at all.

Goddard had a lot of it and always does some good things with the footy but I think his finishing was a bit off due to a little bit less time to dispose than he would have liked.

Liked Zac Dawsons game again.

Maybe this year?
jackal
Club Player

Raph was Ok today (apart from the clanger kick out). I wouldn't call him an ordinary player..if anything is quite a good player with deceptive apce/skills and footy brain. Would be suprised if he gets dropped on that game. Best 22 for mine!

midas_touch
Club Player

Raph was pretty ordinary, but it was his first game back from a long spell out and so I expect him to get better with more game time. Dal was effectively shut down for most of the game, but responded when it mattered in the last term. However, he needs to learn to have a more complete output with a hard tag.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
vacuous space
SS Life Member

It was Raph's first AFL game in close to two months. He was clearly a little bit rusty, but went okay. It's a bit much to expect him to star in his first game back.

Dal was okay. Not great, not horrible. He was okay. His ball use was the main problem. That's not normal for him. He'll be fine.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
send out the runner
Club Player

I cannot believe the dribble that comes after each game. We will be pressured more and more as we go. We wont beat sides by 80+ every week. We wont have all players up every week. There are plans in place that change every week to suit each opposition team and ours every week, and unless you have played at this level......buy another cushion!

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Raph was good enough today, must be hard coming into a team playing as well as they are.

As others have said Dal had a v good last qtr, he was OK in the other 3, not the worst

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Goddard does a lot of pointing and directing but doesn't always do the things he wants other players to do..

He got a bit of the ball today but he wasn't quite on song.....

I think the opposition gets dejected when Gwilt goes to the bench.... :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
rexy
SS Life Member

send out the runner wrote:I cannot believe the dribble that comes after each game. We will be pressured more and more as we go. We wont beat sides by 80+ every week. We wont have all players up every week. There are plans in place that change every week to suit each opposition team and ours every week, and unless you have played at this level......buy another cushion!
Thought we were here to discuss the footy, what do you want us to talk about?

really liked the way Rooey did his hair today? Anyone notice Stephen milnes eyes look nice with the roof open? Good banner?

Maybe this year?
Solar
Saintsational Legend

very happy with raph's game apart from the kick in. He did a job in the backline and gives the rebound we lost with chips playing as a key back.

dal will have those games but was impressed that he kept working hard to get to contests. Thought our structure was bad and thus we were not able to get as much outside ball.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
send out the runner
Club Player

focus on positives.. there is a lot of work that goes on around each contest ie. positioning. If you noticed rooey hair style kudos to you, but to pot players for going back to "old ways" or having a pea heart, is not what you want from supporters. I doubt you would here this from Golong supporters.

yes there were players down today, but tell me you have gone to work and performed at 100% every day. To play at this level and be consistant is difficult, hense you have differnet best players nearly every week.

Kosi is doing "it" yet last year on here he wouldn't have been selected for the wonthaggi 3rd's

Focus on what we can control, continuity, skills and hard work coupled with great support!!!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
send out the runner wrote:I cannot believe the dribble that comes after each game. We will be pressured more and more as we go. We wont beat sides by 80+ every week. We wont have all players up every week. There are plans in place that change every week to suit each opposition team and ours every week, and unless you have played at this level......buy another cushion!
Thought we were here to discuss the footy, what do you want us to talk about?

really liked the way Rooey did his hair today? Anyone notice Stephen milnes eyes look nice with the roof open? Good banner?
Yeah true.
Better shut the site down :roll: ,unless we've got a handful of former players posting on here. Then we'll bow down to there genius analysis and us nuff nuffs can hang on to there every word

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:Raph an d dal??? they actually were great when it mattered. BLAKE?? GONE...

Dawson? how good is this kid?? dawson keeps getting better.
Dawson made more errors than Raph, Dal and Blake combined.
Still played a good game.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell