So who is happy we won?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote:We played shithouse today Joffa, and it was fairly blatant.

We have been carrying this sloppy form for the last few weeks and have been luckly to have played some lesser teams. Today it showed: poor disposal, poor decision making and costly turnovers.

Charman, Leunburger, Patful and Merrett didn't play, coupled with Hooper.

Riewoldt and Kossi played against kids, first gamers in fact, King and Gards rucked against nobodies.

Sorry if I don't have the same enthusiasm as your great self but that is not a performance that I believe would come close to challenging Geelong.

I'm ecstatic with the win, and rapt that we have a four game break.....but don't expect people to be talking premierships with that performance.
We were flat, granted. So were Geelong on Friday night. FFS, Geelong are only a team, they are not a machine and they are not unbeatable.

We won today and it is further proof of how good this side is, even when they are down on performance. They will not be up for every game. They will go through a flat spot. The fact that so far we have still won for the last 2 weeks even though we have been flat (against other potential finals contenders possibly as high as 3rd placers I might add) is proof of how good we are.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
Spinner wrote:Sorry if I don't have the same enthusiasm as your great self but that is not a performance that I believe would come close to challenging Geelong.
The same Geelong that JUST got over the line against the Dogs Friday night, after being 37 points up....?

That Geelong?

:roll:
Yep, that Geelong, the one that played one of last years preliminary finalists...the Geelong that had its center half forward suspended. That Geelong.

Geelong beat somebody on Friday night......We didn't today.
We beat a team that were 5 and 3 - what were the Dogs?

Teams can only play with who is available.

We beat a very determined team that was 5-3.

Geelong beat a team that was 5-3.

And they JUST beat them, after being 37 up.

FFS did you want us to lose today? :shock:

Fantastic effort from the team today.

http://finalsiren.com/AFLLadder.asp

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I have allways been against resting players.... but I think some of our fringe players need it after the last two weeks.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
Spinner wrote:Sorry if I don't have the same enthusiasm as your great self but that is not a performance that I believe would come close to challenging Geelong.
The same Geelong that JUST got over the line against the Dogs Friday night, after being 37 points up....?

That Geelong?

:roll:
Yep, that Geelong, the one that played one of last years preliminary finalists...the Geelong that had its center half forward suspended. That Geelong.

We beat a team that were 5 and 3 - what were the Dogs?

Teams can only play with who is available.

We beat a very determined team that was 5-3.

Geelong beat a team that was 5-3.

And they JUST beat them, after being 37 up.

FFS did you want us to lose today? :shock:

Fantastic effort from the team today.

http://finalsiren.com/AFLLadder.asp

Great stuff. And without fail the 'did you want us to lose' card comes straight out of the pocket. Very intellectual of you.

I'm ecstatic with the win - but I don't have to prove my credentials to you or anyone.

And lastly how could you honestly call today a 'fantastic effort'.....Clearly you either didn't watch the game, or you have no idea of what 'effort' it takes to play good football. Either one its clear that your opinion is not worth me discussing further. I don't debate make believe stuff.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:against an interstate team.....with their two KP defenders out......a team who was crunched by geelong by 100 points.......with 6 players under 10 games experience.......and we just ran over......

NO - not very impressed.....I would liked a more polished performance in a milestne game for a champ.....

If we want to be a contender, we need to play a better brand than that....but more of a worry was that we played a lot like early 2008....and not like r1-7 2009......a reliance on a few.....and a lot of passengers on the 'bus'

Yes we are 9-0........but so are Geelong.....and the Dogs and Hawks are warming up.....
Finally a poster that can separate what they want to believe and what they really think.

It also helps when your analysis is sophisticated and thorough. Well done.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
You mean the same somebody we flogged by 5 goals?

The one we flogged without Max Raph or Goose? (see I can also play this "we were without" game as well)

That one? Or were they nothing when we played them but - hey presto - when they play Geelong they are suddenly somebody?

This year must be killing the pessimists :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Great stuff. And without fail the 'did you want us to lose' card comes straight out of the pocket. Very intellectual of you.

I'm ecstatic with the win - but I don't have to prove my credentials to you or anyone.

And lastly how could you honestly call today a 'fantastic effort'.....Clearly you either didn't watch the game, or you have no idea of what 'effort' it takes to play good football. Either one its clear that your opinion is not worth me discussing further. I don't debate make believe stuff.
Not doubting your credentials Spinner, but we were playing 22 against 22, we were under the pump, and we came through.

Boo hoo Geelong had their CHF out suspended - we have been without our BEST backman for 9 games this year.

Resort to "no idea what effort is" - very intellectual of you... :wink:

Watched the game closely, saw us with our back against the wall, and saw a fantastic effort to turn the game around.

Go you Sainters.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Were you impressed today???

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I'm ecstatic with the win - but I don't have to prove my credentials to you or anyone.
But interestingly enough you felt compelled to post on this thread :D
Spinner wrote:And lastly how could you honestly call today a 'fantastic effort'.....Clearly you either didn't watch the game, or you have no idea of what 'effort' it takes to play good football. Either one its clear that your opinion is not worth me discussing further. I don't debate make believe stuff.
What about facts? Do you debate those?

How about 9-0
How about 183%
How about four games plus massive % clear?

How about the FACT we won AGAIN today?

Want to debate any of that? :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

We have been carrying this sloppy form for the last few weeks and have been luckly to have played some lesser teams. Today it showed: poor disposal, poor decision making and costly turnovers.

Riewoldt and Kossi played against kids, first gamers in fact, King and Gards rucked against nobodies.

Sorry if I don't have the same enthusiasm as your great self but that is not a performance that I believe would come close to challenging Geelong.

I'm ecstatic with the win, and rapt that we have a four game break.....but don't expect people to be talking premierships with that performance.
Spinner, Brisbane are proud and tenacious mob who before today were 5-3 and equal third off three straight wins. They tackled their guts out, kicked pretty much everything and couldn't really have done much more... Essendon's form leading in was pretty hot, too, BTW.

And yet, when the game was in the balance, we slipped her into overdrive and ran away.

AND if we perhaps kicked three of those missed, it'd be a 5-6 goal margin and no one would be saying boo.

Yes, there were a few flat spots in our side to day - Bakes, Blake, Ball, King for mine weren't really happening, but fair dinkum, we can only beat who we play.

Perspective, please.

Sainterman
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
BigMart wrote:against an interstate team.....with their two KP defenders out......a team who was crunched by geelong by 100 points.......with 6 players under 10 games experience.......and we just ran over......

NO - not very impressed.....I would liked a more polished performance in a milestne game for a champ.....

If we want to be a contender, we need to play a better brand than that....but more of a worry was that we played a lot like early 2008....and not like r1-7 2009......a reliance on a few.....and a lot of passengers on the 'bus'

Yes we are 9-0........but so are Geelong.....and the Dogs and Hawks are warming up.....
Finally a poster that can separate what they want to believe and what they really think.

It also helps when your analysis is sophisticated and thorough. Well done.
The inaccurate kicking didn't help. Would have been 5 goals up at half time had we have kicked some of those easy shots in the second. Maybe you might be a little happier then Spinner? I'd rather the glass half full at 9-0. I am certainly happy with the way things have been going, and the attitude of the boys all the way so far in season 09!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:

We were flat, granted. So were Geelong on Friday night. FFS, Geelong are only a team, they are not a machine and they are not unbeatable.

We won today and it is further proof of how good this side is, even when they are down on performance. They will not be up for every game. They will go through a flat spot. The fact that so far we have still won for the last 2 weeks even though we have been flat (against other potential finals contenders possibly as high as 3rd placers I might add) is proof of how good we are.

This whole posts relies on the assumption that we are on a flat patch.....How do you know?

I'd rather go on performance, which is fact. And hope we will get better rather than expect that we will.

Winning today did not prove how good we really are. How can you even think that. If anything it proved opposite.We were tested, for the second week in a row by a team that had no defence, no ruck and were playing interstate........But if that proves how good we are in your book, well thats just dandy.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:

and its ................. Round 9 :shock:

We are pacing ourselves beautifully :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Seperate the season from today........the OP asks who is happy we won.....not who is happy with 09....

if we played like we have been in 09.....a similar result to WCE/Freo game would have happened....

fact is we have played 3 good quarters in the last two games which have got us wins.......This win was NOT impressive.....

I was relieved with the win, considering the effort......not really happy with the overall performance...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Spinner wrote:I'm ecstatic with the win - but I don't have to prove my credentials to you or anyone.
But interestingly enough you felt compelled to post on this thread :D
Spinner wrote:And lastly how could you honestly call today a 'fantastic effort'.....Clearly you either didn't watch the game, or you have no idea of what 'effort' it takes to play good football. Either one its clear that your opinion is not worth me discussing further. I don't debate make believe stuff.
What about facts? Do you debate those?

How about 9-0
How about 183%
How about four games plus massive % clear?

How about the FACT we won AGAIN today?

Want to debate any of that? :wink:

Sorry was I discussing our performance today or for the whole season?

Am I not to discuss today's performance on the back of the last nine rounds?

Maybe I should discuss today's performance on the back of St Kilda's entire history.

Ill make it clearer - I was discussing todays (and aspects of last weeks) performance.

On a serious note Joffa - Surely you cant be content we the first three quarters. We were dismal, turnovers, poor disposal, poor decisions. It was nothing that could make me confident that we will be able to give the title a real shake this year.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I think we've played a couple of very hungry teams the last couple of weeks. They both played well and put a lot of pressure on us. We're not invincible. We could have lost today, but we didn't. We belted them at the stoppages and the contested ball. We scored on half our inside 50s, we just couldn't kick straight. We held them under 40 inside fifties, but they couldn't miss. I thought the score flattered them.

I was thrilled to get a win. We showed a lot of determination today.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I haven't yet watched the match due to commitments but will put it on soon.

I dont believe in changes for the sake of changes but I do believe we can make a change or two for the better even when we win.

Geelong make changes weekly and have needed to because of injury but if they kept the same side after every win their side would never change.

As I said I haven't watched the game yet so I wont name a player I think needs a run in the two's.

I am very happy with all games I have seen so far but still believe having such a settled side is not necessarily the be all and end all.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Not sure why we wouldnt be happy we won, not gonna smash every one every week

It seems that ppl forget we have not been beaten. At some point we will drop a game but its how we respond to that

The fact is we won with out playing our best, but WE WON

At the moment just enjoy :D

elvis lives
Club Player

I really hope Ross Lyon doesn't have the attitude that as long as we win every thing is hunky dory and we won't do any critical analysis of our performance or that of individual players. Being objective about our players and their performances after each game, regardless of the result, should be mandatory - it is hardy being chicken little.

win lose or draw, if there is a fit and in form player playing for sandy that is on balance a beter player than someone in the starting 22, then there should be a change. I can't see how you could argue any differently.

I am marching in the Saints army
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
On a serious note Joffa - Surely you cant be content we the first three quarters. We were dismal, turnovers, poor disposal, poor decisions. It was nothing that could make me confident that we will be able to give the title a real shake this year.
glad to see you not taking the piss take seriously spinner.

We were poor for two quarters today. We were beaten for hardness at the pill and tackles.

We relied the get out of jail card in Kosi and Roo far too often today.

But the real issue is the coaching of RL. Voss had two loose players filling the whole at CBH and Rossy did SFA about ti for the second and third qtrs.

He changed things about a bit in qtr four (Mr Flexibility Blake up forward) and we slaughtered the Brion ruckman with Gard and King dominating.

Actually the whole season was the point of the OP.

Look back to R1 at qtr time. We had shown nothing in the pre season and were getting slaughtered by Sydney.

We were looking at an almighty slide down the ladder.

Who of any of us suggested that we would be 9-0 with a 183% in top spot just two months later?

I come on here today and while there is justifiable critisism of our game - we get this shrill and hysterical crap from some supporters about dropping three to four players :roll:

really - i know this forum thrives on gloom and doom - but to read this whinging and harsh critisisms of our players after anothe rwin is just too much.

There is a case for mabye Jimmy have a rest and promoting Gram - but for people to deman Blake and Jim and Raph and half dozen others get dropped is bording on idiotic.

What message does it give a team. You are 9-0 and top of the ladder but f##k you - you are dropped???

Yeah great for morale.

One thing I will say about though. You have one bad game - bad luck - two you are on notice - three you are dropped. I would say Jimmy is on notice.

Lance or James??

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

the brions won their last 3 games, they were coming in with confidence, good form, aggressive tactics and a will to win.

we met the challenge, and crushed it.

we are a 12 shot at goal better side than they are.

as for missing players, gram, maguire, x clarke and maxy are in our best 22 when fit and in form.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I'll take today asa "bad" game any day...

Two highlights for me was the form of Gardi...and Zac.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bergsone
SS Life Member

I'm happy

Milton66
SS Life Member

Ok, so we didn't slaughter them today. Had we kicked straight, we should have won by 7 or 8 goals. They made the most of their opportunities, and good luck to them.

The guy on my left said that if we're as good as we think, we'll win. And we did.

The guy on my right said that good teams win under pressure. We did.

As is some people's want, the sky is now falling despite the fact that we're 9-0.

Did anybody really expect us to be 9-0? I doubt it.

It wasn't long ago that teams would get this sort of roll on us and we'd fal over. Mot the Saints of 2009.

Sure, some players were down, and as noted, they played 2loose men in defence.

Perhaps the biggest dissapointment for me today was inaccurate licking, and the lack of effort from our crumbers. But when it was time to stand up, we did.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Loyal wrote:umpiring was disgraceful.
lenny hayes beaned for holding on his feet.
blakey done for the same thing kicked the ball in a tackle - beaned.
umpiring was an absolute bloody disgrace.
Agree... Umpiring was poor for BOTH sides. There could easily have been a number of decisions go against us today which we got away with as well as decisions which should have gone our way but didnt.

Today's umps deserve a stint in the reserves!